Thread: Cheating in pvp

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ermahgerd View Post
    Nah, that's most probably just latency being latency. I reckon the "lag switching" people are talking about makes it so your enemy basically teleports around the map.
    exactly, like my situation i described the healer had no chance to win but he cheated so that he could make us lose rating as well, in the end he died with 1 minute to go and that serves him right for being a douchebag.

dont know if someone already mentioned it:

for the pretty common auto interupt hack, just have this little macro in your actionbar:

/cast flash heal
    /stopcasting

just replace "flash heal" with any spell that you got in case you dont have a flash heal ;-)

pretty easy to trick them and laugh at them

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by illana View Post
    auto interrupt
    auto skill use (defensive stance while stunned)
    lag switches
    ddos
    you disrespect, you disconnect!

Quote Originally Posted by Hikashuri View Post
    lag switches and auto interrupt seems to be the worse and those people get banned in big waves pretty much every month atm.
    Well this is all that really matters then, assuming they're doing a thorough job of it. My impression has been that Blizzard just doesn't care enough to properly investigate cheaters anymore, and of course people will turn to cheating when they think it'll go unpunished.

If anyone knows any details on this, are they actually permabanning for running bots? Or is this Blizzard-tier action, i.e. temp ban and no reset?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Illana View Post

Also scumbag healers who don't leave after their partner dies vs double dps kind of annoy me as welll
    That's because the game isn't over yet. Epic comebacks 1v2 are ALWAYS possible, even if it's 1 healer vs. 2 DPS or 1 DPS + 1 Healer.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    That's because the game isn't over yet. Epic comebacks 1v2 are ALWAYS possible, even if it's 1 healer vs. 2 DPS or 1 DPS + 1 Healer.
    This is true, I've won games by rezzing my partner lol. That was awhile ago though, usually players that let that happen are reallllllly bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Toobad View Post
    You can get someone's IP via Skype or Teamspeak or any similar program.

I'm not sure about any other techniques, but this is how my friend got DDOSd numerous times, to the point when he simply quit PvP.
    What? They use the same wow name as their Skype name and people just look them up? Or their on Skype with the person their playing against?

This is what I mean, like if people get DDOSed the person has to figure out who their playing against, which wouldn't be in the wow client afaik. So do people have to open themselves up to DDOS by releasing their online ident in some other way? Or can you just glean it from the client.

[

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post
    What? They use the same wow name as their Skype name and people just look them up? Or their on Skype with the person their playing against?

This is what I mean, like if people get DDOSed the person has to figure out who their playing against, which wouldn't be in the wow client afaik. So do people have to open themselves up to DDOS by releasing their online ident in some other way? Or can you just glean it from the client.

[
    Unless I'm mistake, the only way to DDoS is to have your opponents IP address. Without the IP it is impossible because they send packets to disrupt the connection of their opponent and thus it must be direct. Server DDoS requires a tremendous amount of resources and would land you in some serious legal trouble. Skype is very vulnerable to IP acquisition and shouldn't be used if you intend to avoid such an attack.

Lag hacks and interrupt hacks are a different breed. Lag hacks could be prevented by Blizzard if they created a more strict latency environment. Interrupt hacks are extremely difficult to counter due to the nature of them. Many read memory and activate upon an ability being used, which is why people are suggesting the stop cast macro to inject it into the system and immediately cancel to prevent an amateur interrupt hacker from succeeding. More advanced interrupt hackers won't be so easily fooled unfortunately.
    Last edited by Yimereh; 2014-05-05 at 10:01 PM.
    My Partner does vegan food art @Monaco's Kitchen:
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Monacos-Kit...age_fan_invite
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/monacoskitchen/

Deleted
    If you do Twitch streaming without using a proxy for chat, you can be attacked from that vector.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This is true, I've won games by rezzing my partner lol. That was awhile ago though, usually players that let that happen are reallllllly bad...
    I also remember winning games 1v2 without even rezzing my partner, as a Prot Warrior. Granted it was back in early Cata back when Vengeance still triggered from taking player damage, which made tanks OP when Vengeance got buffed.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by teddytous View Post

[
    No, it's not some hardcore hacking... It's pretty simple actually.

Say you're some hotshot PvP player and you want to cap CPs on an alt. You team up with some random guy, let's call him Ivan.

Ivan has a friend who's name is Sasha. Sasha happens to be a super PvP player too.

So Ivan tells his friend Sasha that he's playing with you and he got you on TS, where he can simply right click you and select "show info" where your IP is shown.

He then proceeds by sending your address to his friend Sasha so that he could outplay you next time you face him.

Like I said, this is ONE way. I'm pretty sure there is much more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hammel View Post
    dont know if someone already mentioned it:

for the pretty common auto interupt hack, just have this little macro in your actionbar:

/cast flash heal
    /stopcasting

just replace "flash heal" with any spell that you got in case you dont have a flash heal ;-)

pretty easy to trick them and laugh at them
    So this actually works? Just hit it once before casting the real heal?

IF their interrupt is triggered there should be a auto report in the macro. It's hysterical that such a thing probably could be done with addons but Blizzard fail to do it with all their tech. Shows how much they want to deal with rus... I mean cheaters.

Now, get working on anti-cheat addons people. I want to see three by the end of this day. Thank you!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    I also remember winning games 1v2 without even rezzing my partner, as a Prot Warrior. Granted it was back in early Cata back when Vengeance still triggered from taking player damage, which made tanks OP when Vengeance got buffed.

I've won a few games at >1300 rating 1v2 as a windwalker monk. i've never been able to get a res off in 2v2s, the opponents would have to be a special kind of bad to allow that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I hear so many DDOS it's amazing. I'm starting to think people are exaggerating.
    One of those crazy assertions that gains ground on internet forums without anyone offering any evidence that it is actually occurring. All of a sudden anytime anyone who has a high opinion of themselves gets disconnected they automatically consider it a DDOS attack against them, because, obviously, they are important enough to warrant such behavior

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kitti Pryde View Post
    It's pretty popular in high-ranked RBGs.
    Based on what evidence? Hearsay?

Quote Originally Posted by tauntor View Post
    My pet freeze has missed the same way. He probably had spiritwalkers grace up
    Windwalk Totem

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    One solution is that blizz should write some sort of punkbuster based program that checks for a certification for approved addons.

Addons that are written must receive approval by blizzard before issue of this cert.

Would stop botting and other illegal addons by instantly dcing anyone logging on without approved programs.

Quote Originally Posted by villie View Post
    One solution is that blizz should write some sort of punkbuster based program that checks for a certification for approved addons.

Addons that are written must receive approval by blizzard before issue of this cert.

Would stop botting and other illegal addons by instantly dcing anyone logging on without approved programs.
    Which would insta dc people who modify addon to suit their needs / tastes unless they went through (more than likely, a very long arduous process of getting "approved") the "approval" process.
    Blizzard needs to just step up and banhammer people more.

Quote Originally Posted by bt4 View Post
    ddos -your job to protect your ass - blizz is innocent.
    lag switches-this is entirely blizz fault. If their netcode wasnt shit it wouldnt be a problem.

the automation thing -sadly cant be fixed by blizz -at least on tournees its impossible so for competitions it wont matter.
    People who DDOS should still be banned. As for the automated skill use, it's the same as botting and should be trackable, people using such programs should be banned aswell.

That said, I don't see too much of cheating like this. Sometimes you get bot riddled BGs for some reason, sure. But actually getting DDOSed or people running something that makes them interupt on spellcast, haven't really seen anything like it. And turtling on a stun isn't even possible, if the spell isn't useable during a stun it doesn't matter if he runs a program or not, he anticipated the stun on your part and used defensive stance.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    People who DDOS should still be banned.
    DDoS'ing is obviously against ToS and bannable. The root of the problem is, you can't catch/prove someone is DDoS'ing you. A true DDoS would require the computers flooding your network be mostly unrelated to the person triggering the attack. I can't even begin to imagine how insanely difficult it would be for a Blizzard employee to catch someone DDoS'ing you with enough evidence to ban them.
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-05-09 at 07:23 AM.

I don't understand the need to defend PvP bots. Should be detected, should be banned are not really valid arguments for Blizzard. It's almost like people don't want to acknowledge their existence or that it's a widespread problem.