Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    unlike most, the stereotypes seems to be of a positive nature, where Russians are seen as tough, rugged and awesome.

However, stereotypes and jokes of any type are annoying and insulting as hell to the people they target. Even these ones. Misrepresentation is awful in any light, especially when it squeezes and narrows other peoples perceptions of you to a narrow field (all Russians fight bears, all Indians are great at maths, etc)

Ingame, I breath a shy of relief when I see Russian names and codes in my oqueue obtained raid. I've yet to have a bad raid when they appear and shit gets done.

Deleted
    in-game chat would be boring w/o stereotypes.

and I agree that some Russians are good players unless they start drinking vodka during the raid.

Never had a problem in groups with Russians other than sometimes I mouse over them and the nameplate is a huge box of whitespace that fills my screen

Ive also noticed that if you get a group in Oqueue with just Russians its gonna be a fast run no chatting crap, they just get in, get the job done and get out. I dont know if ive just been lucky but im not complaining!

Deleted
    There wouldn't be stereotypes unless there was some element of truth in them,
    We are all fed propaganda from our respective governments, and like the suckers we are a lot of us succumb to it.

We are playing World of Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    Swedes: Drunk and ugly teeth..
    I'm sorry what? Ugly teeth? We have free dental care in some places to the age of 25...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapaya View Post
    I'm sorry what? Ugly teeth? We have free dental care in some places to the age of 25...
    Maybe so... But it doesn't remove the prejudice.. Besides, we all know that ALL swedes snuff, which makes a mess of the teeth, simply because it's not in a package, like most other countries..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Deleted
    Maybe so... But it doesn't remove the prejudice.. Besides, we all know that ALL swedes snuff, which makes a mess of the teeth, simply because it's not in a package, like most other countries..
    i must be the only one then that dosent use snuff.

I live in South Africa so I'm more attuned to this kind of stuff than most because of SA's history.

However, I will say, look at it from an outsiders view OP.
    1) Russia is corrupt as fuck when it comes to doing business there from the bottom to the top
    2) It's a lol dictatorship that just fucks about with the rest of the world because you have your hand on the gas tap

I could go on but any interaction with Russians I've had in RL hasn't created a positive impression and the same can be said in game. People stereotype, its human nature so now when I interact with a Russian I'm always biased towards the negative because of my past experiences.

Do you guys really say things like:

"In capitalist America, bank rob you!"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bach0r View Post

and I agree that some Russians are good players unless they start drinking vodka during the raid.
    True Russian raid with vodka and his trusty AK by his side everyday.

id either brush off the jokes or just dont tell people your Russian. although they may try and guess. maybe u can pretend to be German who knows. Id imagine because of Putin Russia is getting some bad publicity which would extend to the majority of wow players that watch the news. Its like. I dont go around telling people I'm from Canada because they'll try and give me some stereotypes like how Canadians are really nice and apologetic, or we put maple syrup on everything, or how we dont have an army, or how it always snows here and we head to work with snowshoes on, or how we always say Eh. I never say that cause i think it sounds stupid. also in game i tend to be quite rude so, anti canadian haha. anyway.

As long as u stay quiet and perform your role well, there should be no problems with anyone.

For such a large country, you are very isolated compared to other Europeans. This will always result in misconceptions about how a certain group of people behave and what they do.

Also if people are being an asshole too you, even if you are nice to them and is listening to the raid leader just ignore it. Assholes are everywhere, its their problem that they are unhappy not yours.

i really miss my russian friend i met on a game. she was very fun, and liked things i liked that not many other people like. one day though, she just disappeared and we had known each other for almost two years. it makes me really worried about her... she was kinda nuts, like... borderline psycho, so that makes me really worry that something might have happened too her. she was also an anarchist, and hated putin beyond hate. oh well, i'm sure she's ok. but i really do miss her

Most wow specific stereotypes about russians tend to be about their premades, wintrading, rampant p2w approach to the game etc. which is hardly off the mark. For those who aren't familiar you can get admittance from the guy with every achievement in game and tons of FoS's, a lot gained using such tactics (not saying what he has done isn't impressive, just that these phenomena are present).
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    rampant p2w approach to the game etc.
    Its funny that you blame them for a p2w approach when blizz nourishes it with their cash shop in the first place.

There are prejudices and steriotypes for every nationlities..
    Swedes: Drunk and ugly teeth..
    Danes: Racists and blond willing girls..
    Those two are completely new to me, usually the other way around from the worlds perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    Its funny that you blame them for a p2w approach when blizz nourishes it with their cash shop in the first place.
    I'm not blaming anyone - I'm stating a fact. P2W (illegally) is much much worse on russian servers
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Even if i knew how to read Cyrillic, i wouldn't to able to call you with your name : i can't write easily in cyrillic with my keyboard.

Blizz could be doing the translation automatically cyrillic letters -> latin letters if the UI language is based on latin letters, so that at least we call you by your name on chat, instead of saying, 'hey the russian dk... f*** there are two of you'

i think this is one of the issue that make non russian people behave strangely with you

i use an online tool to do the conversion : http://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/ru...conversion.htm i've not checked if an addon existed that would do that automatically with nameplates.

Deleted
    Exaggerated stereotypes are not meant to be taken seriously. Nobody believes Russians ride Vodka fueled bears or that Spaniards are all bullfighters.
    Don't take it personally.

People give russians a hard time because they "ride bears".Nope,they are just cool enough to have WoW mounts in real life also.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    Hahaha well if I'm not as an ignorant fool as you, I'm glad I'm ''illiterate''

Btw, did you forget to add Chinese characters? Fool. Most spoken language in the world and that instantly makes you illiterate. Go home now.
    Typical american attitude you have. And then you wonder why most of the world doesn't like you. Fact is, that americans are by far the most illiterate people of any industrialised country, your education system failed you.