Hundreds of kidnapped Nigerian schoolgirls sold as $12 brides to Islamist Militants

"According to the families of the Nigerian schoolgirls who were likely abducted by Boko Haram, the girls were each sold as brides to Islamist militants for $12 apiece. “They said there had been mass marriages and the girls are being shared out as wives among the Boko Haram militants,” said an uncle of one of the girls. The seizure of the children and subsequent chaos regarding their whereabouts has cast a spotlight on the weakness of Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan’s power, particularly in the face of Islamist militants."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...say/?tid=hp_mm

Really sad. There's really nothing to be done, but still. Do you think this is something the UN should/could get involved in or do we just continue accepting that Africa is hell on earth?

Hey -- don't be culturally insensitive!

Five words that summarize American and European foreign policy on this sort of atrocity for a couple decades now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post

Five words that summarize American and European foreign policy on this sort of atrocity for a couple decades now.
    Indeed, it's a shameful and immoral way of thinking. Accepting inhumanity and slavery because "it's part of their culture!!" makes me want to beat the shit out of all those apologists of evil who plague our society and rot its moral spine. But all I can do is to work towards damaging, despising and scorning them and their agendas only in legal, democratic means.

Most of all, though, it makes me want to shoot every single member of Boko Haram, like the filthy beats they have willingly turned themselves into.

Yes, the UN should definitely intervene and end those rabid beasts.
    Last edited by mmocf7a456daa4; 2014-04-30 at 08:26 PM.

If they can't deal with it themselves then the UN should get involved. Corruption, ineffient governing and failing to preserve the peace in Africa is kind of a common thing though..

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post

It's not up to the west to deal with every little problem other countries have, regardless of their situation or historical ties. If Nigeria asks for help dealing with an incursion like Mali did i'm sure they'll get it. But local stuff like this is up to the Nigerian government to fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swizzle
    just because the voices in your head tell you things, doesn't mean the world gives a crap.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou
    Isn't it great how this thread has dematerialized from the unfair corruption of Ner'zuhl, to whether Kil'Jaeden is a draenei or an Eredar, then to Alien Genetics and now to demon sex...

Deleted
    The British still gets shit for what we did in Africa, why would we go back?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The British still gets shit for what we did in Africa, why would we go back?
    Hopefully the contexts of visiting would be pretty different.

The issue isn't as simple as 'The UN should get involved'. If you want to end atrocity, you are talking about waging war all over the world. Who will fight the war on such a grand scale? Will the draft be reinstated in our country? Will people be pressed into military service in U.N. member states to fight these wars? Will the governments of U.N. member states be authorized to confiscate whatever war materiel is required from their citizens to support their swelling armies? Would you quietly accept strict rationing of food and fuel to support the war effort?

It's easy to say 'we should do something' when by 'we' you mean 'someone else while I sit on the couch and feel better about what I see on CNN'. There is no clean way to wage a holy war. Either someone goes in and conquers them and establishes a new rule of law, or the problem won't go away. Even worse, the problem STILL might not go away.

It's not that I don't think we should never get involved in preventing atrocities from happening. It's just that it's not so simple as some seem to believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    "According to the families of the Nigerian schoolgirls who were likely abducted by Boko Haram, the girls were each sold as brides to Islamist militants for $12 apiece. “They said there had been mass marriages and the girls are being shared out as wives among the Boko Haram militants,” said an uncle of one of the girls. The seizure of the children and subsequent chaos regarding their whereabouts has cast a spotlight on the weakness of Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan’s power, particularly in the face of Islamist militants."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/m...say/?tid=hp_mm

Really sad. There's really nothing to be done, but still. Do you think this is something the UN should/could get involved in or do we just continue accepting that Africa is hell on earth?
    Doesn't the American government keep saying its all about using the military to support freedom and democracy? If taking down these assholes isn't supporting freedom and democracy, I don't know what is.

Quote Originally Posted by Lubricious View Post
    The issue isn't as simple as 'The UN should get involved'. If you want to end atrocity, you are talking about waging war all over the world. Who will fight the war on such a grand scale? Will the draft be reinstated in our country? Will people be pressed into military service in U.N. member states to fight these wars? Will the governments of U.N. member states be authorized to confiscate whatever war materiel is required from their citizens to support their swelling armies? Would you quietly accept strict rationing of food and fuel to support the war effort?

It's easy to say 'we should do something' when by 'we' you mean 'someone else while I sit on the couch and feel better about what I see on CNN'. There is no clean way to wage a holy war. Either someone goes in and conquers them and establishes a new rule of law, or the problem won't go away. Even worse, the problem STILL might not go away.

It's not that I don't think we should never get involved in preventing atrocities from happening. It's just that it's not so simple as some seem to believe.
    I'm not saying we could get involved, of course it's not that simple. This is just another sad event that shows the modernized world can't do anything but accept that Africa will be hell until it fixes its self, so in that case we're set for many more decades of sad events in Africa that we can do nothing about.

The British Empire has been one of the greatest net forces for good in human history, exhausting when they apologize for themselves. There is no perfect nation and no perfect history. Fewer people on the planet have more to be proud of in their history than does the United Kingdom.