Poll: Should I take the test?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

I've booked a MENSA test next week.

A few friends and I were having a laugh and the topic of conversation turned to MENSA (it was in a news paper article) and some of them joked that we should book the test and see if we get it into the group for the sheer purpose of just getting in. To cut a long story short I agreed however now I'm having second thoughts in case I fail the test should I tell them about my reluctance or should I just go for the test since I paid for it already and YOLO?

I'm on pre-exam break atm so I have time to actually "revise" for the test using some online resources as well.
    Last edited by Shinra1; 2014-04-29 at 10:21 AM.

Deleted
    What's the point in joining MENSA?

If I had any faith you'd be honest, I'd save this topic for later when you get your average or slightly lower than average score.

If you're nervous about it, you already know you're not MENSA material.

I'd suggest bullying more old women on the train.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    So you can "prove" youre intelligent without having actual accomplisments.

If you fear to lose the test and therefore dont want to take the test you have already lost the test.

Firstly I dont' thin you can revise for a mensa test, you will either pass it or not :P

Go for it man, if you don't you will never know. If by some act of Sargaras, you pass then you can wave it in your mates face for ever

There are a lot of activities planned on the calendar and you baiscally meet other MENSAns and you also sub to a MENSA publication and you can do a lot of stuff in the comunity like helping gifted youths and restocking libraries there's also insurance and MENSA credit card.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    So you can "prove" youre intelligent without having actual accomplisments.

If you fear to lose the test and therefore dont want to take the test you have already lost the test.
    I don't fear the test. I've seen practice style questions online and they're just a step above an IQ test which I've actually taken before and gained an auspicious score. However, testing on the actual day can be unpredictable and I could fail it while my friends pass. What if I become a laughing stock? If I back out now, I'll also "lose". Should I just YOLO?

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    However, testing on the actual day can be unpredictable and I could fail it while my friends pass. What if I become a laughing stock? If I back out now, I'll also "lose". Should I just YOLO?
    Don't worry, if all your friends pass and you do not it just means you are the least intelligent of the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Don't worry, if all your friends pass and you do not it just means you are the least intelligent of the group.
    Apparently 1 in 50 passes the test so it's not impossible.

Deleted
    Since you've already got it booked and success could improve your confidence so go ahead and give it a shot. Besides that failing a test that only the top few (I have been told it's two percent in the past) can pass is not going to make you a laughing stock even if your friends pass it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Apparently 1 in 50 passes the test so it's not impossible.
    that does not equal a 1 in 50 chance though.

First off, you definitely cannot revise for a MENSA test so don't waste your time trying (source: I was a member for several years).
    Second, you're doing it for a bet (same reason I did, actually). Unless you can get a refund you may as well go for it.
    Finally, don't expect the results to actually mean much - there's a lot they don't measure. IQ tests are generally vocab, maths, logic, visualisation. There's nothing about creativity, memory, artistic skills, etc.

Also bear in mind there's several different scales that can be used to calculate your IQ, depending on where in the world you are. I you're going to discuss your results online, make sure you know which scale was used.

10+ Year Old Account
    I never bothered to join, but it is a good chance to meet other people who may see the world in a similar way.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Deleted
    Wait so people pay to take a test to prove how smart you are and provides no real world employment use.

Guess the people that run MENSA are really smart then

Well its a chance to socialize with people who are not intellelectually inferior. Everything Ive heard about MENSA and its members has been posetive, they are apparently some of the least pretentious individuals one could meet... and its also not uncommon that they are very accomplished(in our country at least).

Here is one good article
    http://www.metro.se/kolumner/fordoma...Um1H2Yl1uLVPw/

A retard, is generally defined as a person who got an IQ of 70 or lower. A highly gifted person is often defined as someone who has an IQ of +131. As you can notice the differences is the same, a normal person is thus a retard for a highly gifted person.

Forcing highly gifted children to go in school with normal kids is one of the great injustices we do these children. Just as we got special need classes for retards we should have special need classes for highly gifted kids if they want to.

Does it sound elitist? Sure, but its really unfair to have them in normal classes where they are not stimulated enough.

Not hating on retards btw.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-04-29 at 10:48 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I passed one when I was 15. I felt so smart.

Deleted
    Seeing as you said YOLO several times already... I just have that feeling you won't pass the test :P

No offence though! Good luck with your test

So it's a chance to join a club which only benefit is so you can "oh look how smart I am, I'm in a club for people with high IQ's". I doubt I'm alone in thinking people who want you to know how smart they are by joining a club aren't good friend material.

Quote Originally Posted by Furell View Post
    Seeing as you said YOLO several times already... I just have that feeling you won't pass the test :P

No offence though! Good luck with your test
    Didn't you know? Official MENSA materials are rife with 'YOLO's, 'SWAG's, and terrible misspellings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mensa has it's use.....
    Like in Germany it enjoys some popularity for it's culinary services.
    Their buffets are open to everyone, and their menu is pretty good, and cheap even for the public which pays "full price".

That's pretty much the only useful aspect.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Didn't you know? Official MENSA materials are rife with 'YOLO's, 'SWAG's, and terrible misspellings.
    I never understood why people get upset over MENSA, it's just a club.