Thread: PvE Gating?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

PvE Gating?

Are we going to see any gating system in heroic wod raiding?

When mop first launched, my guild went pretty hardcore, we managed to rank ~20 in world 25man ranking. However, we had to raid for 6 hours a day, 5-7days a week, and many people couldn't handle it anymore after a certain time. I am not a casual, I am not talking about raiding 3 days a week, 3 hours a day. I would just like to see the top guilds being the guilds who are actually the best, not those that can raid for the longest period of time. I really loved the limited attempts on heroic lich king, it didn't ask for a lot of my time and everyone was able to compete, no matter if they had 10 hours a week to raid, or 100.

In the end, some of our key players stopped playing at the end of T14 and we lost the race for realm first. Not because we were worse than the other guild, some of us just couldn't contribute so much time.

What do you guys think about wing gating or attempts per boss? I am aware that it limits super hardcore top guilds, but the race still stays even, and they would still find the time for progress outside the gating system, like gearing alts they might need.

This isn't my ranting about jumping into something I couldn't handle. I am just considering going back to raiding for realm first in wod, and if that means raiding for 6+ hours each day on top of daily quests and other stuff, I'm out. I'd like my guild to be ranked based on the ability of its members to play their classes and work together, not based on time spent in instance.

Also, before you throw any world top guilds arguments, I don't think that a competitive raiding system that encourages a 15hours/day playstyle in order to win as a good idea. It's just not healthy both mentally and physically.

PLEASE provide your opinions followed up by arguments, don't bash.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly don't think gating will work. It might make them talk more about it in between pulls, but unless there was a TIME limit instead of a pull limit, I don't think you'd see a whole lot of difference? I can imagine a lot of what top guilds do is trial and error (and I could be wrong). You could easily cut back on that, I would think. Maybe not be so risky? I'm not really sure. I don't care either way, I think gated content is a good idea, but I don't think x amount of tries is good.

There will be no Realm Firsts in WoD, so that idea is pointless.

10+ Year Old Account
    With all of the new connected realms it's a little hard to understand how a realm first would even work. On realms like this, made up of tow or more realms, raiding guilds will theoretically be made up of people from different realms so the whole concept is a bit odd. There are still some realms that are large enough to be not connected to any other realm but it's difficult to see Blizzard supporting anything like this with achievements for some realms and not others. So as SinAscendant said it's all sort of pointless.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    Pretty sure there are still raid realm firsts.. they are removing realm frists for Skills/Levels. (ie no Realm first level 100/realm first max level enchanting etc)

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    With all of the new connected realms it's a little hard to understand how a realm first would even work. On realms like this, made up of tow or more realms, raiding guilds will theoretically be made up of people from different realms so the whole concept is a bit odd. There are still some realms that are large enough to be not connected to any other realm but it's difficult to see Blizzard supporting anything like this with achievements for some realms and not others. So as SinAscendant said it's all sort of pointless.
    I thought guilds on connected realms were still per-realm only.
    Had no direct experience of connected realms yet on my realm in the EU.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    Realm firsts have only been removed for things like leveling up and professions. Nothing has been stated for raiding.

They shouldn't balance anything around "races" at all, 99.9% of the playerbase don't care about them. Other than that, limited attempts will just be circumvented with alt raids as they did in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by rinleezwins View Post
    What do you guys think about wing gating or attempts per boss? I am aware that it limits super hardcore top guilds, but the race still stays even, and they would still find the time for progress outside the gating system, like gearing alts they might need.
    I guess you weren't around for ICC then. The most hardcore guilds just made everyone level and gear alts to practice those bosses on to get around having limited pulls, and did the same for Algalon with his hour time limit. There is no system that people won't find a way around. If they went as far as lockouts per account super hardcore guilds would then make their players have multiple accounts. The race will always be "won" by the guilds with the players that play 24/7 during progression, just don't care about it and don't join a guild that aspires for that.

Are we going to see any gating system in heroic wod raiding?

When mop first launched, my guild went pretty hardcore, we managed to rank ~20 in world 25man ranking. However, we had to raid for 6 hours a day, 5-7days a week, and many people couldn't handle it anymore after a certain time. I am not a casual, I am not talking about raiding 3 days a week, 3 hours a day. I would just like to see the top guilds being the guilds who are actually the best, not those that can raid for the longest period of time. I really loved the limited attempts on heroic lich king, it didn't ask for a lot of my time and everyone was able to compete, no matter if they had 10 hours a week to raid, or 100.

In the end, some of our key players stopped playing at the end of T14 and we lost the race for realm first. Not because we were worse than the other guild, some of us just couldn't contribute so much time.

This isn't my ranting about jumping into something I couldn't handle. I am just considering going back to raiding for realm first in wod, and if that means raiding for 6+ hours each day on top of daily quests and other stuff, I'm out. I'd like my guild to be ranked based on the ability of its members to play their classes and work together, not based on time spent in instance.

Also, before you throw any world top guilds arguments, I don't think that a competitive raiding system that encourages a 15hours/day playstyle in order to win as a good idea. It's just not healthy both mentally and physically.

PLEASE provide your opinions followed up by arguments, don't bash.
    You either do what it takes to become a bleeding edge guild, or you accept your World 100+ / US 100+ status. No need to push yourselves as a guild if it's not what your guild members want. But if it is what you want, then pushing yourself consistently won't be such a major issue.

For what it's worth, I really think that HoF and ToES should have been one instance and unlocked at the same time. This time at least we will only have two raid instances.

Blizzard can't do anything to slow the top guilds down. Wing-gating feels like slow progression and falsely stretching out the content. Attempt limits will just cause them to run 3 or 4 alt raids a week to practice on each boss. These guys are the best at what they do for a reason; they find ways around the physical limitations that prohibit people from hardcore, 16 hour/day raiding.

If I remember correctly there was something about gating which thy didn't like? (maybe not) I'm not a top end raider but shouldn't you have to be prepared to do what needs to be done if you want to be on top? It seems like it would be pretty frustrating if you're forced to stop when you want to keep bashing a boss and working out tactics. Then you get into the issues of Blizzard being bashed for artificial gating and being accused of dragging out content.

Upon reflecting, YES we will see gating. 4 months into the expansion when the try-hards have burnt out and unsub we will have Gating. Since LFR will no longer drop loot in order to keep people in refreshing position, you will see Gating like never before.

The guilds that get the kills first are the best. Do you have delusions about thinking you are the best and that you'd be world #1 if time was all even?

Quote Originally Posted by Khorm View Post
    The guilds that get the kills first are the best. Do you have delusions about thinking you are the best and that you'd be world #1 if time was all even?
    Not me... I don't have the attention span which is the majority of wow difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    Not me... I don't have the attention span which is the majority of wow difficulty.
    Are you like that kid at school who thinks it's cool to have ADD?

jokes on you Einstein had it

The guilds that get the kills first are the best.
    Last edited by gahlmanwoa; 2014-05-05 at 05:48 AM.

No? I just really don't have it. WoW raiding is tiny meticulous actions.

Ever played a fighter on a console? Are you the guy that mashes the buttons as fast as possible? Ever played someone who doesn't and they totally kick your ass? The latter person is how I perceive WoW raiding. It's super fickle with predetermined rotation. It's boring. I stick to 5 mans. I'm good at those. They're generally faster paced, more condensed, and more forgiving for me to walk away while healing to get a drink in the middle of a boss fight.

Actually, go read a Walk Through Guide for Ephemeral Fantasia or Way of the Samurai, both on the PS2. That's the best comparison I have.... or Punch-out.

Quote Originally Posted by gahlmanwoa View Post
    The guilds that get the kills first are the best.
    I am not saying they don't deserve the titles, but if my guild could raid for as long as those guilds do, we would not end up rank 20, we would end up top 15 or even top 10. It just saddens me that you are required to go into a total no-life mode to achieve anything in the PvE environment.

I am not saying they don't deserve the titles, but if my guild could raid for as long as those guilds do, we would not end up rank 20, we would end up top 15 or even top 10. It just saddens me that you are required to go into a total no-life mode to achieve anything in the PvE environment.
    Not if that rank 100 guild that raids 6 hours a week comes and kicks your ass because Blizz will only let you raid 6 hours a week. See how this goes?