Poll: Do video games make people violent?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Because they know, on some level, that games are fantasy
    Does not stop from thinking Rodolf exists.

This is the worst argument I've ever heard, and I've heard so much stupid shit before. Just stop Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    could you have picked up the chainsaw even if you wanted to at 5? children will use what is available to them. Two piece of sticks becomes Ninja turtle Katana. Children will improvise. They won't do the same exact behavior since the tools are aviable for them to use.
    No, we had this thing called "parenting", a mysterious concept what all these foul-cries seem to forget in their haste to push responsibility away from them
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    No, we had this thing called "parenting", a mysterious concept what all these foul-cries seem to forget in their haste to push responsibility away from them
    Offcourse, there is responsibility. But things have changed over the last couple of decades. For one, both parents work. Second, Schools have increased hours, meaning children spend far more time outside the house or alone then they did before. Besides, he is right in that, video games Do affect children. Something this forum seems unable to grasp. We are not even talking about grown up adults here as he said super mario and kids.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looney Tunes? I mean, you can't be serious, Bill? Cartoons like Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry are notorious for being violent. I seriously can't believe he is being serious.

Your poll is incomplete. It is missing a "The people who believe this crap are raving lunatics" option.

10+ Year Old Account
    could you have picked up the chainsaw even if you wanted to at 5? children will use what is available to them. Two piece of sticks becomes Ninja turtle Katana. Children will improvise. They won't do the same exact behavior since the tools are aviable for them to use.
    Well yeah, we might act out scenes from violent movies. I know I did sword fights with a friend using a sword. But we knew well enough to not actually hurt each other.

Actually, our "sword fights" sucked because I was so afraid of hurting him I wouldn't swing at his sword with much force.

Children are generally smart enough to not go too far with these things. They might injure themselves during play, sure, every child does, but they won't intentionally injure friends or themselves. And if they do, then that's an underlying mental issue that was not caused by a video game, but caused by poor upbringing or a mental disorder or something far deeper than a video game.
    Putin khuliyo

Offcourse, there is responsibility. But things have changed over the last couple of decades. For one, both parents work. Second, Schools have increased hours, meaning children spend far more time outside the house or alone then they did before. Besides, he is right in that, video games Do affect children. Something this forum seems unable to grasp. We are not even talking about grown up adults here as he said super mario and kids.
    I don't know where do you live, but here in Finland both parents have been working pretty much ever since war when women took up all the men's jobs to begin with while the battles raged. That excuse doesn't fly here.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    Anyway, Bill O'Reilly thinks...
    Bill'O panders to his audience to keep his $17 million salary coming in.

I mean what's the alternative, that he actually believes this crap....how scary would that be!

Bill had redeemed himself lightly for me when he hosted my friend/co-worker against a PETA rep for some Anti-Blackfish stuff (good interview, don't boycott SeaWorld, but off-topic).

Then he goes and pulls this crap and I am back to wishing he was off the air for good.

Bill O'Reilly is just a troll and no one should take him seriously.

10+ Year Old Account
    Crazy people play video games and are already violent. Crazy people watch movies and maybe it makes them click... What I'm pointing out is, People that kill others etc. are already crazy and video games or whatever form of media have nothing to do with it.
    Hey everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    There is a massive problem with his statements, but they are somewhat grounded in fact.

First off, no, playing a violent video game or watching a violent movie/tv show will not suddenly turn you into a crazed killer. This does not happen. The most that can happen from a single exposure is some form of mimicry, and the majority of the time it is very benign and limited.

However, there is plenty of evidence that shows that steady and repeated exposure to violent video games, tv shows, and movies does increase levels of aggressive behavior and thought within the audience. Thus, steady exposure to violent media, namely during the developmental years of childhood, is a risk factor for violent behavior and actions later on in life. And consumption of violent media has been shown to be the most prominent risk factor time and time again in studies going back 30+ years and studies today. It is theorized that this is because of the nature of violent video games. You are the player, assuming his/her role. You are rewarded (points, coins, upgrades, etc) for engaging in violent actions and sometimes receive bonuses for more elaborate violence. The player is also never "punished" for the violence. Several physiological theories such as Social Learning Theory, Cultivation Theory, and Social Cognitive Theory address elements of this.

Now again I state, this does not mean a perfectly "normal" child will spend his/her childhood with violent media and go shoot up his high school. Other risk factors come into play as well. But given the prominence of violent media consumption in risk factor assessments, it means there is less wiggle room, so to speak, with the other risk factors. What are the other risk factors? Here the are in order of highest to lowest risk.

Violent Video Game Consumption
    Gang Membership
    Poor Parent/Child Relationship
    Male
    History of Physical Violence
    Violent Media (Television) Consumption
    Antisocial Parents
    Low IQ
    Broken Home
    Poverty
    Abusive Parents
    Substance Abuse

And just for comparison sake, the effect size of increased aggressive behavior and thought related to violent video game use is larger than the effect size of asbestos to cancer, second hand smoke to cancer, and no condom use to HIV exposure.

If you would like to see some data on what I have written here, check out the 1972 Surgeon General's Report on Media Violence, the 1992 CDC Report on Violence, the 1993 APA Commission on Youth and Violence, the 1996 AMA Report on Media Violence, the 2002 Surgeon General's Report on Violence, and AAP and APA Policy statements starting in 2002.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.

Do keep in mind that this is coming from a guy who doesn't understand how the tides work.

10+ Year Old Account
    wait, how is violent video game consumption rated higher than GANG membership? o.O

15+ Year Old Account
    Do you honestly have to even ask if something O'Reilly thinks is true..? This guy can hardly even THINK.

By the way, Mars has no moons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lustinus View Post
    Do you honestly have to even ask if something O'Reilly thinks is true..? This guy can hardly even THINK.

By the way, Mars has no moons.
    Phobos and Deimos constitute natural satellites, so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many of us learned valuable lessons from Looney Tunes growing up, or Garfield the Cat. Now, with Super Smash Bros., kids will want to throw bombs at each other and “smash” peoples’ heads in.

All that needs to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by speehs View Post
    Where's the "Who Gives a Shit What Bill O'Reilly Thinks?" option?
    Here's the thing about that mindset. The man has a show on a major news network. His (and lots of people in the media) opinion greatly influences many people and when he spreads bullshit like this without any conclusive evidence from respected groups in psychology/sociology he is hurting the gaming industry.
    Nintendo 3DS Friend Code: 4527-7566-5852. PM if you add me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romeothecat View Post
    Here's the thing about that mindset. The man has a show on a major news network. His (and lots of people in the media) opinion greatly influences many people and when he spreads bullshit like this without any conclusive evidence from respected groups in psychology/sociology he is hurting the gaming industry.
    Um....there is plenty of valid scientific evidence from respected groups in psychology/sociology that backs his claims.
    Princesses can kill knights to rescue dragons.