Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

STEM - how early is too early?

What do people think about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics). When should a child begin learning about this stuff? Do programs like Common Core ACTUALLY help, or are things like it causing children to abandon their hopes of becoming what they wanted to be?

Do you believe there is a method to teaching children these important types of education?

I kind of get the sense that in order for kids to grow up that DESIRE a future job in one of those fields, then they need to be INSPIRED early on, and not be taught to dread it, or be told "sorry, math is just hard, some people just can't do it.".

My sister-in-law (she's 16) was struggling in her math class, and when my wife and I heard her tell us what her teacher said, we were appalled. She literally told her that math is just too hard for her and she just won't be able to understand it. REALLY?

My wife was able to tutor her for a little while, and her next test she aced. I am thinking that teachers either don't care or are too lazy to find ways to help kids learn, rather than fear these subjects.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

10+ Year Old Account
    It's never too early to teach anything if you know how to present it.

And I strongly doubt a teacher said that.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

10+ Year Old Account
    The teaching of the fundamentals of science should be started at the beginning of education, if not earlier.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Symphonic View Post
    What do people think about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics). When should a child begin learning about this stuff? Do programs like Common Core ACTUALLY help, or are things like it causing children to abandon their hopes of becoming what they wanted to be?

Do you believe there is a method to teaching children these important types of education?

I kind of get the sense that in order for kids to grow up that DESIRE a future job in one of those fields, then they need to be INSPIRED early on, and not be taught to dread it, or be told "sorry, math is just hard, some people just can't do it.".

My sister-in-law (she's 16) was struggling in her math class, and when my wife and I heard her tell us what her teacher said, we were appalled. She literally told her that math is just too hard for her and she just won't be able to understand it. REALLY?

My wife was able to tutor her for a little while, and her next test she aced. I am thinking that teachers either don't care or are too lazy to find ways to help kids learn, rather than fear these subjects.

No offense, but seeing as the teacher is the one that sees her struggle with it everyday. I would take her word over most others (Not saying a teacher is always right)

While it's nice to say you can do anything as long as you try hard enough. In the real world this doesn't always work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post

I would hope her teacher didn't say that, but that's what my sister-in-law said. Just that it's a hard subject and some people are bad at it, essentially. Anyway, that's beside the point. I am just curious when people start teaching their children these subjects, or if they rely on teachers, and what the most appropriate way to teach them is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would hope her teacher didn't say that, but that's what my sister-in-law said. Just that it's a hard subject and some people are bad at it, essentially. Anyway, that's beside the point. I am just curious when people start teaching their children these subjects, or if they rely on teachers, and what the most appropriate way to teach them is.
    Like any subject it should be a combination of teacher, student's own work, and parents.

but in encouraging them to always ask questions about how and why as they observe the world around them and to foster their curiosity.
    That is a teaching method in and of itself.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    I don't know a ton about Common Core, but my understanding is that it's actually kind of awful, at least in regards to math.

I can say that my mother is a chemist and she used to volunteer at my elementary school, coming in once a week to teach us really basic chemistry stuff and do an experiment of some sort that would interest children. I don't really think it's ever too early to be taught about science at least. I think the best way to "teach" children isn't directly found in any teaching strategy, but in encouraging them to always ask questions about how and why as they observe the world around them and to foster their curiosity.
    I like this idea. I do think that would be a really awesome thing to help kids want to learn about the subjects. Seeing it in action as a fun and exciting thing could inspire them to learn more. They could know it might be difficult, but that they can do it if they put their mind to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this idea. I do think that would be a really awesome thing to help kids want to learn about the subjects. Seeing it in action as a fun and exciting thing could inspire them to learn more. They could know it might be difficult, but that they can do it if they put their mind to it.
    The subjects aren't more difficult, it's just scientific and mathematical literacy among parents is low and there's an on-running myth of how difficult they actually are, and how little kids are pushed.

It is, but I was really trying to get at children don't need to be encouraged so much as they need to not be discouraged.
    Bang on. Too much rides on test results so there's a fear of being wrong mixed with a lot of learned helplessness. By high school, many kids approach education with dread.

Kids should have superior DNA injected in their skulls in their embryonical state, right through the mother's womb, so they can start being functioning workhorse achievers they very moment they're born. Life ain't all fun and games! It's a tough economy out there!

15+ Year Old Account
    Now that I think back my school days, I see what the problems with our science education were.

We were taught maths, physics, chemistry, biology... all that jazz. But what they really didn't say was that WHY should/must we study those, and WHY you MUST understand these things. They didn't emphasize it enough that you really need to understand all this shit if you ever want to be an engineer or scientist. And we weren't encouraged to pursue those fields in my school. I didn't think of myself as a science guy back in school - I was interested in physics, but not that much else during high school. I was more into business, history, philosophy and geography. I studied business for a couple of years in the university and I hated it. Now I'm a natural science guy and I regret I didn't pay much attention to science in high school.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Now that I think back my school days, I see what the problems with our science education were.

We were taught maths, physics, chemistry, biology... all that jazz. But what they really didn't say was that WHY should/must we study those, and WHY you MUST understand these things. They didn't emphasize it enough that you really need to understand all this shit if you ever want to be an engineer or scientist. And we weren't encouraged to pursue those fields in my school. I didn't think of myself as a science guy back in school - I was interested in physics, but not that much else during high school. I was more into business, history, philosophy and geography. I studied business for a couple of years in the university and I hated it. Now I'm a natural science guy and I regret I didn't pay much attention to science in high school.
    Nobody bothers teaching about the questions behind the questions because it verges into philosophy - but it is the thing that, like you, inspires me the most to learn anything. If you trust students to tell them why it is important and use real world examples, they will trust you back and often "click" to why it is important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    No offense, but seeing as the teacher is the one that sees her struggle with it everyday. I would take her word over most others (Not saying a teacher is always right)

While it's nice to say you can do anything as long as you try hard enough. In the real world this doesn't always work out.
    There's a lot of things one can't do, learning math is not one of those things. Math is not something only certain people understand, it's a skill you can train, and that's why what the teacher said is highly inappropiate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post

You don't know much about American education, heh heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akraen View Post
    You don't know much about American education, heh heh.
    Not to the kid's face, at least

Deleted
    Echoing what people are saying, it's never too early to start.

Be it mechanical based toys, buildable trucks, lego, ect

Or reading through books and on basic material and using real life items to teach the child basic concepts, such as subtraction with smarties!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

Agreed, math is fun once you know how to apply it, but teacher's for whatever reason seem to find that part of math unimportant... it's the 21st century yet still we have boring and uninspiring textbooks dominating the classroom.

Deleted
    schools in the UK start teaching the basics as soon as possible, from like the age of 5.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    schools in the UK start teaching the basics as soon as possible, from like the age of 5.
    But, how do they teach it? I agree teaching early on is ideal, but I don't want them causing kids to fear these subjects, as commonly seems to happen.

Deleted
    But, how do they teach it? I agree teaching early on is ideal, but I don't want them causing kids to fear these subjects, as commonly seems to happen.
    Vocal repetition of times tables as a group. That's about as much as I can remember.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the child. Every child is unique in how they learn and...yadda yadda.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi