Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    They've openly expressed that it'd be nice if I convert, but they don't want to be "those Christians" and force it on me.
    Well that's nice to hear. I usually see the opposite though.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    I said its simple, and it is. Unless you can't accept diversity. You seem to be trying very hard not to get the point, and angry just in general.
    I tend to snark when people offer useless tidbits. Oh, just understand that other people think different things? Well shit, I wish someone had said that before! If only I had known that not everyone thinks the exact same things I do, I never would have had to discuss this matter. Truly, Stonecloak has solved the grave issue of religious prejudice in our time!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Right... How exactly do people who choose to answer polls represent people who don't?
    Because "willingness to answer poll questions" is probably uncorrelated to "what do you think of atheists, etc.?", it can be presumed that the people who do answer the polls have the same proportion of opinions as the refusers.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

We atheists are really discriminated against by the lesser, inferior, non-euphoric plebs of society. Lord Sagan wouldn't stand for this persecution if we here alive. Hail Sagan!

A tip of the fedora to my atheist brothers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Because "willingness to answer poll questions" is probably uncorrelated to "what do you think of atheists, etc.?", it can be presumed that the people who do answer the polls have the same proportion of opinions as the refusers.
    Assumptions such as that are exactly the reason why polls are inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I tend to snark when people offer useless tidbits. Oh, just understand that other people think different things? Well shit, I wish someone had said that before! If only I had known that not everyone thinks the exact same things I do, I never would have had to discuss this matter. Truly, Stonecloak has solved the grave issue of religious prejudice in our time!
    And your accusing me of dunning-Kruger lol. This is very interesting because everything you accuse me of I haven't even done, and your blaming me for what your doing. Odd to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you have a list of the potential problems with polls.

#1 doesn't apply here, the sample size of plenty big (typical "decent" size is about 1000, which results in an error of ±3% or so)
    #2 doesn't appear to be the case with this poll
    #3 is possible, but this is a fairly simple question.
    #4 possible, but probably not applicable to this poll.
    The remainder aren't relevant, as this poll isn't being used to determine political policy.
    Last edited by Masark; 2014-06-17 at 04:04 AM.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind

Quote Originally Posted by ujx View Post
    We atheists are really discriminated against by the lesser, inferior, non-euphoric plebs of society. Lord Sagan wouldn't stand for this persecution if we here alive. Hail Sagan!

A tip of the fedora to my atheist brothers.
    Is there actually a a ideology around atheists? Obviously they don't believe in god, but I wasn't sure if that was the extent.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2014-06-17 at 04:04 AM.

Frankly most atheists wouldn't enjoy dating an actual religious person either. So the study is kind of pointing out the obvious. I would like to see the results of such a poll in other countries though.

Personally, I can't be picky, I live in a place where people still vote for the prevalent parties because they have a C(hristian) in their name, so most come out of families with at least a shallow religious background. Generally I have a hard time dating religious people, but it depends on the level of religious zealotry. Most so called christians here hardly interact with the church though, besides baptism, communion and confirmation and the first time they attempt a wedding (second one won't happen obviously ). So I can tolerate those, even in a close realtionship, because often enough it's just a general believe in a deity, rather then the specific one of the religion they are part of. If people want to have that kind of view on the world and adjust it accordingly once presented facts and generally keep an open mind about the world and it's inner workings, fine by me; I'm not the thought-police and as long as they value humanitarian ethics and scientific facts, I just can't care.

Hardcore religious people though, that organize every day of their life to fit the arbitrary standards written by some romans who listened to the hearsay of desert folk 2+ millienia ago and cesored by their religious leaders? Yeah, no deal there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Assumptions such as that are exactly the reason why polls are inaccurate.

"All models are wrong. Some are useful."

All polling is wrong, the question is how wrong. And the usual answer is "not very", meaning they're generally accurate enough to be useful for some purposes.

unsurprising. my parents are both devout catholics, while my father is very aware and ok with my stance on religion, my mother still tells me I'm just a deist. which, is funny how she could know more about me then I do.

why as to the exact reason atheist are so looked down upon in this country still eludes me. but I think it's that horrible argument that if I don't have some sky god to tell me whats right from wrong that I'm somehow naturally included to be a bad person. could be other reasons but that one seems to be the key reason. sorry to break it to religious folks out there but you don't have a monopoly on morality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    Is there actually a a ideology around atheists? Obviously they don't believe in god, but I wants sure if that was the extent.
    Negative.

An Atheist is just someone who doesnt believe in any current god argument/higher power type thing.

There are a lot of new things popping up like Atheism plus that deal with social issues/science.(<--not a fan though)
    Last edited by usiris; 2014-06-17 at 04:09 AM.

I might be a minority, but I'm an atheist, and I would prefer to marry a believer, at least a certain kind. Not because I agree with them, but because I wish I could believe. However, any person that makes religious beliefs or lack thereof a central part of their lives and discussions is not someone I'd care to spend a lot of time with. Atheism goes one of two ways, either cooly rational and boring, or emotional, dictatorial, and rude. At least that's been my experience. As far as whom my siblings marry? I couldn't care less.
    Last edited by dusselldorf; 2014-06-17 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dusselldorf View Post
    I wish I could believe.
    Why do you feel that way?

Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    Most people would say even the possibility of a brighter future after death is better than ceasing to exist. They find a sense of place in it amongst an otherwise completely chaotic and "pointless" universe.

I might be a minority, but I'm an atheist, and I would prefer to marry a believer. Not because I agree with them, but because I wish I could believe. Atheism goes one of two ways, either cooly rational and boring, or emotional, dictatorial, and rude. At least that's been my experience. As far as whom my siblings marry? I couldn't care less.
    I'm married to a Christian as she would say, but really I know better she's a mutt when it comes to beliefs. I was brought up in a strict catholic family and decided to break free from it in my young adult hood. We coexist just fine, and compliment each other in ways. She not a zealot and doesn't really even talk about it though which makes it possible. She doesn't even go to church. My family you can not have a conversation without them talking about god.

Quote Originally Posted by redsunrising15 View Post
    Most people would say even the possibility of a brighter future after death is better than ceasing to exist. They find a sense of place in it amongst an otherwise completely chaotic and "pointless" universe.
    Living forever sounds like torture.

Quote Originally Posted by Fexus View Post
    The happiest and most well adjusted people I've known are confidently quiet believers. The type of people for which you have no idea what their beliefs are until you've known them some time.

As long as you don't go banging fists in your chest shouting "I don't believe in your nonsense" you should be fine. Even going to church/temple/synagogue sometimes is fine, it won't cause you to go up in flames, contrary to hearsay. I like singing in a choir, good enough reason for me to be involved with a church (while not believing in Jesus).
    And besides, the locals treat churches in my area as a weekend social club more than anything else. Almost no one can be called an intolerant zealot, as long as unprovoked.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

The happiest and most well adjusted people I've known are confidently quiet believers. The type of people for which you have no idea what their beliefs are until you've known them sometime.
    And I know many like that as well... All atheists. My grandmother was a jehovas witness and she worried about us not being allowed to join her in paradise all the time. When I was born, she told my parents to at least let her ensure that I wouldn't be killed off in the cleansing...

It pains me to this day, knowing how she worried. She was a much happier person before she got sucked into religion, according to her family.
    Last edited by Queen of Hamsters; 2014-06-17 at 04:19 AM.