10+ Year Old Account

Can't win in Arena to save my life

So I'm probably a fairly average player. I played a bit in the closed beta but not a lot, then didn't start playing again until the hearthsteed came out. I don't have any legendaries and very few epics. I play mostly shaman, warlock, rogue in ranked/casual, but I cannot win in Arena no matter what I do it seems.

I have a decent understanding of what cards are good. I think I play intelligently, but in the past month I've probably gone 7-42 in Arena runs with my best being one 3-3 with a paladin a class that I almost never play.

Is there some fundamental thing I am just not grasping in Arenas or am I really just not getting the synergies of these draft decks. I used to play in draft MtG tourneys so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with how it works.

Deleted
    If you're trying for synergy then that's probably the mistake that you're making. The aim in arena is just generally good cards, rather than the combos that you might expect from constructed.

Draft cards under the assumption that you're not going to get core class abilities, meaning pick minions that are relatively cheap and have very good trading value.

So while that Crazed Alchemist COULD get you a decent combo it will probably never happen during your run.

These suggestions about card drafting are good, but more likely than not it's due to gameplay issues. Various streamers have gone 3-3 up to I think 7 or 8-3 while specifically picking the worst card of each selection in the arena draft. There are good and bad cards in hearthstone, but the differential isn't to such a degree that picking the wrong ones some of the time will cause you to lose so much, drastically.

There is no combat log to browse, unfortunately, so to get an idea of what's happening we need a video of how you play the game. If that's too much effort, then watch various streamers who play arena and listen to them make their decisions per turn. I guarantee that they'll make different decisions than you would almost every turn - they'll go on to explain why and 95% of the time they're right.

The fundamental rules of arena are fairly basic, draft a bunch of good cards with a mana curve ideally bell shaped, centered around 3-4 mana. Use your mana every turn - keeping the board clear and trading efficiently whenever possible. Repeat.
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2014-04-17 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post
    So I'm probably a fairly average player. I played a bit in the closed beta but not a lot, then didn't start playing again until the hearthsteed came out. I don't have any legendaries and very few epics. I play mostly shaman, warlock, rogue in ranked/casual, but I cannot win in Arena no matter what I do it seems.

I have a decent understanding of what cards are good. I think I play intelligently, but in the past month I've probably gone 7-42 in Arena runs with my best being one 3-3 with a paladin a class that I almost never play.

Is there some fundamental thing I am just not grasping in Arenas or am I really just not getting the synergies of these draft decks. I used to play in draft MtG tourneys so it's not like I'm unfamiliar with how it works.
    If your 7-42 your not playing intelligently. In arena you want to go for high quality cards for their cost and what many use away from arena...Like for example if your playing a Shaman you want to get as many Fire Elemental as possible because there basically always a 2 for 1. Stuff like Argent Commander, Stormforged Axe, Harvest Golem, Feral Spirit, Bolts, Storms. Cards that give the best bang for their buck. That's one step anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuupag View Post

If your best is 3-3 then you're not. Not to be mean or anything. Just keep playing and you'll learn it.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

You can look for Ant1grav1ty's (I guess he has "1"'s instead of both "i"'s, but maybe not) arena drafting list or Trump's. Trump's isn't finished (not all classes are present) and skewed towards his playstyle. Both could be found on liquidhearth.com

You can also watch some of Trump's arena videos on youtube, he explains many of his decisions, but he's very controlling player, so he's very defensive and greedy. Still, you can learn a lot from him. Just remember, he's very bad at Hunter arena. =)

Deleted
    Arena is all about value. You want to always pick the best card and decent amount of removel and possibility to go 1 for 2 on your cards. Trump great source for arena info, but he is busy playing his cheap warlock deck to legend right now.

My suggestion is to watch Trump or Kripp at arena drafting. Basically pause each time before they choose each card to see if you guys choose the same cards. You can then differentiate yourself on whether youve been drafting constructively or not. The way they also draft their cards in arena is once you choose your first card, each card you choose next should work with the other cards youve chosen, not just the best card in general