Poll: Is access to health care a right or privilege?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 56
... LastLast
    Deleted

Acess to health care - right or privilege

Do you believe access to health care is a right or is it a privilege only offered to those who have money for it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Some level of basic care should be a right.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

I don't see how this is a question in a first world country.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeones View Post
    I don't see how this is a question in a first world country.
    Because the majority of the country has been brainwashed pretty well.
    Sig/ava made by the amazing Elyssia! ♥

it's a right, quite obviously. the fact that americans have to pay for it is ridiculous. the fact that anyone would have to pay to stay alive is ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Some level of basic care should be a right.
    I would agree with this. Though what constitutes "basic"?

Depending on who you ask "basic" could mean emergency medical care only or it could mean any medical treatment you can think of on demand for free.

Or you could take the track that the US government took with the Affordable Care Act and say that "basic" healthcare is that everyone has a health insurance policy or is on medicaid. *shrugs*

Me personally I think basic care should be emergency medical services, urgent care services and critical inpatient care (cancer, car accidents, birth of a child, inpatient surgery, etc). Beyond that there should be supplemental insurance to cover specialized, elective services or primary care physician services.

Deleted
    should be a right to basic and life saving treatment, but cosmetic surgery should be a privilege and not tax payer funded.

This is a silly question.

This is a concept - a human creation and moral ideology, not something that's "is" or "isnt"

Don't ask "is it" or "isnt it" a right... Ask "do we MAKE it a right or not"

Edit: imo - we should make it a right in todays world

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    should be a right to basic and life saving treatment, but cosmetic surgery should be a privilege and not tax payer funded.
    For the sole exception of facial reconstruction of people who are disfigured and unrecognizable, this sums up my opinion.

Education > Health care.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Education > Health care.
    That doesn't mean you can't have both.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Absolutely. I have private health care (it's fairly cheap in Australia) but I still believe that there should be an inferior and slower form of health care for the peasantry that is too incompetent to get something better. With private health care, I am way ahead of any lines or queues and can go whenever and wherever I want because I paid the small amount extra. That's how things should be. The successful should get ahead of the plebs but the plebs should still be taken care of.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeverin View Post
    For the sole exception of facial reconstruction of people who are disfigured and unrecognizable, this sums up my opinion.

wehn i say cosmetic i really mean getting your boobs made bigger or your nose made smaller, but its hard to say what i i think should and should not be free without listing out 100s of procedures, i suppose saying cosmetics covers too many things to count that

It seems to me like it's plainly a privilege, but one that should be granted to all participating members of wealthy countries. I'm not sure how something that costs other people's money can be considered a "right". Rights are things that intrinsically belong to you, that the government and other entities have no valid right to take away from you.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Health care as a right doesn't make any logical sense whatsoever. Rights do not demand action, rights demand recognition, respect, and restraint on the part of others.

If you state that person A has a right to health, this right cannot place an obligation on person B to act in any way other than to not act, that is, to recognize A’s right, to respect A’s right and to restrain from causing A to become unhealthy.

Health care as a right according to this poll is entitlement to health care which is entirely different. Entitlement involves using some less than moral ideals to fund it.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Exactly which definition of "right" are we working with, here? Natural right? Entitlement right? Liberty right?
    Last edited by Dispraise; 2014-06-09 at 01:09 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    I agree with this. Except in the case of a birth defect. Not a large nose , thin lips or large ears. But ones which are grossly deforming to the patient. Like hair lips.

It should be a human right for medical treatment in the US without the threat of monetary financial ruin hanging over you. We very much need universal medical care. Paid by taxes. A consumption tax would be the fairest way.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    Exactly which definition of "right" are we working with, here? Natural right? Entitlement right? Liberty right?
    They are talking as in everyone 'has a right' to health care, which means anyone can get health care at 'no cost', which means the burden of service is placed on everyone outside of the person demanding their 'right to health care'. So, basically entitlement.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    It seems to me like it's plainly a privilege, but one that should be granted to all participating members of wealthy countries. I'm not sure how something that costs other people's money can be considered a "right". Rights are things that intrinsically belong to you, that the government and other entities have no valid right to take away from you.
    Those doctors OWE us. Or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Really?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's a right, quite obviously. the fact that americans have to pay for it is ridiculous. the fact that anyone would have to pay to stay alive is ridiculous.
    The fact anyone thinks it's a right, and you think it should be free completely confounds me.
    Do you know how much modern hospitals cost to run?

Firefighters, policemen, EMT and many other professions also indirectly save lives, using your argument they should also work for free.

Entitlement attitudes will only ruin us.