Deleted

Asus Laptop top locked out...

Hey

My nephew got on my laptop when I was out, the wee shit somehow got into the bios and set a system pass so now soon as I turn the laptop on I get the asus logo then a black screen with a blue box in middle asking for a password,, ( I grilled him over it and he said he just pushed all random buttons on keyboard, so no way of remembering it :/ )

I've tried hitting all the normal buttons as soon as i power on,, but none are working, took the laptop apart and removed internal battery to try and reset the bios, left battery out over night, stuck it back in rebuilt laptop but no luck, does same thing even with hard drive out of the laptop,,,

anyone any ideas?

its an Asus K73E laptop
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2014-06-10 at 03:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If pulling the cmos battery didn't help I would call/email asus.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah you're kinda out of luck, you may need to get Asus to fix it, likely nothing you can do yourself unless they have a secret keyboard way to access.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a thinly veiled how do I hack into a stolen laptop thread. If your nephew randomly mashed a load of keys for the password he must have by sheer coincidence mashed exactly the same sequence of keys for the confirmation box as well...

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    Sounds like a thinly veiled how do I hack into a stolen laptop thread. If your nephew randomly mashed a load of keys for the password he must have by sheer coincidence mashed exactly the same sequence of keys for the confirmation box as well...
    I was just thinking this... kinda tough to put in the exact same random characters twice. So either you're right, or the OP's nephew really IS a little shit and is lying about knowing what the password is.

Deleted
    As lockblock said, you have to pull out the mobo battery off the system for 10-15min then back on. That should reset it.

Deleted
    lol its not stolen, bought the damn thing for myself after working my ass off,, knowing the wee shit he entered a curse word and is just saying hes hit random buttons so he doesn't get shouted at for using curse words.. ( plus I've never set a bio password so no idea how many times you have to enter it when setting it up) and of course I cant shout at him as my sister says that's her job lol
    Last edited by mmoc50cda6f559; 2014-06-10 at 07:54 PM.

BIOS passwords in modern laptops are stored in non-volatile media to stop people from unlocking the device by removing the CMOS battery. You will likely need to phone Asus support and get them to reset the password (I hope you still have the proof of purchase).

I did see something on a google search about being able to short-circuit the CMOS memory with a screwdriver and erase its contents that way and thus remove the password, but that will void the warranty and any chance of getting Asus to fix it for free.

Deleted
    kept all recites, gonna give asus a ring, Tanks

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try bribing the little shit for the password... then let his mother deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewdrumpslap View Post
    kept all recites, gonna give asus a ring, Tanks
    What did Asus say out of curiosity?