15+ Year Old Account

Front Panel USB Sucks?

So I built my computer probably a year and a half ago and pretty much everything works well, but there's always been one thing that's bothered me...the front panel USB just straight up doesn't worth with USB sticks or external HDs. It will recognize them and I can navigate around inside them, but if I try to actually put anything on it or delete something off of it it will just crash.

Anyone had a similar issue? Is there some driver I need to download? I've already downloaded the two USB drivers for my mobo (P8Z77-V) from ASUS' site, but is there something else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most likely issue with the front panel itself.
    PM me weird stuff :3

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    So I built my computer probably a year and a half ago and pretty much everything works well, but there's always been one thing that's bothered me...the front panel USB just straight up doesn't worth with USB sticks or external HDs. It will recognize them and I can navigate around inside them, but if I try to actually put anything on it or delete something off of it it will just crash.

Anyone had a similar issue? Is there some driver I need to download? I've already downloaded the two USB drivers for my mobo (P8Z77-V) from ASUS' site, but is there something else?
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...issue#10261852
    => the dual USB2+USB3 front panel cable headers has to be used on the mobo

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aloryen View Post
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/...issue#10261852
    => the dual USB2+USB3 front panel cable headers has to be used on the mobo
    You are assuming he is using the bitfenix shinobi. Not all cases have a usb3 port that requires 2 different headers connected to have backwards compatibility. For me this is the first Time I even heard of such a thing.

From my personal experince with front panel usb slots they're a bit more flimsy, mine held up for about 4 years before they were busted after a lot of usage. Good thing most pc nowadays have a shitload of usb slots both 2.0 and 3.0 so even if a few fail over time you have enough of em for backups though it is a bit more uncomfortable connecting things on the back slots.

If you've already checked and accounted for any possible driver problems and they still dont work think back if you abused em too much and do a physical check on em to see if they're still ok.

Deleted
    Is it not because they've got less power going to them, so when you try and do something with the attached drive they can't handle it?

the righmost port on my frontpanel works ok, the left one refuses to do anything whatsoever, don't realy care since I only need 1 front one, but strange nonetheless