Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What do you think of Michael Bay?

Despite the amount of money his movies make and his overall wealth, his films have received considerable criticism from critics.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Deleted
    I BOOM think BOOM that BOOM he BOOM is BOOM a BOOM little BOOM too BOOM obse BOOM ssed BOOM with BOOM exp BOOM losions BOOM.

In all seriousness I havn't seen many of his movies but Transformers is enough, although it's cool to see one of my favorite franchises on the big screen I really wish MB would just f!ck off with his annoying explosions and tell the camera man to focus on something other than breasts once in a while. I will see the next Transformers movie but im not expecting anything amazing.

Hes clearly not much of a story teller, his action scenes are admirable but it would help if you could actually see wtf was going on - you miss so much epic action because there too much fire in your face. I went to see TF1 on the I-max and i missed half the movie cause the camera moves far too much that everything is just blurred out and distorted (some people actually left because they felt sick watching it)

It's no secret his movies suck, which I agree with. However, the dude knows how to make money. BOOM.

He doesn't go for critically acclaimed arty-farty oscar winning films. Hes the guy that brings you those big summer blockbusters that are full of explosions and exciting chases. All you need to do is switch off, sit back and enjoy, and I see nothing wrong with that, there are different types of films for different people.
    "I'm a beaver in a hole, if you don't know what that is then I feel sorry for you"

hes more of an american than you will ever be

I think he does what he does quite well. For example his famous work Transformers suck on script and acting but but it's still fun to watch and it has good visual effects where Michael Bay shines.

His movies aren't exactly art but they are a certain form of entertaining. Screw the haters.

Probably the king of popcorn flicks. When I go see a Bay film I'm not expecting an emotional Oscar flick, I'm there for simple entertainment, hot women, explosions, low brow humor, and explosions.

Deleted
    Just thinking about him made my head explode!

10+ Year Old Account
    Michael Bay is a hack. His films may have some nice special effects in them, but are utterly devoid of substance. He makes movies for the lowest common denominator, with ridiculous amounts of shaky cam action, but with little character or plot development, and free of subtext or overall message. The Transformers films are prime examples, as is Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, etc. The only thing important to Michael Bay seems to be that the movies "look cool" and can make a shitzillion dollars. There's no soul to any of his films.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    Michael Bay is a hack. His films may have some nice special effects in them, but are utterly devoid of substance. He makes movies for the lowest common denominator, with ridiculous amounts of shaky cam action, but with little character or plot development, and free of subtext or overall message. The Transformers films are prime examples, as is Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, etc. The only thing important to Michael Bay seems to be that the movies "look cool" and can make a shitzillion dollars. There's no soul to any of his films.
    And what does any of that matter so long as people have a good time?

Deleted
    Dude makes the most average action movies there are. Just looking at his IMDB page his things barely push 6/10s.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's popular to hate on Michael Bay, but his movies are still fun brainless entertainment. The Rock and the first Bad Boys movie were his peak though, IMO.

He makes entertaining movies, I don't see the problem.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

People really dont seems to understand what entertainment is, its subjective. Intellectualism critics in Art is usually a downfall, you can look at how trash french literature has become over the last few decades when it started thinking intellectualism was more important than freaking entertainment, a problem now that young french writers are trying to overcome, but are now so far from english and even spanish based literature that stuck to actual entertainment.

Entertainment has many form and while i dont see any movie from Michael Bay id ever put in my top 50 movie, i havent seen any of his movie id say were so shit i wanted to not watch them either, keep in mind i havent seen all his movies either. But i can safely say that i always was entertained, which is the point of Art and Entertainment, for the public to ENJOY. Just because something is smart, does not mean its entertaining, there is more than only intelligence in the human brain, its also the center of your emotions and your memories.

Michael Bay style is clearly not to pique your intelligence, he does 3 things and he does them well enough to make shit loads of cash. He knows how to make actions that even while unrealistic you dont exactly care about the logic of it anymore. He knows how to make nice scenery, probably what helps number 1, if it looks pleasing who cares if it makes no sense, it does not have to. He knows how to apply his own nostalgia toward others simular nostalgia, hes a nostalgic and seems to be able to translate that on screen to others.

People seems to think that what THEY enjoy as an artform is the only legitimate ones. Its funny that anyone on a video game forum would call even Michael Bay not doing art, it absolutely is still art, we been fighting off that video games are art for the same reason, because they are. Are visual effects art? of course they are. Is scenery disposition not art? of course it is. It does not need a story to be art, did painting need story to be art? Does music do? When a media combine music, visual art and a story, how would it not be art. Even if the story is balls, everything else is still art. Hell the story that is balls is art, bad art but still art.

Now would i put Michael Bay movies in my top 50, no not really. Would any of his movie make my top 100, unlikely. Do i start snoring while watching one of his movie, not at all. Its still art and entertaining, i can critic it, but i cant go beyond that, its not like its attempting to hide what it is either.

Quote Originally Posted by calmsea View Post
    The only thing important to Michael Bay seems to be that the movies "look cool" and can make a shitzillion dollars.
    Which, in Hollywood, is really all that matters. Oscar-winning movies don't get sequels, movies that have a nice return on investment do. And while actual opinions of his talent can (and will) vary, he has to know what he's doing because his movies consistently perform and studios keep going to him to make the tentpole movies of summer that they can build the rest of their year around.

Do I personally own and go back and watch his movies? No. The Rock and Transformers are about it. Have I paid money to see pretty much everything he's done in the theater? Yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think he makes good movies but I think he makes very successful movies. Why change a formula that work? It's no different than Tyler Perry, they both just print money.

Somewhat related, it's an old image but it's still good.
    http://i.imgur.com/AXGbZEj.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    That's how it starts. Next thing you know it's 3am and people are still being wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    The fact that he's chirping means he's a male, and he's chirping because he wants sexy times, which he's obviously not going to get.

Deleted
    Boom!

He makes good and relatively successful movies,nothing really special,but they are entertaining.

10+ Year Old Account
    Michael Bay is who you call for the action parts of the film, sadly though they don't call in anybody for the actual story. Who needs story when you have mindless senseless destruction and bouncing titties in your face! SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE EXPLOSIONS AND BOOBS!

well the humor is beyond juvenile. that scene in transformers where bumblebee "pees" on a guy being a good example, or having racist characters. despite that he does have a large amount of respect with film makers with his use of cameras and cinematography.