Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Let's talk web design

Hello guys so being a student and always being strapped for cash is pretty crap. I like to experiment with making websites in my spare time though and I'm not gonna lie, I'm not great but I'm okay. I can make a website look pretty decent, or atleast imo.

Currently just trying to find a good idea for a website. One I had was make some tech tutorials and have a forum.

I just wanted to ask are there any people here who run a website on their own, not part of a team or group or business that makes money?

My plan is too make the website I said, tech tutorial's or something very similar with a forum feature for users to post, when I eventually got users that is and do something like 5 new tutorials a day.

Hopefully overtime this would grow and I could get advertising and earn some spare cash. Anyone done anything similar, I don't think I am going to be the next Mark Zuckerberg but hopefully earn a few quid lol.

Good, bad idea? Anyone care to share similar ideas/experiences they have with their own websites?

Deleted
    If you're going to do freelance work it'd probably be better building website for other people than designing and building your own. Getting that work will be harder if you don't have a portfolio though,

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Meteoria View Post
    If you're going to do freelance work it'd probably be better building website for other people than designing and building your own. Getting that work will be harder if you don't have a portfolio though,
    That thought crossed my mind but I don't think I am advanced enough at this stage. I know HTML and CSS. I can design the front end of a website but currently learning PHP, slowly but steadily :P.

I suppose I could find client's that only want a website to promote something that doesn't require a back end that could take payments or require a login system etc

Tech tutorials is going to be tough as there are already many sites out there which have very large user bases and show up near or at the top of a search. If I don't see your site within the first three or so search results I'm never going to find it.

Of course, if you had very specialized tutorials (i.e., stuff I can't easily find answers to on SO, CodeProject, etc.), it *could* work, but now you need to get knowledgeable, specialized users to write them. Another difficult task. Not the easiest area to break into.

EDIT: You need to learn javascript and some back end stuff before you even consider creating a non-trivial website. HTML + CSS != programming, and these days they really aren't enough unless you're just writing small, throwaway type stuff.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by johnlongtusk View Post
    That thought crossed my mind but I don't think I am advanced enough at this stage. I know HTML and CSS. I can design the front end of a website but currently learning PHP, slowly but steadily :P.

I suppose I could find client's that only want a website to promote something that doesn't require a back end that could take payments or require a login system etc
    That's fair enough if you don't know scripting. A forum is out of the question until you know how to do that though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Tech tutorials is going to be tough as there are already many sites out there which have very large user bases and show up near or at the top of a search. If I don't see your site within the first three or so search results I'm never going to find it.

Of course, if you had very specialized tutorials (i.e., stuff I can't easily find answers to on SO, CodeProject, etc.), it *could* work, but now you need to get knowledgeable, specialized users to write them. Another difficult task. Not the easiest area to break into.

EDIT: You need to learn javascript and some back end stuff before you even consider creating a non-trivial website. HTML + CSS != programming, and these days they really aren't enough unless you're just writing small, throwaway type stuff.
    Aye I know the idea isn't ground breaking at all. I'm still brainstorming xD I know HTML and CSS is not programming but currently learning PHP which hopefully if I can get my head round that I might stand a chance. Learning PHP will probably take me a very long time though hehe.

Javascript is something I am a little familiar with but not as much as I'd like to be

That's fair enough if you don't know scripting. A forum is out of the question until you know how to do that though.
    I'm not going to make a forum from scratch, just use MYBB or PHPBB etc. I would just integrate my own look so it matches my website and looks a little professional :P

If only there was a guy on these forums who had a website of his own...(This is the part where you scroll down and notice my signature.)

I don't wanna ramble on...because I will...but basically if you want to make money off of a website (and you're not selling something) then you should be the expert of a topic. Usually for websites, if I'm not complete expert of a topic, then I'll collaborate with friends to do something.

Btw. Websites for tutorials...are only part of a greater solution. Usually you'd (I'd) make Apps and/or youtube videos to go with the website.

If you want to know more, ask. I don't want to say too much information that might be useless to you, lol.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    If only there was a guy on these forums who had a website of his own...(This is the part where you scroll down and notice my signature.)

I don't wanna ramble on...because I will...but basically if you want to make money off of a website (and you're not selling something) then you should be the expert of a topic. Usually for websites, if I'm not complete expert of a topic, then I'll collaborate with friends to do something.

Btw. Websites for tutorials...are only part of a greater solution. Usually you'd (I'd) make Apps and/or youtube videos to go with the website.

If you want to know more, ask. I don't want to say too much information that might be useless to you, lol.
    As much as I'd like to make an app, I do not have nearly the programming knowledge required lol. Youtube videos for the tutorials could be nice I guess, I know I'd rather listen/watch than read.

Off Topic: How hard is it to make an app, what languages are used?

Edit: I'd assume any language can be used but what is a popular choice

Deleted
    As much as I'd like to make an app, I do not have nearly the programming knowledge required lol. Youtube videos for the tutorials could be nice I guess, I know I'd rather listen/watch than read.

Edit: I'd assume any language can be used but what is a popular choice
    It depends more on the IDE than the language. Eclipse is an IDE that can be used for Android devices (with the correct plug-in) and that supports a bunch of languages but is done mainly in Java.

If you want to do programming tutorials then youtube is nice and all but you'll be godlike if you had example code and instructions on a website (with some /*Reasons for this line*/ etc.)

My programming master, who taught programming for 20 years (he taught Java 3 months after it came out), has/had a website for his students. It's good information, but a little outdated now since he maintained it 10 years ago. He said he was #1 on google SEO and his website was referenced in a lot of research papers.

So I asked him how I could make a website to get to #1 on google...and he told me this certain thing that's kind of new that I should become the expert in. (Which I won't mention here, but even if I said it I'm sure 95% of MMO-C's Off-Topic users wouldn't know exists.)

But that doesn't solve the "get rich" thing so: apps it is.

It depends more on the IDE than the language. Eclipse is an IDE that can be used for Android devices (with the correct plug-in) and that supports a bunch of languages but is done mainly in Java.
    Meteoria is right, it depends a lot on IDE and what you're using. Android (IDE = Eclipse) uses Java. I believe Apple (which I guess IDE = XCode) uses Objective C. Then you have third party SDK's that can use Java and C#. I've used Lua too. My teacher said C++ too but I don't personally know to use C++.

Apps aren't too hard. Depends on what you want to make and what tool you're using.
    Last edited by Blueobelisk; 2014-06-09 at 01:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Speaking as a developer now...no one designs their own forum any more. They'd use something like vBulletin.

Hey a suggestion to how you could look upon this whole css/html thing. despite what others in here say, there exists front-end developer jobs for people very well versed in html/css.

Usually a company provides you with psd designs that their graphical artists and UX(user experience) team has created. And then your job is to create a pixel-perfect replication of those designs, its a skill many programmers don't have since atleast around here in denmark, their education isn't focused around making things look nice.

So if you want to focus your front-end toolset, be that guy who can convert psds to html css seamlessly, and if you want to take it further. Learn about user experience and design so you can speak constructively with the people that create the designs for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Speaking as a developer now...no one designs their own forum any more. They'd use something like vBulletin.
    Bah, beat me to it....yea most forum based sites sit on a vBulletin stack.

As for OP; unless you have some ungodly seo skills, your best bet would be to build themes for theme forest or find freelance work on something like craigslist/elance/around town.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
    Hey a suggestion to how you could look upon this whole css/html thing. despite what others in here say, there exists front-end developer jobs for people very well versed in html/css.

Usually a company provides you with psd designs that their graphical artists and UX(user experience) team has created. And then your job is to create a pixel-perfect replication of those designs, its a skill many programmers don't have since atleast around here in denmark, their education isn't focused around making things look nice.

So if you want to focus your front-end toolset, be that guy who can convert psds to html css seamlessly, and if you want to take it further. Learn about user experience and design so you can speak constructively with the people that create the designs for you.
    Welcome to late 90's/early 2000's front end.

Front end today deals heavily with js and js frameworks like node/mv*'s; the css/html takes up ~20% of my time.
    Last edited by usiris; 2014-06-09 at 03:27 AM.

Depends on site scale. There is plenty of work for someone who can work in CSS/HTML and knows how to use Photoshop. Throw in a little bit of PHP and you'll be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.w3schools.com

Learn HTML -> CSS -> JavaScript

Video tutorials:

http://m.youtube.com/user/derekbanas
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Deleted
    If you're going to invest your time in building a website and be serious about it, then you should either have a unique idea/premise or make your site the absolute best one out there. You've unfortunately really got neither, right now, I think.

I myself work in web development, and when I come across a problem, I google it. Usually when there's an answer to my problem, it will be on stackoverflow.com which is the first result I'll check. If it's a more complex problem or something that requires a tutorial, I'll go on Youtube and search for one. Even now I don't use any specific site for tutorials and discussion; the aforementioned two methods work fine. Thus, I can't say, for myself at least, that yet another tech tutorial site would be of any use.

If you do go through with it and make a site for tutorials, I would suggest you keep it clean, light (fast to load), and easy to read.

10+ Year Old Account

While you are learning PHP, might be a good idea to look into and learn how to work with database systems such as SQL as well, you will need it for more advanced systems and its good knowledge to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    WordPress, Joomla and Drupal all say hello!

Seriously, people have been churning out massively successful sites without a single ounce of HTML, CSS, PHP, database or javascript knowledge for a long while now. Couple even beginner knowledge in any of the former subjects with something like WordPress, buy a good framework from a place like Elegant Themes and the sky is the limit.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    WordPress, Joomla and Drupal all say hello!

Seriously, people have been churning out massively successful sites without a single ounce of HTML, CSS, PHP, database or javascript knowledge for a long while now. Couple even beginner knowledge in any of the former subjects with something like WordPress, buy a good framework from a place like Elegant Themes and the sky is the limit.
    All the CMS' you listed require a database. You would have to have at least rudimentary knowledge of how to create a database in order to install, for example, Joomla. Granted, if you're using a system such as cPanel, you can create a database without actually having to know much anything about SQL. But, you would have to at least be aware that such a thing as a database does exist and is required, so a "single ounce" of database knowledge is required. Not much more than that single ounce but, yeah.

Elegant Themes and such don't sell "frameworks", as Joomla itself (or any other content management system) would be the framework. They do, however, sell templates and themes, or if I'm not mistaken, rather the support for said templates and themes. Joomla, for example, uses a free license, and what little I know of the law, as far as I know, every single addon to a system which has a free license will use that free license. In other words, it's against the law to sell a template or a component to a free content management system such as Joomla or WordPress. Although, people do this all the time. However, I believe most use the loophole of offering like a year of support, and so on. That support often comes in the form of forums though, so it's a great deal for whoever sells the templates. Shape5 for example has a "club membership" with which they make their money. Being a club member then gives you access to all of their templates.

Shape5 SiteShaper packages are pretty nice, in that they're closest to what you would have when thinking of a system where you don't need code knowledge at all, really. All you need is the database, and then you extract the package on your site, and it installs Joomla and the template, as well as some other addons (components, modules, plugins.) Then you can use the CMS to edit the content of the site, and with a "dumb editor" such as JCE, you can get pretty far that way.

However, if you actually want to do something besides play around with Duplos, you're going to have to know something about HTML and CSS, and then later on JS (or rather jQuery these days), and if you want to swim in the big pool, PHP, and the CMS' own PHP code (as they usually all have some.)

For example, as the OP was talking about using PHPBB3 or similar forum on his site, he would have to know at least a little bit of CSS to customize the look of the forum to fit his site's look, although there are plenty of great themes for PHPBB3 available. But, yeah... Starting to run a website without a single ounce of HTML/CSS knowledge is a bit like starting off your own trucking company alone, when all you know is how to drive a truck, and have no mechanical ability whatsoever. It's just not feasible in the long run.

Then again, that's why people like myself have a job. Our customers are all pretty much completely useless as far as any code goes, and they manage to mess up their sites fairly frequently, and so I get to fix their shit, and design new stuff they themselves couldn't possibly do.

Quote Originally Posted by usiris View Post

Front end today deals heavily with js and js frameworks like node/mv*'s; the css/html takes up ~20% of my time.
    This. Also if you are really looking at doing this, hit IIS and SharePoint. That will add a lot to your portfolio, and make you more attractive to businesses after school.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.