Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Seems a rather simple answer. Selective Service is a sexist policy. I hope, some day, I can pick and choose when I want equality, and ignore inequality on a whim.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    And if there is not enough volunteers to defend the country?
    If there's not enough people who want to defend the country then I see no reason why they should force people to die for a country they don't want to defend.

Deleted
    Why should you die for your country?

When have we ever had a situation in which there weren't enough volunteers to defend the country? When was the last time the United States faced an invasion? Quite frankly, if there's not enough volunteers, then the war is probably nonsense to begin with, so a lack of volunteers is "working as intended". There's no place for forced servitude (conscription) in modern society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    If there's not enough people who want to defend the country then I see no reason why they should force people to die for a country they don't want to defend.
    Nobody wants to defend something conceptual at the risk of their lives. We're all naturally cowards unless pressed against the wall.

It's your choice of course, but I couldn't imagine allowing an interloper rule in place of my own government that I've had to support through taxes. Nor would I permit myself, or anyone, be subjugated by an aggressor in my "homeland".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Werrezer View Post
    I'd die to protect those who are close to me or those that i love, i'm not nationalistic so i don't believe in the notion of serving your nation and giving your life for it alone; But that'd be my circumstances to give my life.

Though i have none of the former circumstances

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Chinchillidae View Post
    I'd die to protect those who are close to me or those that i love, i'm not nationalistic so i don't believe in the notion of serving your nation and giving your life for it alone; But that'd be my circumstances to give my life.

Though i have none of the former circumstances
    I think most people would die to protect the people they love. But does anyone honestly love their country that much that they'd risk their life fighting for it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    When have we ever had a situation in which there weren't enough volunteers to defend the country? When was the last time the United States faced an invasion? Quite frankly, if there's not enough volunteers, then the war is probably nonsense to begin with, so a lack of volunteers is "working as intended". There's no place for forced servitude (conscription) in modern society.
    He lives in the U.K, and the closest we faced it was during the battle of Britain, we enlisted everyone who could fight in active service, those who were too young or infirm into the national guard; And the women to take over day to day tasks.

But back then everyone subscribed to god and queen stuff.

I can't really see it being relevant to today, but it's an interesting topic to speak about.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    You are speaking as an American, Europe has not been so lucky.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Nobody wants to defend something conceptual at the risk of their lives. We're all naturally cowards unless pressed against the wall.

It's your choice of course, but I couldn't imagine allowing an interloper rule in place of my own government that I've had to support through taxes. Nor would I permit myself, or anyone, be subjugated by an aggressor in my "homeland".
    If war would come to Sweden I'd be out of Sweden as fast as possible or be hiding as far away as possible from people.

Deleted
    I don't intend to die, but I will make sure the other bastard does.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cle View Post
    Only Isreael and Norway have women included in military consciption, why isnt this common?

Women can work as soldiers. Israel has shown this for decades even though women have not been in operational forces in IDF for a long time before 2001 when women were allowed in IDF again. 1500 women are drafted in IDF every year, and they even have their own special units and battalions which have engaged in combat many times. Norway will have gender neutral consciption next year, even though they have selective draft.

If the argument is that women are weaker, then simply dont allow weak women to enter army and same goes for men. Reasonably healthy woman has no trouble working in basic infantry.
    Wee have not had a draft period since Vietnam War. Women only got the ability to serve in a combat unit in 2013 in the US and is completely optional, unlike Israel where they mandated to join the military so.

Deleted
    If war would come to Sweden I'd be out of Sweden as fast as possible or be hiding as far away as possible from people.
    Coward! How dare you not risk your life figthing for your country

Deleted
    I think most people would die to protect the people they love. But does anyone honestly love their country that much that they'd risk their life fighting for it?
    Only the truly patriotic would, god and country type of straight up guys that is, others would probably do the same but out of service to their fellow soldiers; And then you'd have me who'd enlist when the situation arises and i feel i have to, then those who are forcefully enlisted.

Or rather drafted, i get the two confused easily

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There were very few places back in WWII that did not feel the effects of war. Your going to be hard pressed to find that place if another occurs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixdraw View Post
    There were very few places back in WWII that did not feel the effects of war. Your going to be hard pressed to find that place if another occurs.
    Sweden was, but then again Sweden was every ones bitch and profited from it

I guess being spineless has its own merits.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quixdraw View Post
    Just hide in Switzerland. No one will ever touch that country.

males are physically better suited for the conditions that army personnel is exposed to. Women with affiliations to the army, at best, can be used to fill 3 roles: wall fodder, secretaries, undercover.

All 3 roles are very necessary in order to maintain a certain degree of structure.

Men are just better suited for combat, nothing personal. Even the very few women that do make the army are...meh... when compared to the average soldier.

Deleted
    Coward! How dare you not risk your life figthing for your country
    It's not that I'd not risk my life fighting. It's that I wouldn't want to be in a position where I was captured by the enemy and raped over and over again.

Deleted
    It's not that I'd not risk my life fighting. It's that I wouldn't want to be in a position where I was captured by the enemy and raped over and over again.
    Happens to the men too.