10+ Year Old Account

Word based links

Not sure if this qualifies as advertising or some running joke, or what, but I noticed this this thread:

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...6#post27165496

Every single time someone says the word "people", it's as a url to people4people.ru

Seems as if there is some script running that will create links from key words. (people is the only one i've noticed so far).

Slightly annoying in that people do often embed links and you don't know whether to click or not and have to waste time hovering over the link to check.

Don't know if it's intentional or not, so throwing this thread out there for you guys to see.

Edit: unless it's something on my clients side, the word people above in speech marks is a link, the other instances of it are not. Something I shall check now.

Edit2: http://i.imgur.com/QzGBBdj.png

You can see the word people is a URL, but in the reply box, you can see it doesn't have the BBCode for a url.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2014-05-20 at 07:24 PM. Reason: broke link so people dont click on accident

That people URL thing isn't showing up when I click the link to the thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just noticed it in a Gamespot article about Wildstar, guess I'm gonna have to run some scans on my system. I run adblock and don't download anything stupid, so curious as to where I got infected. Hmm

http://nerdanswer.com/answer.php?q=482722

10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I'm not seeing it either. Must be on your end Rixis. I run adblock plus and Noscript too.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have some kind of adware on your machine. It's not related to this site.

Check your browser plugins and toolbars. Those are often a source.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

I had a similar-ish issue where I would often get redirected to a fake java update.
    Was apparently an extension which had bundled with it something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    OK got it, it was an addon I used for streaming high quality video. TS Magic Player (if anyone else is using it).

Would have been the last addon on my list wouldn't it, after malware bytes and mcafee came up clean and all my plugins were up to date (checked them last week and again today )

Curiously the addon was last updated 3 week ago, but it only started happening today, sorted now though

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the one time I had to deal with a similar issue was after I had downloaded a codec pack.
    intermittent unavailability
    please PM another global for urgent concerns

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Just noticed it in a Gamespot article about Wildstar, guess I'm gonna have to run some scans on my system. I run adblock and don't download anything stupid, so curious as to where I got infected. Hmm

http://nerdanswer.com/answer.php?q=482722

Try going to your Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs. It sounds almost like you installed something and it contained it's own "search engine". I've seen it before and was usually related to some search program.

Edit: Completely dumb and didn't see you found it a couple posts earlier. I blame medication. >>

Deleted
    I got the same thing the other day reading BBC news, all the words 'people' were linked to the site people4people.ru

Malwarebytes & Bitdefender both came up blank but it was TS Magic Player - not sure how I missed one of those opt in/out for a crappy search engines in the installation!

10+ Year Old Account
    You have an extention of mod on your browser, or Ad-ware on your computer. Many times it is luckily just on your browser.

To check if it is something installed to your browser.
    For FireFox: Ctrl + Shift + A

For Chrome: chrome://extensions/

Or check your computer system under, Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs - Look through the list. I don't recall the name of the program, but I have had that happen to a few clients once.

Many times it is some small extension that people might have missed out on being there.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..