Poll: Not learning language = no welfare

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Everywhere but not in Belgium, since everyone would technically have to speak 3 languages then. :P
    Dutch, German and... French?

Not that I know the language very well, but isnt Dutch and German alot alike? Or am I completely wrong? Im guessing its like Norwegian/Swedish or maybe Danish.

Im only guessing this since as a Norwegian, I can understand some Dutch and German, but French is, well French...

And Dutch is the main spoken language, so why not have everyone learn that, would make things easier would it not? Same as US, with English and Spanish.
    -------------
    As a Norwegian, I would be happy with immigrants knowing English, since we all speak it kind of fluently, but when people dont speak either Norwegian or English, we are going to have a communication problem. Or as Led Zeppelin would have called it, communication breakdown.

That is a great idea. You cannot just live in a country doing nothing useful and not integrate in the society which tolerates you.

If someone is not fund of my language or culture, he is welcome to find his residence elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    And Dutch is the main spoken language, so why not have everyone learn that, would make things easier would it not? Same as US, with English and Spanish.
    Idk I find it a little more complex then just, "Spanish" because of how dialects can change region to region. Mexican and Chilean are cousins not twins, and so on.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironjaws-Mike View Post
    Though there isn't any official language in the US.
    I may be far to late to nip this horse shit in the bud, but the official language of the USA is English. Just because there's rampant candy-ass prostrating for Mexican immigrants who refuse to and don't care to learn the language but want in on our economy, doesn't mean English isn't the dominant and official language of the USA. I'm just going to leave it at that.

its a great law. learning the language should be one of the first things on your mind if you intend on staying in a country (perhaps permanently) or for atleast 1 year. even if dutch is a difficult language to learn, its usually not impossible to teach someone how to speak it. I mean its not like being forced to learn chinese, which is said to be much more difficult.

Can someone explain to me why that people press on ''bad''?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaman View Post
    Dutch, German and... French?

Not that I know the language very well, but isnt Dutch and German alot alike? Or am I completely wrong? Im guessing its like Norwegian/Swedish or maybe Danish.

Im only guessing this since as a Norwegian, I can understand some Dutch and German, but French is, well French...

-------------
    As a Norwegian, I would be happy with immigrants knowing English, since we all speak it kind of fluently, but when people dont speak either Norwegian or English, we are going to have a communication problem. Or as Led Zeppelin would have called it, communication breakdown.
    More like Dutch, French and ... German. Since German is the massive minority. And it's alike, but not a lot. Someone who doesn't know Dutch or German probably doesn't hear much of a difference, and if we talk very slowly we can recognize basic sentences yes. But we have that with South African too, we can just talk dutch and they understand us 'perfectly', more so then Germans probably (yaay for colonization? :P)

Anyway, it might sound a bit the same, but they're basically 2 different languages with different rules etc. just a part of their words sound a bit like ours. I bet most Dutch or French speaking Belgians speak way better English then German.

And Dutch is the main language yes, but quite literally half our country speaks French, we have 3 different governments (the Dutch, French and German ones ...) so it isn't that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    The problem is that there is a rule of sorts for it, but it's based on such a laundry list of different things that it's better to just memorize which words require which form...
    I don't get it. Isn't it masculine, feminine — de, neuter — het?

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    The bike or the small bike

De fiets (the bike)
    Het fietsje (the small bike)

So there goes masculin and feminin out of the window. "making the word smaller" (verkleinwoord) trumps other rules regarding masculin and feminin as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatbeaverlol View Post
    Can someone explain to me why that people press on ''bad''?
    Maybe they are under the impression that the people need to learn fluent/ perfect dutch.

It already has been stated that the people only need to learn the very basics of the language it doesn't need to be perfect and at least attempt to try/make effort to learn it. to keep receiving welfare.

Personally as someone from Holland I think this is a good start. A lot or people here also know at least English as secondary language.
    Seeing lots of people that are enjoying welfare blatantly refuse to learn the language or integrate and cant be arsed to learn even English can be rather frustrating, Especially if people admit it as well. Its for that group that these new rules are being put in place.
    The other people wont notice a difference anyway because they are already trying to integrate in to the society.

edit: fixed some grammar (really should not rush type before lunch XD)
    Last edited by Malackai; 2014-04-18 at 11:59 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Good for the Dutch. Learning the language should be a minimum requirement.
    what are we supposed to discuss here? this man said everything that needed to be said

Quote Originally Posted by MyLifeIsRandom View Post
    I may be far to late to nip this horse shit in the bud, but the official language of the USA is English. Just because there's rampant candy-ass prostrating for Mexican immigrants who refuse to and don't care to learn the language but want in on our economy, doesn't mean English isn't the dominant and official language of the USA. I'm just going to leave it at that.
    Nope. Some states do, but not the entire USA. My source? Right from the government itself.

http://answers.usa.gov/system/templa...uage-of-the-US

Quote Originally Posted by Tackhisis View Post
    At the core, yes, but there are a whole set of rules for what makes a word masculine, feminine or neuter and there are exceptions piled into it. In other words the "rule" is essentially useless since you'll have to memorize everything anyway.

Pretty much every teacher and learning aid I've encountered has advised just memorizing any "het" words you come across rather than trying to keep all of the rules straight since there are fewer "het" words than "de".