RAM upgrade--Windows refuses to start

Hey there,

I seem to be having issues with attempting to upgrade the RAM on my Alienware M17xR2 (Also called M17x10).

It comes default with 4(2x2)GB DDR3 204 pin, from some random Taiwanese company called Nanya. Which you can see in more detail here.

Obviously, 4gb isn't exactly amazing for current gen games, especially on a laptop, so I recently decided I would upgrade to 8.

I purchased an 8(2x4GB) set of Corsair sticks from Amazon. Seen here.

Upon installing the new RAM, the computer seemed to start up and moved through BIOS fine, but then windows failed to start, going directly from the BIOS screen to this:

Naturally I hit the repair option, but it simply went to this screen, and then when the progress bar reached 100% there was a brief black screen before returning me back to the BIOS screen as if the computer had been restarted and then feeding me back into the same above "Windows failed to start" screen with the same two options.

Attempting to hit the second option (start windows normally) puts me briefly to the windows loading screen and then it also just throws me back to the BIOS as if I had restarted. Essentially creating a loop where I no matter what option I choose I cycle back through BIOS and to the windows failed to start screen.

Naturally, I poked around BIOS to see if I could figure out anything, and BIOS seems to recognize the memory fine, it's showing 8192 (4096 in two slots) with no issues. Running the diagnostic tool from the boot menu seems to find no issue (?) It runs through the various other tests, goes through memory, seems to finish memory tests and then restart back to BIOS.

I'm a bit at a loss for why the memory seems to not be working, my old memory is fine, attempting to run a single of the two sticks of new memory gave similar results to running both (Although I did once get a BSOD 0x7E error one time when attempting to run Windows Startup repair with a single stick). Newegg's compatibility part finder (which I checked after the fact to double check that it wasn't me being stupid) also says the part should work fine for my laptop.

The only thing I can think of is that it's an issue with high and low density RAM, based on this response to a question on the Amazon page:

Which seems rather difficult to get any useful information about, and the topic isn't covered in either the compatible RAM section of my laptop's manual, nor does high density/low density seem to be listed in the tech specs for ram on Amazon or Newegg. I did notice that my old RAM sticks have 8 chips front and back (16 total on each stick) Where the new sticks have 4 chips front and back for a total of 8 on each stick.

Any advice or suggestions on other possible reasons for windows not liking the RAM, or advice on how to ensure I get the proper format of RAM if it is an issue of density would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Hitei; 2014-06-14 at 08:40 PM.

Try to boot from a self boot Linux DVD.

If you cannot boot, the RAM is bad.

Well if you already tested both individually, and still had the same problem, they both could just be bad, you can try a memory test to verify.

Did you make sure each of the two were running at the correct speed/timing?

Everything works fine if you put the old ram back in, right?

If nothing works, you should just get a replacement/refund from amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Well if you already tested both individually, and still had the same problem, they both could just be bad, you can try a memory test to verify.

Did you make sure each of the two were running at the correct speed/timing?

Everything works fine if you put the old ram back in, right?

If nothing works, you should just get a replacement/refund from amazon.
    Still having this issue. I sent back the old sticks and got
    G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ

Instead, and still having the exact same issue. They seem to be running at the correct speed, 1333 according to BIOS. But just like the Corsair, windows will not start up, running the start up repair just kicks me back through the BIOS--Super confused, both of these sets of sticks should be compatible and I can't imagine I've gotten two sets of double DoA sticks by chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    Still having this issue. I sent back the old sticks and got
    G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Laptop Memory Model F3-10600CL9D-8GBSQ

Instead, and still having the exact same issue. They seem to be running at the correct speed, 1333 according to BIOS. But just like the Corsair, windows will not start up, running the start up repair just kicks me back through the BIOS--Super confused, both of these sets of sticks should be compatible and I can't imagine I've gotten two sets of double DoA sticks by chance.
    Have you tried the old RAM yet? Does that work fine? Please answer this one.

Have you already tried starting up with each stick individually with this new set?

Can you get into Safe Mode? Keep pressing F8(or whatever you usually press) as soon as you turn on your computer and see if it takes you to that page.

Another thing you can try, though you shouldn't need to, is to set your BIOS to factory default settings.

If you can, you can try and test the new RAM with either Windows, or something else.

Windows: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/test-your...agnostic-tool/
    Memtest: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-te...am-in-windows/

It should be compatible, as the other one should've been, so I don't see the problem there. Getting something DoA again is possible, it's Amazon.

Is there some kind of Alienware support you can call and ask about your laptop?

Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Have you tried the old RAM yet? Does that work fine? Please answer this one.

Have you already tried starting up with each stick individually with this new set?

Can you get into Safe Mode? Keep pressing F8(or whatever you usually press) as soon as you turn on your computer and see if it takes you to that page.

Another thing you can try, though you shouldn't need to, is to set your BIOS to factory default settings.

If you can, you can try and test the new RAM with either Windows, or something else.

Windows: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/test-your...agnostic-tool/
    Memtest: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-te...am-in-windows/

It should be compatible, as the other one should've been, so I don't see the problem there. Getting something DoA again is possible, it's Amazon.

Is there some kind of Alienware support you can call and ask about your laptop?
    Yeah, my old RAM works fine.
    and yes, I've tried with each individual stick. It's pretty much the same, though occasionally it throws me a BSOD when trying to run the startup repair tool on a single stick.

I've memtested the RAM from a thumb drive and for both it hit about 20% and then restarted back to BIOS--in a similar manner to what happens when I attempt to run the windows startup repair.

At this point it seems like the only, or at least most likely candidate is that the laptop is unable to run High Density RAM.
    I'll attempt safe mode from BIOS and asking Alienware directly later today, too annoyed to take apart my laptop again at the moment.

I do appreciate the help.

At this point it seems like the only, or at least most likely candidate is that the laptop is unable to run High Density RAM.
    I'll attempt safe mode from BIOS and asking Alienware directly later today, too annoyed to take apart my laptop again at the moment.

I do appreciate the help.
    Yeah, I've never dealt with that issue, but if nothing else works, that's the only thing that'd make sense at this point. Either way, hopefully whoever is on the phone will know for sure.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    are there any BIOS updates for your laptops motherboard?

Deleted
    I would say that it indeed seems to a case of your lappys mobo not liking the high density ram. You can try a BIOS update it Might work.
    Latest BIOS can be found here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...&categoryId=BI

Deleted
    Some mainboards have problems with single sided RAM in sizes around 4GB. BSOD should read "BAD_POOL" or something like that.
    If a BIOS Update won't fix it, you should get some double sided RAM. (single and double sided means how many sides the chips are on)
    -----------------------------------------
    Nevermind, just read the thread again...
    But seems like the RAM isn't compatible to your laptop. Just seen most RAM shown as "supported" by the manufactorers have 1066/1067MHz.
    That could also be the problem.
    Last edited by mmocdc1cbe3236; 2014-06-14 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Widjuga View Post
    Some mainboards have problems with single sided RAM in sizes around 4GB. BSOD should read "BAD_POOL" or something like that.
    If a BIOS Update won't fix it, you should get some double sided RAM. (single and double sided means how many sides the chips are on)
    -----------------------------------------
    Nevermind, just read the thread again...
    But seems like the RAM isn't compatible to your laptop. Just seen most RAM shown as "supported" by the manufactorers have 1066/1067MHz.
    That could also be the problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruelo View Post
    I would say that it indeed seems to a case of your lappys mobo not liking the high density ram. You can try a BIOS update it Might work.
    Latest BIOS can be found here http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...&categoryId=BI
    Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    are there any BIOS updates for your laptops motherboard?
    BIOS is up to date.
    I suppose it could be speed, but 1333 is actually listed inside my computer next to the RAM slots so it should be fine.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I suppose it could be speed, but 1333 is actually listed inside my computer next to the RAM slots so it should be fine.
    Evidently not, otherwise you wouldn't be having these issues I'd go for RAM that is the same speed, everything, just double the RAM.

Two things come to mind. 1: Bad ram. 2: Damaged Ram slot. My pc was having virtual memory leak crashes a few years back... The BSOD always said something about virtual memory leak... so I figured the ram went bad. After getting some better sticks than what came stock, the BSOD's kept happening... I tested both sticks by themselves... and boom... no leak... So my original Ram was fine, but the slot was having issues. I hope it isn't the slot for you, and hope its just something silly, especially since its a lappy. Anyways, best of luck