Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Serious internet lag someone please help

Ive been having serious issues with disconnects/lag spikes that make games unplayable. I cant play xbox or wow because of this. If anyone is on another computer in my house even checking emails, I lag out.

Ive updated my router to a new one, tried resetting everything and no luck. My isp has blamed it on the wires in my house being split too much and my parents wont pay to have the house rewired (i dont blame them). Is there ANYTHING I can do to fix this?

Deleted
    Doesn't your modem/router have wireless option?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe try that homeplug, my bro uses it at his home and works fine within 2 floors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Doesn't your modem/router have wireless option?

- - - Updated - - -

Or maybe try that homeplug, my bro uses it at his home and works fine within 2 floors.
    Yea my router is wireless but theyre saying because there is so much wire splicing throughout the house that its causing slow internet. Idk if thats complete crap or not since im not so tech savvy in that area.

Is this broadband through the phone line? or through cable?

If it's through the phone line then the router needs to be plugged into the main socket into the house if possible, not into an extension, as it can degrade the performance quite dramatically. The more splits off from the original socket before the router, the worse it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by BRO90X View Post
    Yea my router is wireless but theyre saying because there is so much wire splicing throughout the house that its causing slow internet. Idk if thats complete crap or not since im not so tech savvy in that area.
    DSL or cable?

DSL companies wont step foot in your house to rewire, cable company might but I'm not sure.

I doubt you are "splicing" so much that its affecting your internet connection if you didn't have this problem before.

Its optimum. So thats cable? The tech installed our modem our garage so thats where my router is also so thats hurting signal definitely. So Im guessing thats where the main socket is then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sinyc View Post
    DSL or cable?

DSL companies wont step foot in your house to rewire, cable company might but I'm not sure.

I doubt you are "splicing" so much that its affecting your internet connection if you didn't have this problem before.
    Ive had this issue since day one. Im just getting really sick of it now lol. I had verizon at one point and it would drop internet constantly. Optimum doesnt drop it, it just causes bad lag at times when anyone else is using the internet.

Its optimum. So thats cable? The tech installed our modem our garage so thats where my router is also so thats hurting signal definitely. So Im guessing thats where the main socket is then?
    Any way you can run a network cable to the router from your PC, just temporarily, to see if that fixes the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Koyoti View Post
    Any way you can run a network cable to the router from your PC, just temporarily, to see if that fixes the problem?
    I have a laptop so yes its possible. I should try that. Theres no good place to sit and play in my garage to really test it tho lol.

- - - Updated - - -

If that is the case, what should be done about my wireless?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Call your cable company, tell them you need the modem moved to where it will get proper signal which your install tech did not check. Your cable company is responsible to get proper signal to your modem, beyond that it is up to you. Refuse if they send a contractor that you want an in house tech only. Get them to get proper signal to your modem. If it is further away from your computer then you may also need to buy a wireless extender and place that halfway between the modem/router and your computer.

Source: it's what I do, cable tech for a major cable company.

what speed you paying for? if you paying for the low end then ya if more then you is on it then your going to lag.if you do have alot of splicing of the lines before it gets to the modem then your going to have a signal drop.if you can i would run a dedicated line that the modem is connected to that should stop the signal drop.only other thing i can think of is what kind of router do you have? i mean the speed of it.

Theres no good place to sit and play in my garage to really test it tho lol.
    No car in there you can sit in?

Anyhow if it fixes the problem you should maybe look for something along the lines of a Netgear WN3000RP (sorry can't post links yet). It fixed all the problems with wireless dead spots and bad connections that I had in our 4 storey house.

Quote Originally Posted by Celawien View Post
    Call your cable company, tell them you need the modem moved to where it will get proper signal which your install tech did not check. Your cable company is responsible to get proper signal to your modem, beyond that it is up to you. Refuse if they send a contractor that you want an in house tech only. Get them to get proper signal to your modem. If it is further away from your computer then you may also need to buy a wireless extender and place that halfway between the modem/router and your computer.

Source: it's what I do, cable tech for a major cable company.
    My modem isnt wireless. My modem is plugged into some wires that are sticking out of my garage ceiling.

I may try the wireless extender but i mean my garage it right under my room where my xbox is and its impossible to play online games or stream anything without interruption so idk if signal is a problem... I guess I have to test more. Is there maybe something I can try on my wireless router setting wise that would help?

- - - Updated - - -

No car in there you can sit in?

Anyhow if it fixes the problem you should maybe look for something along the lines of a Netgear WN3000RP (sorry can't post links yet). It fixed all the problems with wireless dead spots and bad connections that I had in our 4 storey house.
    I have a NETGEAR wnr2000v3 currently

And I actually have my dads 1962 Triumph TR3 sitting in the garage thats I could haha.

Last edited by BRO90X; 2014-06-13 at 07:23 PM.

And I actually have my dads 1962 Triumph TR3 sitting in the garage thats I could haha.
    I'm extremely jealous.

I have a 1973 TR6 in mid restoration atm, but it will be a year or two before it's back on the road. Just been made redundant and the cash is a bit tight, so it will just have to wait

is that wired or wireless?and ya my speed use to be that and i had lag as well,its why i upgraded for the extra 5 dollars.

I'm extremely jealous.

I have a 1973 TR6 in mid restoration atm, but it will be a year or two before it's back on the road. Just been made redundant and the cash is a bit tight, so it will just have to wait
    We just got ours running again. Its in such good condition Im amazed. Body is almost 100% the chrome on the bumpers is starting to tarnish abit tho which is sad

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sydneyf View Post
    is that wired or wireless?and ya my speed use to be that and i had lag as well,its why i upgraded for the extra 5 dollars.
    That is wireless. And its working as it should right now as no one else is home

OP: Do the other computers in your house use file sharing applications? Torrents? Etc? If so, they could simply be sucking up all the bandwidth whenever they're in use.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    OP: Do the other computers in your house use file sharing applications? Torrents? Etc? If so, they could simply be sucking up all the bandwidth whenever they're in use.
    Negative. None of the above. My parents use it for emails and moderate browsing.

I have a tech coming out tomorrow. What questions should I be asking him so I dont sound clueless and have them give me the run around again.

well if its working now as it should then change the password on the router before any one knows so your the only one able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by sydneyf View Post
    well if its working now as it should then change the password on the router before any one knows so your the only one able to use it.
    Then Ill get the "Im paying for it, not you" speech lol. But as my speed tests show, that seems to be very slow...

I assume you have done a traceroute ?
    I used PingPlotter Free to do it frequently over a period of time.
    Could maybe highlight if the issue is entirely local or not.

The results from that would be a good thing to hand to the tech.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.