Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Republicans Block Tax Credits as 'Protest'

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/15/politi...its/index.html

It is a rare, strange day when Senate Republicans vote to block billions in tax cuts. But that's what happened Thursday when they chose to freeze a massive tax credit package in order to protest how Democrats are running the chamber.

By a vote of 53-40, the EXPIRE Act, which would extend $85 billion in tax credits, failed to get the 60 votes needed to overcome a filibuster.

Only one Republican, Sen. Mark Kirk of Illinois, voted with Democrats to advance the measure. The rest of the GOP votes were "no," as Republicans vented anger that Democrats have refused to allow votes on their amendments to this and most other bills in the past year.

Democrats, frustrated with Republicans for blocking presidential nominees, changed a significant piece of the filibuster rule. Triggering the so-called "nuclear option," Majority Leader Harry Reid and Democrats made it easier to get around GOP objections. That raised hostility behind the scenes to a new level.

At the same time, Republicans are also furious that Democrats will not let bills have a so-called "open" process, where senators can propose amendments and get a vote on their idea.

That is far from unique to Reid or this Senate. Republicans have used the same tactic to choose friendly amendments when they were in the majority.

Quite an interesting development on the Senate front. Call me crazy, but deliberately contradicting one of your chief marketing attractions in order to make a point is less than intelligent to my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    "The rest of the GOP votes were "no," as Republicans vented anger that Democrats have refused to allow votes on their amendments to this and most other bills in the past year."

That's called "democracy", you insufferable buffoons.

And before anyone says it; I don't have any issue with the governmental mechanics of them torpedoing this tax cut bill, because that's "democracy", too. The issue is their internal hypocrisy when it comes to their talking points versus their actual voting behaviour. You can't promise to lower taxes, and then torpedo a tax cut bill because you're annoyed about other completely unrelated things. Well, you can, technically; it's within their power, of course. But their constituents who voted them in to pursue lower taxes should be pissed as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "The rest of the GOP votes were "no," as Republicans vented anger that Democrats have refused to allow votes on their amendments to this and most other bills in the past year."

And before anyone says it; I don't have any issue with the governmental mechanics of them torpedoing this tax cut bill, because that's "democracy", too. The issue is their internal hypocrisy when it comes to their talking points versus their actual voting behaviour. You can't promise to lower taxes, and then torpedo a tax cut bill because you're annoyed about other completely unrelated things. Well, you can, technically; it's within their power, of course. But their constituents who voted them in to pursue lower taxes should be pissed as hell.
    No, it's reached the point at which I take issue with the parliamentary procedures that permit this sort of garbage (i.e. the filibuster).
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Why cut your nose just to spite your face..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    No, it's reached the point at which I take issue with the parliamentary procedures that permit this sort of garbage (i.e. the filibuster).
    The filibuster's a separate issue, but I totally agree on that. Filibusters have no place in politics whatsoever. They're effectively a means by which to throw a toddler-style tantrum to prevent anything getting done. It delays the inevitable, it doesn't actually do anything, other than draw attention to yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do their CVs just say: I'm a fucking nutjob.

10+ Year Old Account
    The filibuster's a separate issue, but I totally agree on that. Filibusters have no place in politics whatsoever. They're effectively a means by which to throw a toddler-style tantrum to prevent anything getting done. It delays the inevitable, it doesn't actually do anything, other than draw attention to yourself.
    My sincere hope is that the Democrats will leverage this in the midterms this year. Things like the ACA and Presidential appointments are either contentious or beyond the reach of the average voter, but blocking tax cuts is a fairly universal language.

really anything at this point has to be "nuclear" with this legislature, it's utterly ridiculous.

I would be surprised if this actually pissed of some of the republican constituents, at least with the tea party members.

- - - Updated - - -

My sincere hope is that the Democrats will leverage this in the midterms this year. Things like the ACA and Presidential appointments are either contentious or beyond the reach of the average voter, but blocking tax cuts is a fairly universal language.
    I'm doubtful, given it seems the GOP is set to win some seats even though their whole philosophy isn't to "run" the government but to hamper it as much as possible. who knows the next election cycle could change that. but it's the same with how the GOP ran with a "where are the jobs?" slogan and have done fuck all to address that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    really anything at this point has to be "nuclear" with this legislature, it's utterly ridiculous.

I would be surprised if this actually pissed of some of the republican constituents, at least with the tea party members.
    Hopefully it will cause a split, which will essentially ensure Democratic preponderance for...quite a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    I'm doubtful, given it seems the GOP is set to win some seats even though their whole philosophy isn't to "run" the government but to hamper it as much as possible. who knows the next election cycle could change that. but it's the same with how the GOP ran with a "where are the jobs?" slogan and have done fuck all to address that.
    Most of the seats that the GOP is 'set to win' are in highly contested areas regardless, and the more accurate predictions state that it can go either way at this point depending on what each side does. If the Democrats are smart, they'll leverage this to try and estrange the Tea Baggers from the main Republican bloc.

Republicans throwing a tantrum...again.

It's surprisingly unsuprising for this to happen.

Hopefully it will cause a split, which will essentially ensure Democratic preponderance for...quite a while.

- - - Updated - - -

Most of the seats that the GOP is 'set to win' are in highly contested areas regardless, and the more accurate predictions state that it can go either way at this point depending on what each side does. If the Democrats are smart, they'll leverage this to try and estrange the Tea Baggers from the main Republican bloc.
    I would hope so on both, the more and more marginalized the tea party becomes the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought this would be a thread praising the Republicans for opposing tax cuts in a recession. Can't win, can they?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    I thought this would be a thread praising the Republicans for opposing tax cuts in a recession. Can't win, can they?
    It's not as simple as that.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    It's not as simple as that.
    So it's their reason for doing the right thing, as opposed to simply just doing the right thing. Like I said, can't win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not when you pander to your base as being the party of lower taxes then a) block tax cuts and b) interfere with the democratic process by filibustering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not when you pander to your base as being the party of lower taxes then a) block tax cuts and b) interfere with the democratic process by filibustering.
    Last time I checked, it was their right to filibuster. Maybe if Harry Reid wasn't such a complete fucking tool, they wouldn't have to.

10+ Year Old Account

They won't be though, because they have R's next to their names.
    Putin khuliyo

10+ Year Old Account
    Last time I checked, it was their right to filibuster. Maybe if Harry Reid wasn't such a complete fucking tool, they wouldn't have to.
    It's a stupid trick of procedure and should be banned, since it's clear that the Senate is incapable of using it responsibly.

10+ Year Old Account
    meanwhile, in related news, the Reps have the lead over the Dems, in regards of the upcoming elections...
    Concludes, the people certainly learn nothing, and actively promote the circle jerking.
    It evades any fraction of common sense, how the very party responsible for barely anything to nothing getting done in Congress, is the party that gets a lead. They shouldn't get any vote whatsoever.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    meanwhile, in related news, the Reps have the lead over the Dems, in regards of the upcoming elections...
    Concludes, the people certainly learn nothing, and actively promote the circle jerking.
    It evades any fraction of common sense, how the very party responsible for barely anything to nothing getting done in Congress, is the party that gets a lead. They shouldn't get any vote whatsoever.
    What if I want to vote for people instead of parties ;(
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi