Deleted

Cleaning sticky spacebar?

My girlfriend managed to knock a can of Monster, (sugary energy drink), onto my keyboard and I cleaned it up as well as I could at the time and it continued to work fine all night, then today I returned home and the space bar has become very sticky, it presses down and still works but is obviously very inconvenient and is feels like I'm pushing it down into dough.

I've got a Gigabyte KM6150 keyboard, unaware of whether or not I can remove the space bar key and just clean it or whether it'll just snap off a part if I do remove it. Tried searching the internet to find out if I could remove them or not and got nothing.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I would pop the space bar off and get a q-tip with some rubbing alcohol. Don't use a lot of alcohol because obviously you don't want to drip it into any of the circuitry. You want to clean the areas that make contact, so the male/female ends on the backside of the keyboard and the key itself.

Deleted
    Can it definitely be popped off? Just what I'm mainly concerned about as if I pop it off and it's not meant to come off then I've got no spacebar at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Strifus View Post
    Can it definitely be popped off? Just what I'm mainly concerned about as if I pop it off and it's not meant to come off then I've got no spacebar at all.
    I've never owned a keyboard that you couldn't remove all of the keys.

10+ Year Old Account
    It should work, yes. I've never heard of a keyboard whose keys you can't dislodge. Rubbing alcohol is your best bet, indeed. Although I don't see a reason why the circuitry would be an issue as long as it's plugged out - the alcohol evaporates very quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    How about wet tissues and toothpicks?
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've popped off space bars plenty of times in the past and the only thing you have worry about was this metal thing on the back of the key that you have to align when you pop it back on.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    How about wet tissues and toothpicks?
    Not sure what to do with toothpicks, but tissues are always a great way to keep ur spacebar from getting dirty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Not sure what to do with toothpicks, but tissues are always a great way to keep ur spacebar from getting dirty.
    You use the wet tissues over the keys and stick the toothpicks inside of them... and rub it hard.

Against the keys.

Last edited by Vargur; 2014-04-23 at 08:04 AM.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.