Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    didnt this same shit happen to the streamer Phantomlord? like almost the same thing, someone got his address somehow and it spread over the internet and someone called in a hostage situation at the address. along with 100 of false pizza orders to his house.

Swifty gets arrested while he is streaming because of a prank call. Supposedly they can't order takeout to anywhere close to where Swifty lives because of so many prank calls to deliver to his house. Really easy to believe when it happens on a live stream.

Deleted
    Great tekkers but you have to be a special one to do this kind of thing.

Seen the stories of those streamers getting harrassed. You'd hope this shit comes back on them. It's like DDOSing in a computer game, you are a cunt if you do it. Basically.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebonheart View Post
    This has got to be the funniest stuff I've read in a really really long time.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...-on-rival.aspx

Perform well enough in a Call of Duty match and you can call in helicopters and other reinforcements to help keep your streak alive. One Call of Duty player took things a little too far by phoning in a fake call to police, which resulted in a SWAT team knocking at his opponent’s door.

The drama unfolded after a match involving New York resident Rafael Costillo and a disgruntled fellow player. The scorned anonymous player called the police claiming to be Costillo and said that he’d just killed his mother, and that he “might shoot more people.” The prank caller also provided the police dispatcher Costillo’s address.

Eventually helicopters, squad cars, fire trucks, and over 60 cops descended on Costillo’s home. A two-hour long standoff occurred between the authorities and the Costillo residence. The police eventually entered the home and confirmed that the supposedly at-risk family was fine. Costillo was unable to hear the entire episode go down due to the headphones he was wearing while playing Call of Duty.

“It was probably just an evil little kid,” said an police officer to the New York Post. “We went and checked out the place and there was nothing there … It sucked up a lot of resources, caused traffic problems, and turned out to be a hoax.”

Still can't figure out how the person found this dude's address. And what is even more funny was that the dude had his head phones playing COD so he didn't even know what the fuck was happening outside his own home.

What would you do if something like this happens to you?
    It's called "SWATing" and it started it started making the rounds on the news a year or so back with no connection to CoD. At that point it was just a "prank." A VERY expensive and dangerous prank.

My hope is that they track the call back and bill the "prankster" and his family for the cost. I also hope the person, who had their house raided, sues the prankster and his family.

While we're at it...anyone remember the movie "Hackers?" I wonder if they can legally ban the "prankster" from using all forms of video games for a set number of years...since, you know, he's obviously too stupid to game responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

2> 60 cops? This was a guy who said he'd killed a family member and was in a bad mental state. You definitely want to send a couple squad cars, but 60 cops and a SWAT team is massive overkill.
    Have to justify having those MRAPS and armored bear cats from Afghanistan, they pretty much roll them out for anything nowadays.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    My off tank will have a big surprise the next time he does not pick up adds.
    You cared enough to post.

I can't hear squat with my turtle beaches on. So maybe?

And no one is surprised that all it takes is a simple phone call and you can turn a person's life upside down, it's like half of the people here think it's another normal daily prank.

Never beat Chris Christie in Call of Duty

Deleted
    This sounds so fake and no Police Officer would say "evil little kid" to the press.

Swatting, as it is known, has been happening for a few years now, with the wiki article citing a 2008 source as possibly the earliest official usage. (The first time I recall seeing it happen was when the toxic Twitter politics-oriented community started doing it to each other after hatreds escalated)

It recently started moving into the online gaming communities, with big streamers getting swatted live on camera.

To attest to the quality of some gaming headsets, a streamer I watch once screamed 'No!' after some calamity befell him during a game. His neighbors called the cops, thinking someone might be in trouble in his house. He had his headset on so he couldn't hear the police banging on the door, and eventually he went to the bathroom which resulted in a light being turned on, so the cops began to think he was purposefully ignoring them. I forget exactly how it resolved, but eventually the cops searched his house, found nothing wrong, and left after he proved he was oblivious to their knocking with his stream footage or something like that.

There's two ways you could get somebodies home address over the network like that.

A. They would either have to use the exact same username for a social network site that they were dumb enough to list their home address on.
    or
    B. They would have to be able to hack into the other person's ISP in order to associate their Ip address with the serial number of their modem, and then hack into yet another database in order to associate the serial number with the address that it was issued to.

I doubt some angsty kid on CoD could pull that off. I mean, back in the windows 9x days I had some kid do that to me just as a demonstration of their leet hax0r powers.but things are different these days. That's a lot harder to do now than it was in the 1990s.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    This sounds so fake and no Police Officer would say "evil little kid" to the press.
    There is nothing that our cops could do that would surprise me anymore.

Case in point:http://nypost.com/2014/04/11/cops-ki...bbing-suspect/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretendingq View Post
    There is nothing that our cops could do that would surprise me anymore.

Case in point:http://nypost.com/2014/04/11/cops-ki...bbing-suspect/
    That was a huge fuckup no doubt, but Police are trained to protect their own asses and talking to the press is something that is always scripted, you dont say "evil little kid" if you value your job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    There's two ways you could get somebodies home address over the network like that.

A. They would either have to use the exact same username for a social network site that they were dumb enough to list their home address on.
    or
    B. They would have to be able to hack into the other person's ISP in order to associate their Ip address with the serial number of their modem, and then hack into yet another database in order to associate the serial number with the address that it was issued to.

I doubt some angsty kid on CoD could pull that off. I mean, back in the windows 9x days I had some kid do that to me just as a demonstration of their leet hax0r powers.but things are different these days. That's a lot harder to do now than it was in the 1990s.

On black ops I had a kid scream his address at me because he wanted to fight me, no idea if it was his real address, but you never know, some people are morons.

Also how good are that guys headphones that he didn't notice 60 swat surrounding his house??

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    On black ops I had a kid scream his address at me because he wanted to fight me, no idea if it was his real address, but you never know, some people are morons.

Also how good are that guys headphones that he didn't notice 60 swat surrounding his house??
    Should have recorded the address and posted it somewhere in the internet ;p

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Having seen this happen to my sister (with no apparent cause, either), this is pretty much the least funny thing ever.
    not really, people can get shot

10+ Year Old Account
    the story is true. the term is called Swatting, and hackers, over xbox 360/one/game consoles..etc basically reverse hack the ip address of the victim they are going after (via-in game) and basically set up a call with the name of the person, address, city blah blah and basically make up some bullshit story to get the whole swat team here.

story's true, and it's really fucked up

here's a quote of a person who was sent to prison for the same things this person committed to the victim of this article
    In 2009, Matthew Weigman, an infamous 19-year-old hacker from Massachusetts, was sentenced to 11 years in federal prison for years of phone-related conspiracies, including swatting:
    Last edited by Darkrulerxxx; 2014-04-24 at 02:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    This is just ridiculous, and hard to believe.

1> I can't believe he didn't hear the cops pounding on his door, blaring their sirens outside, and shouting at him to come out, as I assume they must have been. Seriously, that makes no sense, even with noise-cancelling headphones on. Not for two freaking hours.

2> 60 cops? This was a guy who said he'd killed a family member and was in a bad mental state. You definitely want to send a couple squad cars, but 60 cops and a SWAT team is massive overkill.
    This happened to WoW PvP streamer/Youtuber Swifty, they captured it on this Twitch.tv stream.

It's called "swatting", and it is more common than I'm comfortable with. False S.W.A.T. calls need to have guaranteed jail time associated with it.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the SWAT team come to my house once because I was stupid and young and shot a houses window with my bb gun and ran back into my house. I guess somebody saw and the next day the team came to my house while I was at school. Talk about a weird phone call with my dad when he told me...
    It's pronounced "Dur-av-ian."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xisa View Post
    This happened to WoW PvP streamer/Youtuber Swifty, they captured it on this Twitch.tv stream.

It's called "swatting", and it is more common than I'm comfortable with. False S.W.A.T. calls need to have guaranteed jail time associated with it.
    ya i remember that day, that was some crazy shit. Dumbass hackers to try and make the world burn.