Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Secondary stat bonus, good or bad?

After looking at this, and this I can't help but feel they really are dumbing down the game to unnecessary levels. If you look at the old state of WoW for a tank, not only did you have to reach defence cap but also hit cap whilst still trying to maintain other stats. Now this 5% thing is just going to make people look even more cookie cutter.

Dude, it's just a small buff to some important stats. A little advice for newbies. There is nothing bad in this.

On the other hand I agree that the game nowadays is MUCH more simple than before. In every aspect, except maybe pve boss mechanics.

It's nice for a spec like Fury warrior or Fire Mage which can be crippled by a stat like Crit. Not enough of it and you can't do your rotation properly or effectively, or at all in the case of the Fury warrior.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    After looking at this, and this I can't help but feel they really are dumbing down the game to unnecessary levels. If you look at the old state of WoW for a tank, not only did you have to reach defence cap but also hit cap whilst still trying to maintain other stats. Now this 5% thing is just going to make people look even more cookie cutter.
    ...so, just to check: you are upset because the static challenge of using an addon, or a website, to tell you how to stack stats is being discouraged in favour of the dynamic challenge of your skill priorities, decisions during the game, and effective use of your cooldowns as a tank?

Also, because they have decided that they no longer want pvp coin farming in an alt gearing zone, rather than a "world pvp because your mains are there" zone?

Because neither of those seem to reflect very well on your desire for actual *skill* in the game, as opposed to "don't be terrible" chores that are done for you, or easy kills without any significant challenge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toralin View Post
    Reaching caps was boring, not intelligent. It wasn't "intelligent" to forgo all dps increasing stats just to reach a mandatory "do this or you're fucked" requirement. How could you possibly argue that mandatory stat requirements that become useless after the cap is either good gameplay or intelligent?

"Dumbing down the game" is such a disgustingly cliché word that normally comes from people who are "dumbing down the english language" with their ill thought out commentary.

Thunder-/Warforged was the worst (most annoying) thing to happen to itemization. Random bonuses like this is just going to make it worse.

1) Correct item needs to drop --> 2) needs to be WF --> 3) needs to have the perfect combo of bonus stats --> 4) you need to win the item.

This was fine without step 2 and 3. With step 2 added (the lootsystem we have now and in ToT), is already extemely annoying. If you add step 3, getting your BiS is going to be pretty much impossible.
    They're (short for They are) describes a group of people. "They're/They are a nice bunch of guys." Their indicates that something belongs/is related to a group of people. "Their car was all out of fuel." There refers to a location. "Let's set up camp over there." There is also no such thing as "could/should OF". The correct way is: Could/should'VE, or could/should HAVE.
    Holyfury armory

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ThrashMetalFtw View Post
    If you add step 3, getting your BiS is going to be pretty much impossible.
    Which is the general idea I think, Blizzard doesn't want us to be able reach a point where we can't improve our gear any more.

Thunder-/Warforged was the worst (most annoying) thing to happen to itemization. Random bonuses like this is just going to make it worse.

1) Correct item needs to drop --> 2) needs to be WF --> 3) needs to have the perfect combo of bonus stats --> 4) you need to win the item.

This was fine without step 2 and 3. With step 2 added (the lootsystem we have now and in ToT), is already extemely annoying. If you add step 3, getting your BiS is going to be pretty much impossible.
    That's the whole point. You should have 1, maybe 2 BiS items and the end of the tier at most.

Who ever said that you're supposed to get the absolute BiS item in every slot? Also, way to completely ignore what the OP made this thread for. He's talking about the static 5% "atonement" secondary stat bonus, not tertiary stats.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

I dislike the 5% bonus because it's so inconsequential it may as well not exist. For example, to actually get a 1% bonus to the stat's rating you need the equivalent of 20% rating, which to my understanding isn't happening until the final tier, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    I dislike the 5% bonus because it's so inconsequential it may as well not exist. For example, to actually get a 1% bonus to the stat's rating you need the equivalent of 20% rating, which to my understanding isn't happening until the final tier, if at all.
    And yet raiding guilds usually require 300 stat food over 250 food. What you deem "inconsequential" is actually a very large stat increase to most people.

Though it is going to be hilarious when that attuned stat is actually not the best stat for the spec, and newbies are gearing wrong because blizzard told them to gear wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    Though it is going to be hilarious when that attuned stat is actually not the best stat for the spec, and newbies are gearing wrong because blizzard told them to gear wrong.
    While for the rest of us it doesn't really matter anyway since it will just be a multiplier that is hidden somewhere in the calculations SimC does to produce our stat weights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraineth View Post
    The same noobies geared wrong because nobody told them how to gear before this change. Now if they've geared wrong in WoD they're at least 5% less noobish.

I'm a bit disappointed ret got a mastery bonus since haste ret is more fun. Hopefully haste will continue to be the best stat for ret despite the bonus being for mastery.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed ret got a mastery bonus since haste ret is more fun. Hopefully haste will continue to be the best stat for ret despite the bonus being for mastery.
    Well, remember that a 5 percent bonus works two ways: one, you stack X, and get 1.05X value from it. Two, you stack X/1.05, and use those extra points you freed up to stack Y, which you enjoy more. eg: everything that boosts one stat also means you can get away with less of it to achieve the same result.

Once you factor in diminishing returns (eg: 5 percent more crit at 10 percent is worth more than at 70 percent, because the DPS gain of the later is lower than the former despite being the same absolute change), this can actually make it smarter to gear non-boosted stats.

Well, remember that a 5 percent bonus works two ways: one, you stack X, and get 1.05X value from it. Two, you stack X/1.05, and use those extra points you freed up to stack Y, which you enjoy more. eg: everything that boosts one stat also means you can get away with less of it to achieve the same result.
    Which only matters if the stat has a hard or soft cap. Ret's mastery has neither.

Once you factor in diminishing returns (eg: 5 percent more crit at 10 percent is worth more than at 70 percent, because the DPS gain of the later is lower than the former despite being the same absolute change), this can actually make it smarter to gear non-boosted stats.
    Ret's mastery is bonus damage. 5% extra damage is 5% extra damage regardless of how much mastery you have.

Deleted
    Which only matters if the stat has a hard or soft cap. Ret's mastery has neither.

Ret's mastery is bonus damage. 5% extra damage is 5% extra damage regardless of how much mastery you have.
    ...you're not gaining 5% extra damage. One of your secondaries is getting a 5% bonus from gear. Unless that secondary accounts for 100% of your damage that does not automatically translate to 5% extra damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewor View Post
    ...you're not gaining 5% extra damage. One of your secondaries is getting a 5% bonus from gear. Unless that secondary accounts for 100% of your damage that does not automatically translate to 5% extra damage.
    I was responding to the quote that I quoted. I quoted it for a reason. Try to keep up.

Deleted
    I was responding to the quote that I quoted. I quoted it for a reason. Try to keep up.
    Oh ok fair enough. Apologies.

You mention this making things more cookie cutter(it isn't) like it's a bad thing while bringing up tanks stacking different stats in order to be effective, which is, by far, the larger "cookie cutter" in this scenario. In BC you either went for D cap or you were useless once you got hit with a nice crushing blow, so guess what every tank did?

Stacked defense.

The 5% buff is just nudging new/bad players in the right direction. They were going to learn it from trade/forums/wherever eventually. May as well get a bonus on top of learning it right from the UI.

Edit: This is good if you have no idea what you're doing, and I fail to see a downside. Bad players who don't take the hint will be slightly less bad since they will get an unavoidable dps/hps/surv. increase.

It's bad...how so? I suppose if you think it's "dumbing" down the game.
    Last edited by regularspecial; 2014-06-16 at 10:15 PM.