Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    that show in general looks stupid as fuck. english or not, i wouldn't watch that if i was paid to :/
    It's actually ok for the most part it's actually very popular as well it has a second season coming out soon.

Not surprised, close to SAO in overrated. Though, to be fair, AoT is at least marginally better than SAO. Not phenomenal as people claim, but decent-ish, kind of.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxz View Post
    you mean to tell me there's ppl that actually watch dubbed anime? LOL?!
    Some people dont like to read when they are watching TV. Especially when in the case of animation where you can easily change out the words for a different language and not have it look bad

Oh come on, must we have the Sub/Dub debate here? There's already a thread for that.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons to be excited about Dubs. Whether or not they suit your taste is irrelevant. Quite frankly if you're die-hard about subs, you're not their target audience.

#1: Dubbed content is accessible for a wider audience, particularly younger/older folks, who wouldn't otherwise be able to read at the pace required to keep up with subs. It makes it easier to share your excitement for that content with family/friends etc.
    #2: Dubs increase exposure to the content, which brings in new fans, and makes it easier to find others to geek out about it with. It also aids the general perception of legitimacy, in much the same way games becoming more mainstream did for gamers. Sucks being looked at as "weird' or made fun of for the things you like.
    #3: Businesses investing in localized content is a GOOD thing for everyone. It means better pipelines for bringing content over to us. Including subbed content. And games.

I already saw it in subbed form. I'm not planning on watching the dub. I'm still excited that it's being localized.
    Chiqaboom / Proudmoore-US

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Antilurker77 View Post
    It isn't 1990 anymore. Studios know how to make good dubs.
    I quick google/youtube tells me they still don't. I doubt you can list 10 well dubbed animes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Digglett View Post
    Not surprised, close to SAO in overrated. Though, to be fair, AoT is at least marginally better than SAO. Not phenomenal as people claim, but decent-ish, kind of.
    I feel the same, story was pretty "meh". But there is no denying that the animation is one of the best and original we have seen in years for an anime show.

ITT: People trying to defend dubbed anime, when most of the time the VAs are notoriously bad. Majority of people also apparently have huge issues reading text and absorbing what is also displayed on the screen. I prefer dubbed if it's actually done well, say... Soul Eater or FMA. Most English VA are either over the top or so bland I want to stab my eyes out. (I will also say some dubs are translated poorly in some cases)

OT: Good add, but being aired once a week at one time makes Toonami nearly irrelevant, but TV itself is kind of phasing out in favor of digital media on the internet. Not so long ago AOT was also added to Netflix, so I won't be going out of my way to watch it at midnight. Great news for those who won't touch subs or don't have Netflix. (or pirate.)
    Stay salty my friends.

Deleted
    I knew an Anime Fan once...

.. yeah.. right... ONCE!

10+ Year Old Account
    Every anime thread turns into a Sub vs Dub debate somehow.

To each his own, and for anyone spouting the Sub master race nonsense, you've never tried to listen to Dragon Ball Z in Japanese.
    I'm just here to complain, if I'm being honest

I had Attack on Titan on my list to watch for a while, and now that it is being dub it has moved up on that list. I prefer dubs, but that doesn't mean I would not watch subs. I also support dubs because it gets people into anime and then gives them the choice of watching dubs or subs. There are good dubs out there, like Dragon Ball Z, Full Metal Alchemist (and Brotherhood), Claymore, Rurouni Kenshin, and many more.
    World of Warcraft: Level 60 Blood Elf Holy Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Jibjabb View Post
    Some people dont like to read when they are watching TV. Especially when in the case of animation where you can easily change out the words for a different language and not have it look bad
    How the characters look when they speak isn't the gripe with dubbed anime, it's how they sound.

Deleted
    Dubbing AoT could go right, or it will burn in hell.

bcuz there is SO much emotion, screaming and borderline insane dialogue in that show.

Like how can this be properly dubbed?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSYSulcvEAs

Nice add by Toonami. Still think they should add Hunter x Hunter & JoJo to their roster. Those would be good fits.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    Nice add by Toonami. Still think they should add Hunter x Hunter & JoJo to their roster. Those would be good fits.
    Nah, Jojo isn't edgy super emu enough for Toonami's current audience. It's too colorful and fabulous, they wouldn't be able to process it.

Nah, Jojo isn't edgy super emu enough for Toonami's current audience. It's too colorful and fabulous, they wouldn't be able to process it.
    Also imagine all the copyright issues they are going to have to deal with just like how Bandai is changing every single last person name for the game to be translated over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yami View Post
    Also imagine all the copyright issues they are going to have to deal with just like how Bandai is changing every single last person name for the game to be translated over here.
    They are? Wow, that sucks ass. I thought they wouldn't do that after Araki threw a fit about the PS1 localization.
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

They are? Wow, that sucks ass. I thought they wouldn't do that after Araki threw a fit about the PS1 localization.
    Not much they can do about it all the JoJo games that came over here that got localized have had their names changed. Unless they have the money to pay off every royalty that is going to come there way. The whole manga and anime is inspired by music from the west like zeppelin, Ac/Dc, Vanilla ice and so fourth. http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/17...-changes-west/
    Last edited by Yami; 2014-04-14 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    no. they don't. i'm sorry. the date a live dub is proof of this.
    Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. If you really think that was a bad dub you are factually wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by AceofHarts View Post
    sadly there is some holdouts who don't realize that there is a whole lot more anime then the 10-15 shows a year that get english dubs...
    I was watching 18 different series from this winter season alone.

In regards to AoT being dubbed. I guess more people will watch it. It's already absurdly popular, although I found it to be rather mundane and boring to the point that I got half way through it and stopped cause I couldn't stand it anymore. I should go back and finish it off sometime. It seems to be one of those series that's better to binge on and watch it from beginning to end than to waiting every week for a new episode.

I did meet the English director for the dub at an Anime Matsuri panel about a month ago and he talked about the whole dubbing process and how much latitude he has on the project. Everything goes past Isayama-sensi first before being approved so that's a good thing. They seem to have picked up a pretty good lineup of voice actors to do the job properly so we'll see how well it goes for them.

Note: That DAL dub is god awful. It's like they picked up some college kids and had them read off a script in order to save money off the dubbing cost. Watching season 2 already. Yeah it's silly and stupid, but it's fun nonetheless.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sentai Filmworks owns the rights to Hunter X Hunter (both versions) but they also own the Anime Network VOD service. They never really pushed their shows to Toonami seriously even when they were ADV in the 1990s to early 2000s.

*looks at Space Dandy and FLCL.

Hm?