Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    It's ironic to say that people have lack of knowledge yet you didn't even mention Pokemon, Pikmin, Pushmo, Kid Icarus, so on and so forth. You're doing the same thing others are doing, purposely missing information to prove a point.

Someone's not allowed to love Wonderful 101 and say it has great quality, but you're allowed to say since you like Sony exclusives more, they must be better quality?
    Pot, meet kettle.
    Pikmin and Pushmo were good efforts from Nintendo revitalize franchises and create a new one. Pokemon is one of their most milked franchises.

I like a lot of stuff but I'm not going to sit here and swear up and down that one company's quality will always and forever be above anyone else's. That's just blind fanboyism.

Either way though, I don't want to argue about any of that. The point of the thread is about exclusivity which is not only healthy for the industry, but needed. Look at Project Morpheus and Occulus Rift. Both are going to be in direct competition with each other and because of that we will all get better products because of it.

Deleted
    I totally agree , personally for me you have more control in any game with mouse and keyboard ( ok maybe not with games like tekken or racing games ) and they allso proofed that keyboard and mouse is better then the controller with the multi platform testing some years ago where pc gamers kicked xbox/ ps users asses .
    And even now the day they are calling the ps4/ xbox1 next gen when pc is like "next gen" for allready 4 years ...

But the real question for me is , do microsoft / sony make more money by making these games eclusive for their console? Because i would think that more people would say fuck it i'm not buying that console just to play that game , then oh yeah that game is only coming out for that console lets go buy it!
    Personally i think they wouls make more money by making these games availble for everything , but i might be completly wrong ...

I just hope they won't keep going this way in the future.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why do I feel like time is flowing backwards? Ahh, I know it's because people are behaving like console exclusives are new. Console exclusives have been around about as long as their have been home consoles. Rather then there being more exclusives there are less. If you go back and look at the old consoles you will see plenty of games that were only on one console. Where was my Sonic game on the SNES or my Final Fantasy game on Genesis? Getting exclusive titles has always been a goal in order to sell more consoles.

Quote Originally Posted by IzoGray View Post
    Pikmin and Pushmo were good efforts from Nintendo revitalize franchises and create a new one. Pokemon is one of their most milked franchises.

I like a lot of stuff but I'm not going to sit here and swear up and down that one company's quality will always and forever be above anyone else's. That's just blind fanboyism.

Either way though, I don't want to argue about any of that. The point of the thread is about exclusivity which is not only healthy for the industry, but needed. Look at Project Morpheus and Occulus Rift. Both are going to be in direct competition with each other and because of that we will all get better products because of it.
    I 100% agree that exclusive are needed, just to clarify that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    I 100% agree that exclusive are needed, just to clarify that.
    More people should look at the quality of games drop off sega has had from going 3rd party to now if they really want Nintendo and Sony not making exclusives anymore.

The herp derr PC master race chest thumpers may think they want a world with no console exclusives, until it happens and the overall quality of games in the industry hits the tanker a decade later.

Without Zelda there is no Dark Souls or Witcher.

Without Resident Evil 4(which ironically finally got a pc port recently) you can kiss every 3rd person shooter of the previous generation away.

Without Mario you can kiss an entire genre of games goodbye.

Without Uncharted you can kiss any cinematic settings in games goodbye.

Should I go on?

Multi platform games rarely if ever take chances, exclusives may not much either but they do it far more then multi plats and the results have been great.

Most genres and sub genres are created/innovated on by console exclusives. Without them you would be stuck in a world of FPS, RPGs with boring combat, mobas and strategy games wooo!
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-06-08 at 03:10 AM.

It is the decision of a developer as to what platforms they develop for.
    Sometimes they may have a monetary incentive, sometimes it is because of some design of the console.
    It could be the controller, hardware capability or even a personal bias.

The only exclusivity issue is when retailer or platform exclusive features or content.
    Exclusivity with a single platform isn't an issue.

It has been that way for years, and for numerous titles.
    Even a title which only gets developed for a single-platform due to lack of other plans is exclusive.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobislost View Post
    All this complaining because you want to play halo5? Did you not play 343s attempt at halo? Pretty campaign but that MP sucked so bad very glad my collectors edition didn't cost me any extra money
    Well, your opinion seems to be an outlier, considering the majority of every single gaming outlet and reviewer called it a borderline masterpiece.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by IzoGray View Post
    Just wow. I didn't say they're the "saving grace of gaming" only that exclusives build competition and innovation. To deny that is just being stupid.

Exclusive games take advantage of the hardware to the maximum because they only have to use that hardware to get the most they can graphically. Look at The Last of Us, Halo 4, Uncharted. Those games would not have looked nearly as great if they were multiplatform games. Do you know anything about development?

In what way was any of my post hyperbole? Is that just another way of you saying you don't have an argument?

Exclusive systems and games are great for consumers. You don't know what you're talking about. It's because of that competition and innovation that companies must deal with that we have a $400 next gen system and not a $300 last gen system (Nintendo.)
    Im pretty sure the last of us would look 10x better in a pc, its my favorite game of the last 10 years but it's far from innovative and I've played far better looking games on my pc 3 years ago. Exclusives are only good for the console sellers, not thre consumer. The irony of saying exclusives help innovate in a thread about Nintendo releasing the same old games on another system.

I love exclusives.

First of all, there are so many good games to play, I could never play them all. Therefor one needs to make choices, a game PC or what console or handheld. You can ofcourse buy everything, but you will never fully play them all.

Exclusives are often games that are much better then the 3rd party gamemachine. It is logical, you need exclusives to lure people into buying your console. Remove that, and these games wouldnt even excist. Millions of dollars are trown at the best game studios just to create a masterpiece that shows of their product. That money would never been spend if it wouldnt be a exclusive.

But now you say, there are also lots of good 3rd party games. True, but thats also largely because the bar is set high by Sony or Microsoft or whatever. Big companies like EA, Ubisoft or Blizzard-Activision spend a lot of money on games, because they know its the only way to interest gamers these days. It has to be as spectacular like the 1st party games. Ofcourse, if all games would be '3rd party', companies would still try to be better then the other, but I believe it would be much less then in games today. Gamebudgets would be lower and more games would look a like.

Game exclusivity is what is keeping the industry growing and getting better, remove that, and it would set the industry back 10 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    The bar is not set high by Sony or Microsoft the bar is set high by everyone, what a load of idealistic drivel.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The bar is not set high by Sony or Microsoft the bar is set high by everyone, what a load of idealistic drivel.
    Urgh, bullcrap. You want to say that games like Super Mario World, Halo, Gran Turismo, The Ocarina of Time etc etc havent brought gaming to a higher level? They know you need to create good games in order to sell consoles. A third party only cares about selling games, which is logical, but therefor have often lower budgets, less developing time and therefor are often concidered not the most creative or best games. We see what happened to Sonic when it went 3rd party, pure horsepoo, but they still sold decently. Same would happen if the Major Nintendo, Sony and MS games would become nonexclusive. There would be no reason to develop a game for 3-4 years with a team of 250+ people, but they will poop out a game every year with 50 persons, and cash on the name it has. There would be no reputation to keep high to justify the console investment.

Without console exclusives, the industry would fall into a soviet console on which we can play one million games we also see in the iOS store or Google Play. Lots and lots of crap.

But again, if you have a game PC, played all its best games and still have spare time left, you have either found a way to timetravel or you are a scizofranic multiboxer. Life is choices, no choices = trown back into a bland communist world. Nobody wants that.. If we could play all games on every console, they eventually would mostly all suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nohara View Post
    Urgh, bullcrap. You want to say that games like Super Mario World, Halo, Gran Turismo, The Ocarina of Time etc etc havent brought gaming to a higher level? They know you need to create good games in order to sell consoles. A third party only cares about selling games, which is logical, but therefor have often lower budgets, less developing time and therefor are often concidered not the most creative or best games. We see what happened to Sonic when it went 3rd party, pure horsepoo, but they still sold decently. Same would happen if the Major Nintendo, Sony and MS games would become nonexclusive. There would be no reason to develop a game for 3-4 years with a team of 250+ people, but they will poop out a game every year with 50 persons, and cash on the name it has. There would be no reputation to keep high to justify the console investment.

Without console exclusives, the industry would fall into a soviet console on which we can play one million games we also see in the iOS store or Google Play. Lots and lots of crap.

But again, if you have a game PC, played all its best games and still have spare time left, you have either found a way to timetravel or you are a scizofranic multiboxer. Life is choices, no choices = trown back into a bland communist world. Nobody wants that.. If we could play all games on every console, they eventually would mostly all suck.
    Thats before the exclusives became overglorified tech demos.

10+ Year Old Account
    Super Mario World, Halo, Gran Turismo, The Ocarina of Time
    Are we back in the 90s?

Pretty much everything you said is pure hyperbole and unsubstantiated conjecture. The time we had the most consoles, the most choice also coincided with the worst quality gaming and the gaming crash. (Not saying we shouldnt have choice, the triumvirate in console gaming we have now works well) I'm also not saying that exclusives have not been important, FF7 is one that jumps out at me, even though it was ported to pc eventually, that revoluitionised JRPGs and was the foundation for decades of later releases (lots being shit unfortuntanely), but games like Skyrim, Minecraft, Grand Theft Auto etc do not owe these games anything, they exist by their own right, it has nothing to do with what exclusives are doing, developers have always been pushing the bar.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Most genres and sub genres are created/innovated on by console exclusives. Without them you would be stuck in a world of FPS, RPGs with boring combat, mobas and strategy games wooo!
    Well, survival horror too, seeing as Alone in the dark was the first, so without that no Resident Evil, no resident evil 4 yadayada, we can all go back and look at games that have changed gaming, its not all revolving around console exclusives. Without Kings quest we probably wouldnt have adventure games, without tomb raider (mulitplat) we wouldnt have uncharted, without Minecraft we wouldnt have the slew of copies, I'm sure I could find many more.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2014-06-08 at 04:27 PM.

I don't have a problem with console exclusives. Sure, it would be convenient if my wii u could play any game released for x box or ps, but it just doesn't bother me at all that companies like Nintendo would develop games exclusively for their system. Competition between the three consoles is a good thing and I believe that includes exclusive games.

Im pretty sure the last of us would look 10x better in a pc, its my favorite game of the last 10 years but it's far from innovative and I've played far better looking games on my pc 3 years ago. Exclusives are only good for the console sellers, not thre consumer. The irony of saying exclusives help innovate in a thread about Nintendo releasing the same old games on another system.
    Actually no it wouldn't. The Last of Us has an art style and grittyness that was hand made for the ps3 and added atmosphere to the game. The trailer for the remastered version on the ps4 already looks more vibrant and worse for what the game was trying to portray.

When you only have one set of hardware to concentrate on making a game for, that means more time gos into the art style, story, gameplay and overall polish of the game. That is a fact. No, The Last of Us isn't herp derr pc master race running at 4k 60 fps but graphics are more then just numbers. You would know this if you had an eye to actually appreciate art.

In ways, Heavy Rain, Beyond Two Souls, Uncharted 2 and 3, The Last of Us, God of War 3 and God of War Ascension are all graphically superior to any pc game I have ever played. It's not through resolution or frame rate, it's through art style, atmosphere and image quality.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2014-06-08 at 06:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't be graphically superior though, aesthetically superior in the way wow is aesthetically superior to ESO (imo ofc, aesthetics are generally subjective)), yet ESO has far greater graphical fidelity. I personally don't believe for a second that the last of us graphics couldn't be replicated on a PC, but then, I'm clearly not an art connoisseur like yourself. The last of us is a piece of genius, like beyond 2 souls, but I don't buy the whole its only because of ps3, sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always ask myself why consoles are even a thing anymore, considering PC is dramatically more powerful and not to mention cheap as hell these days to build. Then I think.. Oh yeah, exclusives. That thing where developers intentionally make less money because we want people who play THIS console to feel special LOL.

Can't be graphically superior though, aesthetically superior in the way wow is aesthetically superior to ESO (imo ofc, aesthetics are generally subjective)), yet ESO has far greater graphical fidelity. I personally don't believe for a second that the last of us graphics couldn't be replicated on a PC, but then, I'm clearly not an art connoisseur like yourself. The last of us is a piece of genius, like beyond 2 souls, but I don't buy the whole its only because of ps3, sorry.
    The point flew way over your head I guess?

It's not BECAUSE of the ps3.

It's BECAUSE they only had to concentrate on a single version of the game and perfected the look for that version instead of needing to make sure it was going to run on 5 different platforms. If you think Watch Dogs maxed out on PC is graphically superior to this:

Well, hey we're all entitled to opinions but you're wrong.

I worked with the guy from Sony who came up with this idea.

Could give you his name and contact details but I don't think anything fruitful will come from this.

I hate exclusive DLC,s depending on where you bought your game from even more!