Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Any word of viability of crane stance dps?

I know the devs intend to make other roles, such as a prot warrior, have a way to do competitive dps as dps roles. Is there any word that fistweaving would be raid worthy dps, or atleast viable in some way.
    Chronomancer Club

probably not cause you can switch in combat. You cant with the warrior one.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by roflwaffle View Post
    probably not cause you can switch in combat. You cant with the warrior one.
    This is a bad move imo, would rather have the choice to do dps or healing, rather than to do a little of both with a choice in combat. No one will really bother with crane stance then, besides solo questing and whatnot.
    Chronomancer Club

I'd switch to crane for periods when the raid needs very little healing, that way, I'm at least doing something to contribute to the raid during down times. Likely, it will be 50%-75% of a normal dps's dps.

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    I know the devs intend to make other roles, such as a prot warrior, have a way to do competitive dps as dps roles. Is there any word that fistweaving would be raid worthy dps, or atleast viable in some way.
    Tanks are intended to do about 75% of the damage of an actual DPS. I'd bet that MW will be somewhere between 50-75% the damage of a DPS. They don't intend for Fistweaving to be a legitimate DPS spec. Instead, it's something you can do for some extra damage to the boss when there isn't much damage going out to the raid.
    This is a bad move imo, would rather have the choice to do dps or healing, rather than to do a little of both with a choice in combat. No one will really bother with crane stance then, besides solo questing and whatnot.
    If your intent is to do damage, try WW. It's an actual DPS spec for monks. If you want to heal, go MW. Fistweaving will have a place in raid healing, but it certainly won't be for doing competitive DPS.
    Last edited by Jocias; 2014-06-21 at 02:49 AM.

kinda mandatory than for most fights if the healer can do the full dps of a dps spec without any drawback, and be able to immediately switch back to healing full time
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jocias View Post
    Tanks are intended to do about 75% of the damage of an actual DPS. I'd bet that MW will be somewhere between 50-75% the damage of a DPS. They don't intend for Fistweaving to be a legitimate DPS spec. Instead, it's something you can do for some extra damage to the boss when there isn't much damage going out to the raid.

If you want to do competitive damage with a monk, try the WW spec.
    Wish they took the same route they did with gladiator stance and prot warriors. They are balancing it so they do 100% of the damage of a legitimate DPS spec. Would have loved the ability to be proficient in both healing and dps, even if we could only have to do one or the other.
    Chronomancer Club

Wish they took the same route they did with gladiator stance and prot warriors. They are balancing it so they do 100% of the damage of a legitimate DPS spec. Would have loved the ability to be proficient in both healing and dps, even if we could only have to do one or the other.
    I'm not keeping up with warrior changes, but it doesn't make much sense to give Prot Warriors a way to do competitive damage with real DPS specs. Blizz has been pretty firm on their stance that tanks are intended to do about 75% of the damage of a DPS.

Uhm, source?

They don't get any of the offensive moves of Arms or Fury, and the 20% DPS increase doesn't make up for what they're losing. Don't forget, the thing that was making them competitive - Bladed Armor - has been removed.

Crane stance has been and always will be an optional playstyle that lets you trade some healing throughput for some damage. This has always been the design, I don't know what would give you the idea that it was ever anything else, they've been very clear about its purpose and its role in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    Uhm, source?

They don't get any of the offensive moves of Arms or Fury, and the 20% DPS increase doesn't make up for what they're losing. Don't forget, the thing that was making them competitive - Bladed Armor - has been removed.
    I can't find the specific tweet(there's hundreds of them now!), but they did say it was supposed to be competitive or 'near competitive'(which I assume is like 90% dps). I remember the tweet in particular because they mentioned the reason for it is that a lot of people like the 'idea' of sword and board as an offense, and they wanted to fulfill that role 'legitimately'. It doesn't sound like they'll be able to tank or 'off-tank' as Gladiator so they aren't exactly 'sacrifice-less'. For Crane Stance to be 'the same as gladiator', they'd have to do almost no healing at all, and what for? They'd have roughly the same moves as WW(not 'using' mist to do damage, but using WW moves with auto heals and procs to boost mist moves as they are set to be now). They wouldn't exactly be all that interesting as a 'WW reskin', and there's no desire to play the alternative from, a 'mist-hurler', from a design/looks aspect anyways.

That's the difference, people want sword and board, I've never even heard anyone mention 'mist-hurlers' or lightning spec of some sort.
    Last edited by Ilfayt; 2014-06-21 at 03:24 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because noone at all TOTALLY EVER fistweaves in periods of Low raid damage intake to do some DPS then changes back to healing between phases with Mistweaver right now.

Nope noone at all.

- - - Updated - - -

You can be, it is called Dual-spec with a WW spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    Because noone at all TOTALLY EVER fistweaves in periods of Low raid damage intake to do some DPS then changes back to healing between phases with Mistweaver right now.

Nope noone at all.
    Might change when it takes 20 seconds to ramp up healing again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by affinity View Post
    Might change when it takes 20 seconds to ramp up healing again.
    Where there is a will there is a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilfayt View Post
    I can't find the specific tweet(there's hundreds of them now!), but they did say it was supposed to be competitive or 'near competitive'(which I assume is like 90% dps). I remember the tweet in particular because they mentioned the reason for it is that a lot of people like the 'idea' of sword and board as an offense, and they wanted to fulfill that role 'legitimately'. It doesn't sound like they'll be able to tank or 'off-tank' as Gladiator so they aren't exactly 'sacrifice-less'. For Crane Stance to be 'the same as gladiator', they'd have to do almost no healing at all, and what for? They'd have roughly the same moves as WW(not 'using' mist to do damage, but using WW moves with auto heals and procs to boost mist moves as they are set to be now). They wouldn't exactly be all that interesting as a 'WW reskin', and there's no desire to play the alternative from, a 'mist-hurler', from a design/looks aspect anyways.

That's the difference, people want sword and board, I've never even heard anyone mention 'mist-hurlers' or lightning spec of some sort.
    Well yeah, I saw the tweet but that was also before Bladed Armor was removed, and they haven't said anything since then about it. The reason Glad Stance was going to be competitive was because Bonus Armor would have granted Attack Power, which it no longer does; so it looks like Glad Stance is going the way of Warlock Tanks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SinAscendant View Post
    Well yeah, I saw the tweet but that was also before Bladed Armor was removed, and they haven't said anything since then about it. The reason Glad Stance was going to be competitive was because Bonus Armor would have granted Attack Power, which it no longer does; so it looks like Glad Stance is going the way of Warlock Tanks.
    It seems people like you like to over-react towards things without actually reading into it. They removed the Attack power from Bladed armor and rolled it into other stats instead.

So it is STILL there, just now Plate Tanks won't have to worry about Glad DPS taking bonus armor items just for DPS increase. It is instead rolled into Mastery.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2014-06-21 at 07:46 AM.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Bladed Armor, as a passive for tanks, was removed. The attack power bonus was baked into the Bonus Armor stat itself.

Mechanically, nothing changed, and "Bladed Armor" is still in. They're just cleaning up the skill tab by removing as many passives as they can (without actually removing any of those passives' bonuses/mechanics).

I assume crane stance will be just like fistweavers on live. You sacrifice healing for damage, but only enough to put you in the middle of both. You won't do enough damage to be a full fledged damage dealer, and you'll do less healing than other healers. The intended niche for this I think is when you're on a fight where say 2 heals isn't quite cutting it, but 3 would be a bit overkill, so you use a fistweaver to make it 2 1/2 healers.

Deleted
    Ill post the tweet if I find it but they wanted it to do 50% of the healing and 50% of the damage of traditional roles. Theyve said it wont be competitive with dps specs.

The difference between Crane Stance and Gladiator Stance is that a Warrior in Defensive Stance is still supposed to do ~75% of the damage of a normal DPS. They don't actually gain that much from Gladiator Stance, but they lose the ability to tank raid bosses (but can still tank adds).

Crane Stance actually gets a lot more extra DPS than Gladiator Stance ever could, and doesn't even give up nearly as much. Going from 0% damage to 50% of a DPS worth of damage is double going from 75% to 100%. It would be silly if Crane went to 100% DPS and could still heal, you'd literally replace every healer with a MW in Crane Stance if that was the case. That's why it's never even been suggested that damage-to-healing styles come anywhere close to full damage, it would be far too much of a gain. Gladiator Stance is still just whatever, no more useful than a normal DPS unless you need that one person to tank something small in the fight.