Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Should pro-life groups use Future Diary to promote abstinence?

I'm pro-choice, but I can't help but imagine that if our youth believed all romantic relationships to be similar to the relationship portrayed in Future Diary, th fewer kids would be having sex; or interacting with the opposite gender in any way. With that being said, do you think it would be wise of pro-life groups to encourage teenagers to watch this anime?

Last edited by Nakura Chambers; 2014-05-10 at 05:30 AM.

Deleted
    Promoting abstinence is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    I'm pro-choice, but I can't help but imagine that if our youth believed all romantic relationships to be similar to the relationship portrayed in Future Diary, that fewer kids would be having sex; or interacting with the opposite gender in any way.
    Implying some people aren't up for a bit of yandere.

Why are "pro-life" groups viewed as religious to begin with? And why do you think that "pro-life" groups demand that people abstain from sex? It makes no sense to me. I personally agree with early abortion within the first month or so. But how many "pro-choice" folks agree with aborting a child 2 weeks from delivery? Do you see my point? It's not a religious issue, it's about when does a fetus become a living human being? As soon as it's born? If so, why is late-term abortion banned?

No. People should simply not get knocked up. And they should also have the balls and the brains to admit that abortion is killing a person.

Quote Originally Posted by Itisamuh View Post
    No. People should simply not get knocked up. And they should also have the balls and the brains to admit that abortion is killing a person.
    and it begins.

Quote Originally Posted by BastilaShan View Post
    Why are "pro-life" groups viewed as religious to begin with? And why do you think that "pro-life" groups demand that people abstain from sex? It makes no sense to me. I personally agree with early abortion within the first month or so. But how many "pro-choice" folks agree with aborting a child 2 weeks from delivery? Do you see my point? It's not a religious issue, it's about when does a fetus become a living human being? As soon as it's born? If so, why is late-term abortion banned?
    That was always my problem with the entire debate and having to find a position for myself: When DOES that distinction occur?
    I fully support women who wish for an abortion within the first few weeks, because I believe that it's very likely to lead to a better situation for all involved if no child comes into existence... well, as long as they can provide some type of reason for it. [Couldn't support the child financially, cannot handle the responsibility, yadda yadda.]
    I also see why people are against abortions about 5-6 months in and onwards, so long as the mother's life isn't endangered.[The survival of the mother has priority over that of the unborn child, imo.]
    The difficulty is now to assess when the switch occurs. Is it 2 months in? 2.3 months? 4.2?

PS: I also disagree with a mentality that's fairly present in pro-life people, where they want to forbid people from abortion because people should bear the consequences of their actions. This is a thought process based on the need to punish people for what they did that you consider "wrong". These people basically want mother and child to be punished for the actions of the mother, out of their own somewhat twisted desire for righteousness.
    Slightly offtopic, but that same mentality is also what is responsible for a lot of the high crime rates in the US: Prison exists solely to punish wrong-doers, the populace does not want criminals to be reintroduced into society and they desire permanent records in order to prevent criminals from getting close to them unknowingly.

Believe it or not one can go into adulthood without obsessing over sex, and obsessing over having sex. Telling kids that abstinence is a legitimate choice is NOT unreasonable, nor is it wrong. Anyway I thought that whole "choice" thing was what was important. Give them the real tools to make choices. Not just the facts that any one side wants them to have.

Abstinence does have it's advantages. For example. You're guaranteed to not get pregnant or get an std, some of which have been known to cause death (which is ireversable)

One CAN choose to go that route. It is realistic because there are people who do it. I'm not saying it should be the only thing taught, because no one these days would ever allow it. What I am saying is that it is one of several concepts that should be taught because it should be up to the individual to decide these things and not any educator on what facts kids hear.
    “Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”
    ― G.K. Chesterton

I'm not just a white knight. I'm a freaking Paladin.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post
    Believe it or not one can go into adulthood without obsessing over sex, and obsessing over having sex. Telling kids that abstinence is a legitimate choice is NOT unreasonable, nor is it wrong. Anyway I thought that whole "choice" thing was what was important. Give them the real tools to make choices. Not just the facts that any one side wants them to have.
    That's not what's happening, though. Not here in the US. Kids are taught about how pregnancy works, basic anatomy and physiology of man bits and lady bits, STDs and how they're transmitted, and then we're usually shown nasty pictures of STDs (syphilis is always popular) and usually a video of a woman giving birth to try and scare us into keeping our legs crossed.

None of this talks about barrier methods, where to get them, and how to use them. There's no mention of what to do if the barrier fails. There's no mention of types of birth control (pill, patch, IUD, etc), or how to get them. If Plan B is mentioned at all, it's very vague and they certainly don't tell you what to do if the guy makes an oopsie or the barrier breaks.

They don't give you any details on STDs. They don't give any actual education on how to have safe sex and ensure you don't get an STD. They don't tell you what you should do if you do catch an STD, or think you may have gotten one, but they'll pound the desk and scream about HIV and AIDS (without actually telling you anything useful about them) to try and scare you into not having sex.

I don't think they even mentioned girls being sure to get regular OB/GYN visits, or how to handle things like yeast infections or UTIs (both of which are a lot more common if the girl is sexually active) or teaching guys how to self-check for testicular cancer. Shit, they probably didn't even tell us anything about jock itch or what to do about it.

Worse than that, absolutely no attention is given to rape and preventing rape (much less knowing what rape even is, legally), identifying and doing something about risky behavior, or any of that. It's not as if kids aren't drinking and smoking and having (often unprotected) sex, it's just that our educational system likes to pretend that shit doesn't happen, so when something bad inevitably happens, the kids are completely unprepared for it and have no idea what to do.

And then people wonder why America has a rather high teenage pregnancy rate, along with an extremely high divorce rate.

Abstinence is definitely an option, and one some kids actually will pursue, whether by choice or by just sucking at talking to girls. But it's not the only option, it's by far the least popular option, and it's resulting in a lot of problems that could be avoided by not pretending it's the only choice.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

Quote Originally Posted by bayushisan View Post

Abstinence does have it's advantages. For example. You're guaranteed to not get pregnant or get an std, some of which have been known to cause death (which is ireversable)

One CAN choose to go that route. It is realistic because there are people who do it. I'm not saying it should be the only thing taught, because no one these days would ever allow it. What I am saying is that it is one of several concepts that should be taught because it should be up to the individual to decide these things and not any educator on what facts kids hear.
    I haven't heard of a single health class, factual based or otherwise, that doesn't stress that the only 100% sure way to avoid STDs and pregnancies is abstinence. It's simply unrealistic to assume that everyone will make that choice.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Considering that is my favorite anime by far and would gladly take Yuno as my waifu if I was that kind of anime fan, this wouldn't change a god damn thing.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

They've got enough problems, I don't think referring teens(or whatever age group) to a cartoon will help their case, they've already got enough fiction to spread their strange hate speech/controlling message.

I really don't get why people have to care about issues that can't, and won't, affect them in any way, it's just nonsensical to begin with. The best thing to do for youth these days is to educate them, not brainwash, educate.

If you're pro-life, I hope you've adopted, or are planning to adopt a child that was given up because the mother who couldn't take care of it(for whatever reason), couldn't get an abortion. If you're not willing to take care of the unwanted child that was born, then you're just some miserable jackass with nothing better to do than make sure others are as miserable as you.

Quote Originally Posted by diddle View Post
    and it begins.
    Indeed.

Honestly, what kind of response do you hope to get on the MMOchamp forums? You will either get "I don't care"s or

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Yep. It clearly doesn't work in every study and trial ever done, and also is demonstrably worthless in practice by looking at certain states in the USA.

Abstinence results in... well, the opposite. They are going to have sex. Deal with it, and education them on the subject. Tell teenagers they can't do something and they are more likely to want to do it!

- - - Updated - - -

and it begins.
    Which is why said person is on my ignore list. Seeing copies of ignored posts in quotes reminds me why.

Quote Originally Posted by Durandro View Post
    Yep. It clearly doesn't work in every study and trial ever done, and also is demonstrably worthless in practice by looking at certain states in the USA.

Abstinence results in... well, the opposite. They are going to have sex. Deal with it, and education them on the subject. Tell teenagers they can't do something and they are more likely to want to do it!
    Its almost as if abstinence doesn't work in a culture and society that constantly encourages sex at every possible moment. Weird.

You know what, you are probably right, so they should have sex ed classes that encourage kids to have sex that tells them to not be abstinent, then kids would be abstinent! Because, oh those crazy teenagers always doing the opposite of what people tell them.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    Its almost as if abstinence doesn't work in a culture and society that constantly encourages sex at every possible moment. Weird.

You know what, you are probably right, so they should have sex ed classes that encourage kids to have sex that tells them to not be abstinent, then kids would be abstinent! Because, oh those crazy teenagers always doing the opposite of what people tell them.
    You act like teenagers weren't rolling in the hay two thousand years ago. Teenagers having sex is not something created by modern society.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/PizzaSHARK
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I also do landscaping on weekends with some mexican kid that I "hired". He's real good because he's 100% obedient to me and does everything I say while never complaining. He knows that I am the man in the relationship and is completely submissive towards me as he should be.
    Quote Originally Posted by SUH View Post
    Crissi the goddess of MMO, if i may. ./bow

and it begins.
    Here i fixed it for you http://i.imgur.com/siXerzf.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    You act like teenagers weren't rolling in the hay two thousand years ago. Teenagers having sex is not something created by modern society.
    Whether it was created by it or not isn't what I was talking about. The encouragement of it by the society and culture is.

Sure, they can do whatever they want. It's their show. Freedom of speech and all that. Doesn't absolve them of being criticised or judged, but hey, sure they can take that.

Do I think it's a bad idea? Hell yes I do, but they can use their show for whatever they want, and the people who don't like it can voice their criticism and not watch it. Freedom of speech has come attached with immunity to criticism etc...