Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Because he said it was:
    it shouldn't be, considering thats not how PCIe works, assuming the first card is plugged into the first slot and has a full x16 bandwidth, and additional cards will get x8, because the only other two slots are the board are x8, in SLI mode it will run in x16/x8 mode, not x8/x4 or x8/x8, or x16/x4, even if a sound card is plugged in, it will run x16/x8/x1

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    it shouldn't be, considering thats not how PCIe works, assuming the first card is plugged into the first slot and has a full x16 bandwidth, and additional cards will get x8, because the only other two slots are the board are x8, in SLI mode it will run in x16/x8 mode, not x8/x4 or x8/x8, or x16/x4, even if a sound card is plugged in, it will run x16/x8/x1
    From MSI's official specs: http://us.msi.com/product/mb/Z87G45_...#specification

PCI-E Gen
    Gen3 (16,0,0), (8,8,0), (8,4,4)
    So something was chomping up GPU lanes. My previous board had a similar option where you could reallocate lanes to different slot formats, one way or another. I honestly don't remember the option was called in Biostar language, though.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

10+ Year Old Account
    1150 has 32 PCIe lanes, 8 lanes on every intel board are send to the PCH (south bridge) for sata, usb, onboard sound, etc, that leaves 24 lanes on 1150 or 32 on 2011

that means that you can do x16 and x8 with the remaining lanes, and since the PCIe lanes go straight to the CPU, its not up to MSI to decide what gets used for what unless they have a 3rd party chip between the PCIe slots and the CPU

Hate to say it, but the different cards is a bit of a red flag (even if they're the same 660 ti spec they are different hardware). Mixed hardware configurations can do all kinds of wild and crazy things. Whenever doing SLI on a system I usually pick up the cards at the same time to make sure they're the same revision from the same company.

Have you tried swapping them? If you're pushing the overclocked one at full rate with the other non-oc'd card trying to keep up it could be problematic and unstable.

1150 has 32 PCIe lanes, 8 lanes on every intel board are send to the PCH (south bridge) for sata, usb, onboard sound, etc, that leaves 24 lanes on 1150 or 32 on 2011

that means that you can do x16 and x8 with the remaining lanes, and since the PCIe lanes go straight to the CPU, its not up to MSI to decide what gets used for what unless they have a 3rd party chip between the PCIe slots and the CPU
    But that's not how those lanes are distributed on LGA 1150:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/75016,7...07,75004,75013
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1150

There indeed are a very small handful of boards that use custom controllers to enable more lanes and different alottments, but the vast majority only have 16 lanes divided over the slots.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

The cpu alone has 16 pcie lanes, nothing more. You just get 8x/8x in 2way sli from every board without a plx chip. Cheaper boards just split the 2nd x8 into two making it 8x/4x/4x and more expensive boards just get 8x/8x +4x coming from the southbridge.

The problem with the first example on the cheaper boards is if you use a soundcard it disables 2way sli.
    3930K@NH-U12s | Asus R4E | 16GB (4x4GB 1600MHz) Dominator Platinum | 2x Asus gtx 780 DC2OC SLI | Evga Supernova 1000 P2 | S27A750D

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Slot one is 16X

slots 2 and 3 are 8x

look at the picture:
    http://content.hwigroup.net/images/p...g45_gaming.jpg

again, something else is going on to prevent SLI, OP should not be using hyperSLI, and SLI should work perfectly fine because on every board since p67 the PCIe lanes go directly to the CPU, and thus SLI support is irrelevant, all p67 and newer boards are both SLI and Xfire compatible

basically, OP is doing something wrong, it's not the motherboard (or lupus)
    Incorrect.

ASUS P8P67 B3 Rev is my motherboard and *does not* support SLI yet is P67.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Taking out the wireless card worked as well (1x) as taking out the sound card (1x too).

No actual space for the sound card though. If I put it above the 1st card, I get this rotor-like sound in my headphones, and the higher my FPS in games, the "faster the rotor spins". Not super loud, but noticable when not listening to anything else. Guess this is just because it leaves the components of both the PCB's under like half an inch from each other. Same happens if I put it in the middle slot (between the GPU's), and if I put it in the bottom 1x slot, none of the graphics cards are detected at all (or well, no drivers, monitor still show and that is plugged into card #1.

Sorry for semi-necro btw.

Fuk