Page 21 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by OmniSkribe View Post
    Poor Will Wright, it must be hard to see how your legacy perish so worthlessly. Looks like Maxis is dyng just like Lionhead did without Peter.
    Meh, it's more EA...

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... so far it's "meh".

Having sims just disappear for work each day is dull, who would have thought staring at a clock count down to when they get home would be fun? Lack of story mode is very telling, sims do not just sown up to visit and since you can't make friends at work your sims don't know anyone for awhile.

The clipping etc that people saw in earlier versions seems to be better, but there's very little "game" there so far.

Edit : Found "socialize with co-workers" etc... it's just well hidden.
    Last edited by Kujako; 2014-09-02 at 03:32 PM.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm enjoying it so far, I've found the emotions system works surprisingly well (for me at any rate) and I enjoy how intuitive it feels. I've only played for about 2 hours or so, but I've found myself interacting with the world more often just because of how nice the interactions feel between people. I like the way I can view everyone's emotional status and play off of that. In previous games it was fairly "meh" if you knew that the person was "happy" or not. Now I can tailor what I'm doing to the people around me a bit easier.

I'll have to give it more time before I critique it too harshly.

One thing I DO hate is that sometimes I'll find the time passes as fast as sleep mode when I'm at work, while at other times I'm left watching the time tick away at only rank 3 speed. I wish that was a bit more consistent. Now that I'm married it's not an issue as I just play around with the wife while my guy goes to work.
    “The rains have ceased, and we have been graced with another beautiful day. But you are not here to see it.”

You know, I had totally dismissed Sims 4. But I've watched some of the lets plays (not the ones that seem to be a collection of paid players) and I have to say, it doesn't look as bad as I had thought. It sure runs smoother. It does have some downsides, but I didn't hate the no open world nearly as much as I thought I would. The neighborhood is a good compromise. You can still wander a bit but it cuts off the other locations so it isn't always having to update what's going on there. Usually I'd just be taking a taxi or driving to other parts of town anyways. So not a big deal to me. Swimming pools being gone sucks, but it's not a deal breaker.

I absolutely hated Sim City not 5, I thought it didn't live up to the series title and even alone was just a simplistic crap game that didn't have much to do with the feel of designing a city. But this doesn't look bad. I may think about picking it up.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Babies are a bit glitched atm and it's both hilarious and terrifying at the same time!

And some pics here http://imgur.com/a/rfBlS

I keep going back and forth if I should buy it or not. It does look fun a lot of the time but some of my favorite things are gone like story progression and family trees. So I don't know The game isn't released here until the 4th so maybe something will convince me to buy it on thursday or maybe I'll wait longer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjau View Post
    Babies are a bit glitched atm and it's both hilarious and terrifying at the same time!
    Kill it.. kill it with fire!.
    Her hall is called Eljudnir,
    her dish is Hunger,
    her knife is Famine,
    her slave is Lazy,
    and Slothful is her woman servant.

Quote Originally Posted by Elmow View Post
    Meh, it's more EA...
    EA bought Maxis and ate them, just like they do with every other company. Poor Will Wright is right, his vision is completely tarnished by a money grubbing company.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Justice View Post
    EA bought Maxis and ate them, just like they do with every other company. Poor Will Wright is right, his vision is completely tarnished by a money grubbing company.
    That was necessary though. If EA hadn't bought Maxis in the late 1990s, Maxis would have probably gone out of business, and there probably wouldn't be even a Sims 1. But yeah, EA squeezing the turnips hard out of their franchises is sad to see.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Lack of story mode is very telling, sims do not just sown up to visit and since you can't make friends at work your sims don't know anyone for awhile.
    It's pretty easy to start making acquaintances from what I've experienced so far, it just takes being more proactive rather than passively letting it happen. Visiting a park, walking around a neighborhood, or hitting the local hangouts (bar is a good one I've found) and just doing introductions leads to multi-person conversations that can result in meeting several others quickly. I've even seen it happen without my input...had my Sim ordering chips at a bar and they turned to the person next to them and did a friendly introduction without prompting...the big thing is you have to get out around other Sims rather than waiting for them to come to you.

From there it's the usual choose options depending on where you want to attempt to bring the conversation, either at a group level (like responding to an awkward conversation with a joke) or one on one with another Sim.

That said, the lack of certain features is definitely noticeable, which is a negative balanced against the positive improvements seen in the character interaction systems.

10+ Year Old Account
    i got some playing with it last night, it has that same sims feel i remember, i don't really miss the dishwasher or the pools, i didnt like the pools much in the first place heh

in the options there is a prompt that gives the old Legacy" interaction wheel" i believe it makes it that you can do any social interaction as the new one goes by your skills and mood and ect

and under the options under the other section

there is an option for Mods with the disclaimer " Maxis does not pre-screen or support mods. Please use with caution" so there is Mod options for people to use
    Omians- 70 Troll Enhancement shaman, Emerald Dream

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't like it.. =(

It feels so.. Boring. Mastering a skill is really lame, it only goes up to like 5? And then once it's up there, that's it.. Not to mention there is only like 10 or 12 skills.

I get that it's Sims 4, and not Sims 4 & 5th expack.. But really, do I want to wait 4 years for them to push out every little expack before the game feels complete?

I still like TS3 a lot better.. And the building in TS4.. Omg, so lame.. You can do SO MUCH more with just the base game of TS3.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

For someone who have never played Sim.. which do you suggest? Sim 3+ DLC, or Sim 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    I don't like it.. =(

It feels so.. Boring. Mastering a skill is really lame, it only goes up to like 5? And then once it's up there, that's it.. Not to mention there is only like 10 or 12 skills.

I get that it's Sims 4, and not Sims 4 & 5th expack.. But really, do I want to wait 4 years for them to push out every little expack before the game feels complete?

I still like TS3 a lot better.. And the building in TS4.. Omg, so lame.. You can do SO MUCH more with just the base game of TS3.
    Skills go up to 10, not 5.

The crack wait is killing me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my doubts about the game, but I gave it a play and have been playing it ever since. I still am right now as I type this. It's pretty fun, I've gone in with the mindset that Sims 4 is going to feel bare because it's base game and I know I'm used to having mods/expansions etc, so ofcourse I'm going to feel like it's missing things. I'm gonna give it time between the mods and expansions for it to unfold and become more complete with content in future. It always starts off like this in the beginning but it has been enjoyable for me so far and I'm not bored yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Skills go up to 10, not 5.
    I really don't get why people would lie like that about something that's been consistent for all sims games.

On another note, do you get to develop new traits as you play? I'd heard something like that some time ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Well View Post
    I really don't get why people would lie like that about something that's been consistent for all sims games.

On another note, do you get to develop new traits as you play? I'd heard something like that some time ago.
    You gain traits as you complete aspirations. Aspirations are 4 stages of tasks, for example Gym/Bodybuilder aspiration requires you to do "Work out for x amount of hours" and "Own 2 pieces of workout equipment" for Stage 1 of the Aspiration. 2-3 tasks for each Stage, complete all four stages and you unlock a new trait for your Sim, after which you get to select a new Aspiration of your choosing which rewards another trait. Right now I have 13 traits.

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    You gain traits as you complete aspirations. Aspirations are 4 stages of tasks, for example Gym/Bodybuilder aspiration requires you to do "Work out for x amount of hours" and "Own 2 pieces of workout equipment" for Stage 1 of the Aspiration. 2-3 tasks for each Stage, complete all four stages and you unlock a new trait for your Sim, after which you get to select a new Aspiration of your choosing which rewards another trait. Right now I have 13 traits.
    13 traits on one sim? How much did that take and was it without cheats? What trait did you receive for the bodybuilding aspiration and is it as strong as the traits in cas? Or stronger perhaps? Also. say that for instane I start fishing with my sim. Seeing that there's no Angler trait in CAS, can I assume that almost everything regarding skill related traits exists in the aspiration trait gain system? Lastly, do you get to pick what kind of trait you get (as in, does it unlock a slot like in sims 3 with the social groups) or is it set?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the flood of questions. It releases tomorrow for me :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent View Post
    ... skills go to ten, just like before. And if anything there are more skills with more diverse applications.
    The building is in my opinion one of the things they improved the most. Granted, they did remove some options (all buildings on a lot share a common foundation and no basements) but overall it is much improved and allows the creation of much more diverse architecture.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    13 traits on one sim? How much did that take and was it without cheats? What trait did you receive for the bodybuilding aspiration and is it as strong as the traits in cas? Or stronger perhaps?
    Took quicker than usual as I switch between filling needs via the "testingcheats" command and I sometimes live the Sim's life fulfilling needs manually. The trait I received from Bodybuilding was longer lifespan. I'm not sure if that's stronger than cas traits or not, subjective sort of thing.

Also. say that for instane I start fishing with my sim. Seeing that there's no Angler trait in CAS, can I assume that almost everything regarding skill related traits exists in the aspiration trait gain system?
    I'm not entirely sure, but I do know that as you fulfil aspiration, you gain points which are used to purchase "reward traits", so there's Aspiration traits and reward traits. Reward traits are things such as "Happy", "confidence", "slim" and "thick" potions, speed reading, quicker skill up, quicker skill up during morning and night (Early bird and Night owl), Steelbladder, slow hygiene decay etc. Those are some of the reward traits you can use with reward points from fulfilling aspirations.

Lastly, do you get to pick what kind of trait you get (as in, does it unlock a slot like in sims 3 with the social groups) or is it set?
    When completing the 4 stages of the Aspiration you chose? No, the trait given from completion is set. Reward traits however can be bought as you accumulate points overtime by taking part and completing aspiration tasks.

So you've got two different types of traits. Reward point traits (Think lifetime points from Sims 3) and Aspiration traits which are acquired by completing Aspiration tasks and their 4 stages (Bodybuilder is one example of an Aspiration)

Thanks in advance and sorry for the flood of questions. It releases tomorrow for me :P
    I just used a VPN and connected to a South Korean server, as they were the first to receive the game and play it over Origin. Other people just switched their Origin client to Korean or whatever, not sure of the validity of that one though.
    Last edited by NatePsy; 2014-09-03 at 04:34 PM.