Thread: Pay-to-potty.

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast

Pay-to-potty.

A Vancouver, Washington school district has removed a teacher while the school investigates claims that students wet their pants due to that teacher's bathroom policy.

Third grade students at Mill Plain Elementary earn play money that they can exchange for treats, KIRO-TV reported. The money can be used to buy things like popcorn or small toys, but it is also used as a bathroom pass.

In two cases last week, children chose to spend money on treats instead of bathroom breaks, and wet themselves because they didn't have enough money for a trip to the restroom, according to their parents.

The investigation began after KATU.com posted a story in which Jasmine Al-Ayadhi said her 9-year-old daughter, Reem, wet herself in class as a result of the "pay to potty" policy. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.s...s_parents.html

According to a follow-up KATU.com report, trips to the bathroom under the policy cost $50 in fake money.
    Do you think "pay to potty" is an appropriate school policy?

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the kind of thing I'd expect at my job (in fact it was almost coming to that). Not at an elementary school. That's just incredibly stupid.

Of course not.

If you need to go to the bathroom that bad, you are not paying attention to class. You are paying attention to the clock and your bladder. This runs counter to the goal of actually educating people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's ok, I don't know what the bathrooms at the middle school and high school I went to look like. Don't know what the college bathrooms look like either.

(look I rarely go to the bathroom outside of my house/hotels I'm staying at)

I think the parents put them up to it. Wet your pants so we can sue them. Kids can get on the bus, get off at the bus stop, walk all the way home from there and still not wet their pants. So 2 kids on the same day wet their pants in between recesses?.

If the children were made to understand that this was how the system worked, then they have no one to blame but themselves. This actually sounds like a smart idea by the teacher.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

I think if my (hypothetical) kid came home with detention because s/he went to the bathroom without permission, I would go to detention in their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    If the children were made to understand that this was how the system worked, then they have no one to blame but themselves. This actually sounds like a smart idea by the teacher.
    I guess that depends on how its earned. Using the restroom isn't something that should be bartered for. You have to eat and drink. After you eat and drink you have to relieve yourself of the waste. In a public school this should be a pretty basic right..

Why even have teachers anymore?, just put them each in their own little cubicle and have a computer program teach them.

BoA models are not very good for bathrooms. It would make much more money going with a cash-shop model. Let the kids go for free, but make them pay for the toilet paper. As an alternative, you could allow them to pay to jump the queue and be first in line. But in order to avoid claims of P2W, it is probably best to just allow kids the ability to buy cosmetic items like decorative toilet seats, or maybe posters for the back of the doors on the stalls.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    I guess that depends on how its earned. Using the restroom isn't something that should be bartered for. You have to eat and drink. After you eat and drink you have to relieve yourself of the waste. In a public school this should be a pretty basic right..
    And it is, but you're typically expected to go to the bathroom during the designated bathroom breaks (between classes). That wasn't a difficult concept for me over 20 years ago, so I can't imagine it's difficult for today's children.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    In RCT, putting a price on the bathrooms is a sure way to piss off your peeps.

Same applies to reality.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

1) The schools have designated bathroom times.
    2)The token policy is to control everyone coming and going when the designated bathroom times are over.

Children failed using the bathroom during the designated time, and used token to buy instead using them when she needed it.

Ridiculous.

Why not just let kids use the bathrooms as needed and address the outlier kids who are abusing the system individually. I think the whole system is retarded. Maybe I don't want my kid to have access to candy like that. Nice job making that decision for me though.

At least my kid's school gives out healthy snacks instead of processed sugar and doesn't pester them about potty time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    2)The token policy is to control everyone coming and going when the designated bathroom times are over.

Children failed using the bathroom during the designated time, and used token to buy instead using them when she needed it.

Let's hope they actually had to go. If not well the system is broken.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I sure hope the rest of the kids in the class don't blame these 2 after they find out the snack rewards are over.

Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post

Indeed. But they are as the article states, 9. Delayment of gratification is not something that is fully developed at that age.

10+ Year Old Account
    One time in the sixth grade, they renovated our school over the summer, and they SWAPPED BATHROOM POSITIONS for male and female. I went into the female one thinking it was the male one, thought it was odd there was no urinals, shrugged and thought it was the new norm, and had three girls screaming at me within five seconds. For that entire year I was known as the "Female bathroom spy"

Going to the bathroom in school is scary enough for kids without this shit.
    You're a towel.

Worst idea ever.

Sure of the "money" for privilege thing but for fucks sake, going to the bathroom is a human need.

This teacher should be charged with child abuse/neglect.