Thread: So basically...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    I wish MMORPGs would be a bit more like D3. Go wherever, do whatever, you will get experience and a chance of an item upgrade. The whole game is endgame.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I got the game with the wow annual pass. Didn't really think much of it at first and now I'm trying it. Your tone is as if I've already made a mistake before you've even read through the thread. There's no issue here. I'm just learning about the game. Is the grinding getting to you?

- - - Updated - - -

I guess my point is they are both rpg's, and I enjoy wow's better because of interesting end game. I didn't realize diablo was so grindy and don't think that's much fun. I mean I saw a streamer today farming the same spot all day holding one button. I'm assuming to be caught up these are things you have to do.

You don't have to catch up in D3. If you want to play in the hardest difficultly and take your time you can.

- - - Updated - - -

My question is though why do I keep hearing this caught up term? It's making me think if you take your foot of the grinding pedal you'll lose out.

I've only seen you say it......

My question is though why do I keep hearing this caught up term? It's making me think if you take your foot of the grinding pedal you'll lose out.
    If you hear it, it's because there are folks who completely buy into the 'get gear to kill faster to get gear to kill faster' game cycle. It's hardly mandatory, given how wide a variety of difficulties exist in this game.

I enjoy annihilating massive groups of enemies, the loot just enables me to do it on harder modes, where in between slaughtering groups of monsters there's an occasional Challenge.
    RETH

Quote Originally Posted by Dilbon View Post
    I wish MMORPGs would be a bit more like D3. Go wherever, do whatever, you will get experience and a chance of an item upgrade. The whole game is endgame.
    Guild Wars 2 loosely fits the description you state.

Deleted
    the game is find a good spot farm over and over, and then it gets boring

play the game on hardcore, for a better experience,

this game is find the easiest place to grind and proceed? If so that pretty bland imo. Sounds like running wow dungeons over and over.
    If you want to dull it down that far OP every game is just like that, you grind and grind for the thing you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I find this post funny considering that 1) This is pretty typical of ARPGs and 2) Rifts and Bounties make it possible and highly rewarding to not play like that anymore.
    In what way?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    In what way?
    I'm going to assume you are referring to #2 since #1 is self evident. For #2, Rifts and Bounties both change up the need to repeat one section of content over and over without end because it has the highest density, or most XP, or most bosses. It creates variety by default. Sure, doing only those two things are the only 'best' way to play, but they aren't the same dungeon over and over without end.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    the game is find a good spot farm over and over, and then it gets boring
    Try rifts and bounties; not nearly as boring.

Quote Originally Posted by undercovergnome View Post
    play the game on hardcore, for a better experience,
    I would not call losing a character to random lag a "better experience."

Actually I fail to see how hardcore is better in anyway. All it means is you have to start all over for a small slip up or bad rng.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2014-04-26 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In response to above post:

a) You stop playing hardcore if you notice lag and get back to it once it's gone.
    b) If you for some reason DC, blizzard's servers will boot you instantly pretty much.
    c) Ultimately you don't lose the character to lag. Hardcore offers the adrenaline-filled, theory-crafting and progressive part of the game that softcore could never give you. Ultimately the goal is clearing [insert boss/area] on higher difficulties. And getting there takes a long long time.

Besides, once your char really does die, what does it matter. You had fun playing it, and that should be reward enough when you think of it. Only materialists get too attached to their chars, and should by all means be stuck in softcore.

E: phone trolling me with autocorrects
    Last edited by Wass; 2014-04-26 at 07:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wass View Post
    c) Ultimately you don't lose the character to lag.
    I've lost several characters to lag that simply hit and was nothing I could do about it. E.g. zoning into a rift; for some reason, loading takes an extra long time and when it finally finishes, my character is dead with a pack of mobs dancing hula around it. So yes, it does happen.

Hardcore offers the adrenaline-filled, theory-crafting and progressive part of the game that softcore could never give you. Ultimately the goal is clearing [insert boss/area] on higher difficulties. And getting there takes a long long time.
    Nice speech but that is all it is.

a) The adrenaline lasted about for the first 10 levels of my first HC character. After that it was just like playing any other.
    b) The same mechanics exists in both normal and HC; and believe me, people spend a lot of time figuring it all out and balancing their characters, no matter which they play.
    c) I have the exact same ultimate goal on my non-HC characters, and doing it with balanced gear is no less fulfilling for me.

Besides, once your char really does die, what does it matter. You had fun playing it, and that should be reward enough when you think of it. Only materialists get too attached to their chars, and should by all means be stuck in softcore.
    Haha, well guess I'm materialistic then. I suppose there are worse things

Although, I would point out that there is no "being stuck" in soft- or hardcore. It doesn't take much to click a button and move onto HC, and for the most part, it takes no significant skill to play it. The main difference is risk-management, so in general you just take longer to level and gear up.
    Last edited by mmoc6e18b67333; 2014-04-26 at 11:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I guess you and I value different things then. Hardcore feels like actual progression since I know that I can lose everything and have to start over.

Adrenaline will come back once you play on Torment at max level, rest be assured of that. If you're farming easy difficulties you're doing it wrong if you want to experience the full kick that HC can give you. Sure, you can't jump into Torment right away, that'd be madness. But I hope you get what I mean.

But thanks for giving me the mental image of a couple of demons dancing hula around your corpse.
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.

Deleted
    I guess you and I value different things then. Hardcore feels like actual progression since I know that I can lose everything and have to start over.
    No, we just have a different concept of what constitutes "progress." For me, what you describe as progress feels a lot more like regression. But that's fine; I have nothing against people preferring HC. It's more about players making grand statements how they somehow do it better than others, despite the facts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyl View Post
    No, we just have a different concept of what constitutes "progress." For me, what you describe as progress feels a lot more like regression. But that's fine; I have nothing against people preferring HC. It's more about players making grand statements how they somehow do it better than others, despite the facts.
    I see. Yes this is a reocurring problem, there are a couple elitists in HC to say the least. But so far I've found the majority to be quite friendly.

Deleted
    They tried a different approach in vanilla D3 (act 1 inferno dropped lower ilvl than act 2, act 2 lower than 3 and 4), and most people seemed not happy about it. So they changed it to this system, which is more or less the same in almost all aRPGs.

But, to echo what others say: Play the difficulty which gives the best experience / most fun for you. For some that is increasing the efficiency (e.g. running only normal bounties and T1 rifts, until you have a good group with good gear to do the higher torments on higher difficulties without losing too much time). For others it's going as high as they can manage.

this game is find the easiest place to grind and proceed? If so that pretty bland imo. Sounds like running wow dungeons over and over.
    There's a lot of difference between wow dungeons though:

1. D3 has random loot
    2. D3 dungeons are different every time
    3. D3 can be done solo
    4. D3 lets you play whatever mode you want (with some exceptions) and get the same loot.

I think number 4 alone makes it much better than grinding wow dungeons.