Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are games that require DX11 completely unplayable by cards that don't support DX11?

Disclaimer: I am bad at computer.

Now, there are 3 big titles that use DX11 and are coming soon- Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition and, I assume, GTA 5.

Obviously, I want to play all of them- but I am packing a fairly ancient Ati Radeon HD 4890.

Now, it's served me faithfully over the years, since I managed to play just about any game ( and modded skyrim, huzzah! ) on max settings.

I don't really want to part from it, as GPUs tend to be expensive.

So, I am asking.. is there any way that I can play any of the above games with it? It only runs DX as high as 10.1

Deleted
    nope , the game will tell you your hardware is not compatible and just not start, happened on my old cerd with watch dogs and tropico 5

Just replacing your GPU won´t work. Your CPU will just bottleneck it. You need to buy/build a whole new computer.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Just replacing your GPU won´t work. Your CPU will just bottleneck it. You need to buy/build a whole new computer.

And you know this how?

he never posted his specs and unless he's running an old P4 you are so wrong.

My computer says Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.79 GHz

Now, I got this a while ago, but it's a quad core so... it should be fine?

Like moremana said - OP never mentioned the other specs and he also just asked if he'd be able to run them at all not how they'd run. Replacing the GPU will allow him to actually run them if they really do require DX11, as long as his OS is DirectX11 capable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    My computer says Intel Core i5 750 @ 2.67 GHz 2.79 GHz

Now, I got this a while ago, but it's a quad core so... it should be fine?
    Still a fairly ok CPU, will work with most modern graphics cards but that too might be worth upgrading sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Still a fairly ok CPU, will work with most modern graphics cards but that too might be worth upgrading sometime in the future.
    Well, damn.

At least I don't have to replace my keyboard.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    It's pretty dated, though. He'd gain at least 30% performance boost by upgrading to anything newer. The CPU would probably work with the games, but I'd say it's worth spending the money on an upgrade to some mid-range CPU of the current generations.
    "You can cut our wings but we will always remember what it was like to fly!"
    #nogg-aholic

15+ Year Old Account
    Then no, you do not have to replace your system.

Any new DX11 nVidia or AMD card will work.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    Well, damn.

At least I don't have to replace my keyboard.

Which keyboard is it? :P
    "You can cut our wings but we will always remember what it was like to fly!"
    #nogg-aholic

If you do decide to get a new graphics card you should make sure you won't need a new power supply as well, if you're using a cheap prebuilt machine then you probably will
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

Deleted
    Hasn't DX11 been out for a few years now (i believe 2009 was the originally release but it was only been pushed in games in 2010/2011). Most graphics card released in the past 3 years should be able to handle it fine. I'm assuming drivers are kept up to date of course.

depends on the game, seems ppl still use dx 9 so for the most part you should be fine for a while, i bought a 6670 last year to replace my 4650, but its getting to the stage where it might be worth buying a whole new rig. I'm just waiting until the prices come down a bit more. especially on ddr3 ram.

you'll probably find all the games you mentioned do actually have a dx9 component.

if your looking for a quick upgrade, although it'll never beat getting a whole new rig with completely updated components, better mobo, cpu, ddr3 ram etc all come together, preferably what you'd want to go for is a 7750 or even a 7770 but you'd need a new psu more than likely. your 4890 is actually faster than the dx11 capable 6670 so going the route i did would probably come at a performance loss.

although i haven't been able to notice the difference between dx10 and 11 in all fairness, dx10 brought the deep texture effect and i believe the same thing has been emulated in dx9. there is very little point in having tessellation when your cpu can't handle AA and AF anyway. in otherwords, if you can't play the games in ultra, you won't be able to tell the difference.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2014-06-19 at 01:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    If you do decide to get a new graphics card you should make sure you won't need a new power supply as well, if you're using a cheap prebuilt machine then you probably will
    If his current computer is able to power a 4890, there is most likely no worries in that department, if it fits physically into the chassis could be a problem though.

We'll with a dated system also comes the element off having to play on low or medium settings. I haft to do this with my PC for any modern games, and you just gotta live with it, or get a hole new PC. Tech stuff moves to fast...
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

He definitely doesn't have to rebuild. I'm running a first gen I5 with a 770 and can play pretty much everything on high. However he does have options:

1) Get a budget card in the $100-200 US range to hold him over until he has the cash to rebuild.

2) Get a good card, and plan to continue using it in a new build at a later time.

I'm running a first gen i7 890 and recently upgraded my old 5770 to a 760 with a 500w PSU. Absolutely no dramas or "bottlenecking" on GPU intensive games and can play the new games I own on high settings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

You'd get better help on the computer section here.

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    And you know this how?

he never posted his specs and unless he's running an old P4 you are so wrong.
    If you have a 4890 as a GPU, there's a pretty high probability of a dated CPU as well. It´s somewhat subjective on to what is considered as an acceptable bottleneck, but even a first generation i7 would be better upgraded since it won't last that much longer. There's also the question of the components just being old, shit breaks.

Pateuvasiliu, if you have the money, you should replace that PC with a new/used(But a newer one that has warranty on some of it's parts) one. Or you could replace the GPU, the games upcoming games should run, but it won't be a "long" lasting solution.
    Last edited by Arlon; 2014-06-19 at 03:25 PM.