Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    They never did have any threat reducing mechanics. At all. If you're referring to battle and berserker stance having a 0.8 threat modifier then that's not a mechanic that determines how good a player is.

"oh look I have a passive that reduces my threat ever so slightly per attack look at how GOOD I AM LOL"
    Warriors got the short end of the stick when it comes to threat management. You're right there. I agree that Warriors should have something more than a passive to juggle their threat.
    But there is (was) a reason: in vanilla, when Priests, Mages and Locks used to Wand, they (Warriors) primarily tanked.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The best kind of threat management now is to let those who don't target of target the tank die.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    It's as if you're trying to jump on me for saying threat management was fun? I didn't, quite the opposite.
    In that case I apologise. I must've misread your wording in one of your posts. I'm glad you agree that threat management isn't fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Threat management is still here. Everytime I go into pug content I fear for my life when Salvation is on cooldown.
    When this start happening, I usually tell the tank to go dps and just turn RF on and tank in dps spec with dps gear. Screw having to put up with bad tanks. I'm not talking bad as in no gear tho, that wouldn't be fair.
    Yep I'm guild-less because of toxic elite-jerks in my old top raiding guild. Why can't we all get along like normal human beings?

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently it was too complicated for the kiddies Blizzard keeps pandering to these days. The poor wittle dears get confused and we end up with the game getting even more dumbed down.

There isnt any threat management right now. There isn't supposed to be. If someone did pull threat, it likely happened in the first 20 seconds of the fight, which is caused by the burst problem and possible lack of tank vengeance, or the tank is not pushing his buttons, or the mob literally had zero tank threat on it because the tank was nowhere near it. In all other scenarios, the mobs stick to the tank. Look at your threat addon 2 minutes into the fight and look where the highest DPS is in comparison with the tank. That's how it's supposed to be.

With vengeance being removed and tank DPS brought up to not need vengeance (essentially 100% vengeance uptime), burst being nerfed, and the misdirect buff that hunters can give, I see no reason for threat becoming a problem ever again unless the tank is literally afk.

Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Apparently it was too complicated for the kiddies Blizzard keeps pandering to these days. The poor wittle dears get confused and we end up with the game getting even more dumbed down.
    You're implying it was complicated. bwabahahahahaha

No, it just wasn't fun.

Deleted
    There are things to be said for it.

Personally, as a DPS I do not really care. Threat management was not really an interesting gameplay element imo. As a tank, I think the game is a little less interesting now. There are things you could do as a tank that were an acquired skill, and being able to hold threat on many different targets when there was all sorts of stuff going on around you was something that not everyone could do. They made this a lot simpler, and that is probably because content and the overall pace of the game has changed a lot since those days. Still, tanking is not as satisfying as it once was.

Nowadays, I think people should still be able to manage their threat is necessary for whatever reason. But really, under normal circumstances it is something that was taken almost completely out of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tangers58 View Post
    Being forced to stop attacking in a spec that's designed to attack things because another spec who's designed to hold aggro is having difficulty holding aggro BY DESIGN is bad game design. You demonstrably cannot defend this as something that should be praised.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I always considered it a necessary part of the game I feel that the community now would have a very rude awakening should threat management become relevant once more. Just yesterday I tank a dungeon with a DK dps'ing in blood presence all to up his numbers. You also constantly run into hunters who keep growl active on their pet and then roll on rings with dodge and strength "because they totally use those for survival". (If ever there was a time to get the power to physically assault people through their computers it would have been yesterday for me.)

No it was really unfun. I played Ele Shaman which didn't have a lot of threat and I still had to throttle dps with bad tanks, I feel bad for anyone playing a high threat class. Not being able to dps because your tank can't keep up was infuriating.
    Hi Sephurik

Only time I have threat issues is when I go into pug content (Spoils? Yeah, I'm tanking every freaking thing). That's generally due to there being a huge disparity in my gear and theirs. The tanks in our raids are meter humpers ("Jin'Rokh? Yep, we're standing in puddles with boss turned to raid. Screw the melee. You wait 20 more seconds for the puddle to be behind him. No, I'm not wearing my tank cloak or meta. Suck it" It took a long freaking time for us to get our BrM to use that trinket off of protectors for Malkorok... way too long...) So yeah, generally we don't have threat issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belerophon View Post
    While I always considered it a necessary part of the game I feel that the community now would have a very rude awakening should threat management become relevant once more. Just yesterday I tank a dungeon with a DK dps'ing in blood presence all to up his numbers. You also constantly run into hunters who keep growl active on their pet and then roll on rings with dodge and strength "because they totally use those for survival". (If ever there was a time to get the power to physically assault people through their computers it would have been yesterday for me.)
    Anecdotes do not support arguments.

It was fine when you played with decent players. But when playing with either bad tanks or undergeared tanks it just sucked not being able to do something for the first 15 seconds. Especially since feral didn't have any threat dump (don't mention TBC cower). Some tanks just do 10% of what they should be doing, and as we know Blizzard like to adept the game for them instead of the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustweaver View Post
    The best kind of threat management now is to let those who don't target of target the tank die.
    Right now? In heroic? That would be horrid. Heroic content the tank doesn't even have to target something to get threat on it. Tank threat is retarded at high levels. Saying something like that is almost as bad as saying a dps that tunnel visions is good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Imagine how frustrating it was if you had a really good tank but he still couldn't hold threat because you did 10k dps and he did 1k.
    Dps didn't need to be equal for tanks back when tanks couldn't afk after initiating the pull...there are threat abilities for a reason. Back in TBC (don't judge me for using tbc in an example -.-) I used to play with a lot of tanks who wanted to be in a farm group, in the beginning almost every tank couldn't do shit on holding threat. But after some tips and just coordinating the group even warrior tanks could tank 4+ mobs at the same time with dps AoEing.

Biggest problems with tanks holding threat are:

1. Tanks don't coordinate with the group and often have a god complex which doesn't make things easier. They blame everything that goes wrong on the dps not watching their agro. Perfect example is the crappy tanks who have the moto "you pull it you tank it attitude, usually these are bad players and should be kicked.

2. Dps attacking 3 different targets, then when pulling agro they start running away from the tank which creates even more chaos and afterwards they blame the tank. Also if the tanks asks for 2 secs window to build threat, give it to them...

Both points boil down to the same issue really, 2 roles blaming each other and wanting to do their own thing. It often isn't the skill of dps or tank that makes a good group, it's more the will to listen and follow instructions. Actually this entire post translates to this...if all roles would stop arm wrestling about who should adjust to the situation then managing agro would be a lot easier. Running dungeons and whatnot is a team effort, stop being bitches and work together.

Similar to Grim, way back when I really enjoyed to tank as a warrior and holding threat against multiple targets before they added things to make it a lot easier for all specs.

At the beginning of MoP I played a DK and I helped out some casual raiders with raids and one of the tanks was pretty dreadful. As a DK it was dreadful because there's no way to get rid of your threat. So I moved my mage to that realm simply because it's so much better. I feel they could have made it better if they streamlined it across all specs/classes to reduce your threat (as dps) Though I can see how that would seem a bit redundant to have a system that you worry about threat but everyone has a way to wipe threat. But they can be longer cooldowns.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    bad game design.
    Then why have tanks in the first place if threat should not matter? Why not implement an aura around the tank that automatically pulls all mobs to it and ignores every other player in the raid - because, you know, threat shouldn't matter.

You could replace them with any class and just smash buttons left and right to produce those "big numbers" that all the current player base is concerned about.

Come to think of it, that'll fix ALL the problems. All you need is one tank, with an aura that automatically generates 100% threat on all targets and no one has to give a jack fucking shit about any management any more. I foresee this as a feature for future LFR's.
    Last edited by mmoce1e4d9dec7; 2014-04-28 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miuku View Post
    Then why have tanks in the first place if threat should not matter? Why not implement an aura around the tank that automatically pulls all mobs to it and ignores every other player in the raid - because, you know, threat shouldn't matter.

You could replace them with any class and just smash buttons left and right to produce those "big numbers" that all the current player base is concerned about.
    Tanks producing too much threat atm =/= there shouldn't be any threat at all. But they're adressing that in WoD (atleast that's what they're claiming).

It was absolutely retarded in hindsight, and this comes from someone who thinks TBC was the best. There is no fun in having your damage capabilities limited by your tank, not to mention that a lot of classes didn't even have threat dumps and they needed to implement a shitload of buffs and hidden modifiers to scale down everyone's threat and even then people were pulling aggro. There is no "managing your threat" other than flat out stopping DPS, killing yourself, or using your threat wipe spell which only a few people had. In other words, it usually meant you just had to stand there doing nothing. Nowadays I already get pissed when we get Sindragosa/Immerseus like mechanics where you get stacks on yourself for dealing damage. And all rotations are way more complex now than back then, so it's not like it lowered the difficulty of playing a dps.