Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Wow needs more towns

I'm talking like Gilneas/SW type places. Where there are a bunch of buildings and it feels like an actual town rather than a small gathering of buildings. And I mean as a quest hub or something like that not as a main city. I think a battleground that happens in a closed quarter type map would be cool as well. Just something I've thought about for a while, thought I'd bring it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    I'm talking like Gilneas/SW type places. Where there are a bunch of buildings and it feels like an actual town rather than a small gathering of buildings. And I mean as a quest hub or something like that not as a main city. I think a battleground that happens in a closed quarter type map would be cool as well. Just something I've thought about for a while, thought I'd bring it up.
    There are dozens of actual, indepth towns in Warcraft lore; they just aren't represented ingame (probably due to map size restrictions, and the infeasbility of actually having to recreate every single town ingame).

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds cool, though if we're talking something the likes of Stormwind, that's quite a bit to put together for the purpose of a quest hub that few have reason to return to after questing through it. Maybe if there is further reason for it to exist, such as places like Shattrath, Dalaran, and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    And farms. Where the hell does all the food come from?
    Aye mate

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    And farms. Where the hell does all the food come from?
    Well, considering Azeroth is populated by hundreds of thousands of mages, and magical technology is a common sight, it could be said that food is just simply conjured up in the masses.

I'd love it if there was a big sprawling city that was like a quest zone inside a city. Like Gilneas yeah. Or Stromgarde. Stratholme is good in that sense too (though a dungeon).

I think the reason we have few cities is simply because friendly cities serve little purpose in the game. They can barely justify the existence of racial capitals outside SW/Org.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Well, considering Azeroth is populated by hundreds of thousands of mages, and magical technology is a common sight, it could be said that food is just simply conjured up in the masses.
    Yet the orcs almost starved to death under thrall. Hellscream had to attack the night elves just to feed his people.
    Aye mate

Yet the orcs almost starved to death under thrall. Hellscream had to attack the night elves just to feed his people.
    Orcs couldn't become mages at the time, and they hunters were largely unfamiliar with the land, so until the Kirn Tor taught Orcs to become mages, they did indeed have to rely on more traditional methods.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I'd love it if there was a big sprawling city that was like a quest zone inside a city. Like Gilneas yeah. Or Stromgarde. Stratholme is good in that sense too (though a dungeon).

I think the reason we have few cities is simply because friendly cities serve little purpose in the game. They can barely justify the existence of racial capitals outside SW/Org.
    Would make great places for RPers and help add atmosphere to the game; a sense that Azeroth is a place.

I'd love it if there was a big sprawling city that was like a quest zone inside a city.
    Last edited by gahlmanwoa; 2014-05-05 at 05:48 AM.

Orcs - Not too good with magic!

10+ Year Old Account
    Northshire used to be as big as a mini Stormwind until the Orcs came and ruined that /makesuplorecausehecan
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Didn't WoW in alpha have more realistic sizes for towns, but they decided it was too big and "empty" so scaled things back?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Didn't WoW in alpha have more realistic sizes for towns, but they decided it was too big and "empty" so scaled things back?
    Yes.

Most times in game with extensive lore, the ingame representations of places is different on account of it either being 1. too time consuming to actually make a fully realistic, life sized replica of the location, or 2. because of technical limitations. An example: If you've read the Forgotten Realms novels, you'll know that Baldur's Gate is a very large city with over 40k people and is quite large (several square miles), but in game there are only a couple hundred NPCs, a few dozen buildings, and the city its'elf is smaller than a football field. This was because it was impractical to spend years of development time to create a life sized, detailed recreation of the city, as well as technically impossible with all those thousands of NPCs. Plus, since there are only a handful of locations in the city itself that players regularly visit, making the city massive enough so that it would take several minutes just to get from the gate to the blacksmith shop would just bog down gameplay. Sure, if done right it would've been immersive, but it in the end it wasn't worth it.

I can't bring myself to remember what it's called, when a town of thousand is turned into few important houses...
    But yeah, that's what is done to warcraft world.

For example, Goldshire is a town of 7000

Azeroth in WoW isn't an accurate representation of its size; everything's scaled down because creating everything to scale would simply be too much effort and be subjected to numerous limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    I think a battleground that happens in a closed quarter type map would be cool as well. Just something I've thought about for a while, thought I'd bring it up.
    The Battle for Gilneas battleground was initially planned to take place inside the city, on those cool streets and alleys. It even had a loading screen artwork reay, but was scraped for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed most little towns get bigger as eras(Expansions) come and go.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I really like Valiance Keep in Borean Tundra, that's a good size.

Original Gold shire was much larger and Iron forge was 2 tiered. Blizzard coped out for smaller towns tho.

Deleted
    I'd love some absolutely massive cities in WoW. Like in GW2.

It's just a matter of imagination and dev time. And huge cities won't feel empty and hollow if you'd bother to add some ambiance and life into them. Divinity's reach never felt lifeless.