Page 1 of 16
... LastLast
    Deleted

28yr old Sentenced to 8 Months for Involuntary Manslaughter

It was on the third of march this year that the 43 years old man who were a father of 4 children went to Skåne in southern Sweden with his brother and a friend to see his favorite soccer team Djurgården play against Helsingborg.
    On the way to the game the 28 years old Helsingborg supporter had according to witnesses hit the 43 years old unprovoked in the head with a lot of force and because of the hit to the head the 43 years old fell and hit the back of his head on ground which ended up killing him.

The 28 years old man gave himself in the next day and he also told the police that he hit the 43 years old in an act of self defense, he claimed that the 43 years old had grabbed his jacket and raised his hand to hit him and thats when the 28 years old managed to hit him first instead. But as I written before, witnesses had seen that this were not the case and it became clear that the 28 years old had been lying.

According to the pathologis the 43 years old did not die from the hit from the 28 years old but he did indeed die when hitting his head on the ground. And the pathologis said that because the 43 years old had been consuming alcohol and because of his health (overweight) that it might have been a reason to his death as well. But they later came with the conclusion that the 43 years old would not have died that day if the 28 years old didnt hit him in the head.

Today in court the 28 years old was found guilty for involuntary manslaughter and assault and was sentenced to 8 months in prison.

If you ask me, the 28 years old are a 100% guilty for killing another man and 8 months in prison is not a punishment fit for a murderer. Sure it wasent the hit from the 28 years old that ultimately killed the 43 years old but he was the reason the 43 years old fell and hit his head on the ground.
    And especially when the hit came out of nowhere according to witnesses the 43 years old didnt do anything to antagonize him.

Even tho I dont think that he should go down for murder because in the end it was an accident that the 43 years old died, the hit were never ment to kill him.But he should still be looking at a few years in prison because he was a 100% aware of what he did and the hit was 100% unnecessary.

To me this just goes to show how weak and broken our (Swedens) justice system and I really think something has to be done. And this is not the first time I feel that our justice system is completely broken.

What do you guys think about this? Was it right to give him 8 months or do he deserve more?

Source:
    http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle19071718.ab

https://www.flashback.org/t2347596p473

Depends on what your goal is. Is it to address what lead him to attack the man and make sure he won't do it again or is it to inflict misery on the man.

Deleted
    He hit the head in the pavement, the man who hit him didn't mean for him to die. It was an accidental death.

10+ Year Old Account
    Their legal system works.

I'm in no position to criticize it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post

I'd argue that it doesn't work in far too many cases but in this case it did.

Quote Originally Posted by Azhil View Post
    I'd argue that it doesn't work in far too many cases but in this case it did.
    Their recidivism rate is below 40%.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Their recidivism rate is below 40%.

Reoffending rates 3 years after release:

People who have been convicted for robbery have a 73% reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for illegal possession of drugs have a 63%(Men) respectively 53%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for theft have a 54%(Men) respectively 30%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against the state have a 45%(Men) respectively 32%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for trafic-related crimes have a 39%(Men) respectively 28%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for vandalizing have a 39%(Men) respectively 30%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against freedom, peace, family and defamation have 39%(Men) respectively 24%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against life & personal health of someone have a 38%(Men) respectively 24%(Women) reofefnding rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes such as fraud, embezzlement and so on have 35%(Men) respectively 22%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against the public have 32%(Men) respectively 13%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for sexual crimes have 24%(Men) respectively 17%(Women) reoffending rate.

All in all, 44% of the men who have been convicted for a crime and 30% of the women reoffended within 3 years.

Deleted
    So if you pushed someone off the bridge, it would be fine because the push didn't kill him, contact with water did?

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Depends on what your goal is. Is it to address what lead him to attack the man and make sure he won't do it again or is it to inflict misery on the man.
    Question is why would you want the first thing? It is not like the individual is particularly necessary for society, or the society is facing underpopulation. It is waste of resources to rehabilitate someone i.e. resources that could be better spent elsewhere like education or welfare.

Deleted

http://www.thelocal.se/20140616/cour...-sex-game-rape

An appeals court ruled on Monday that a man was not guilty of raping a woman because he had "no intent to rape her" during a session of violent sexual intercourse he thought was part of a game.
    The man, 28, claimed that when the woman said no he thought it was just "part of the game".
    The man had confessed in court that he was violent during the sex and that the woman had protested, but he maintained that he thought it was all part of a game. He believed the woman was into dominant sex, he explained.
    It doesn't fucking work.

Don't derail into a discussion of rape
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2014-06-17 at 04:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The punch didn't kill him.

The victim stumbling and falling and hitting his head on the ground killed him.

Murder requires mens rea; intent to kill. This was intent to hurt. The guy was correctly convicted of involuntary manslaughter, as in any accidental death where you're at fault, and assault for the initial punch, and the 8 months is an appropriate sentence for those charges.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    So if you pushed someone off the bridge, it would be fine because the push didn't kill him, contact with water did?
    That's different than causing the death of someone accidentally.

He got 8 months in prison for punching somebody in the face. Which is significantly stiffer than the penalty for punching somebody in the face if they survive.

Quote Originally Posted by grovely View Post
    punishment
    It depends on if you think the justice system is supposed to be the vengeance system.

Quote Originally Posted by grovely View Post
    murderer
    Manslaughter. It's very obvious he didn't intend to kill -- murder requires intent to kill, manslaughter is less rigorous.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umchilli View Post
    It's more like you punched a guy on a bridge, and he staggered back a few steps and fell over the edge.

Intent matters. This is not a difficult or unique concept.

Deleted
    Actually, reading up more on the case I think he might get acquitted totally in the court of appeal or at least have the sentence reduced. They're giving it far too much weight that he's trained martial arts.

No, it does not work. That assumption that nordic justice system works comes from Hollywood, and the average population grouping all kinds of crimes together. It is true, that crimes just drug trafficing or fights have lower recidivism as they are more based on need or on the moment such as anger (which can be managed), but rape and cold blooded murder have same, if not higher rates of recividism than the U.S. due to it is impossible to fix core personality of the people or the brain damage i.e. reduced growth of frontal lobe (we still do not have the tech. to repair the brain).
    In hindsight, nordic countries even having recidivism makes it worse, since, you can't argue poverty drove them to it like the U.S. as Nordic countries do have best welfare system.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think 8 months is a bit low considering what happened to the man hit but swedish law makes a difference in intent and separates murder and something being an accident not intended to go that far when evaluating what the punishment should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    It's more like you punched a guy on a bridge, and he staggered back a few steps and fell over the edge.

Intent matters. This is not a difficult or unique concept.
    What would be the intent to punch someone who did you nothing wrong, did not even have interaction with you?

Say you and I going by the same road, and i use a gun to kill you. We don't even talk, or have even eye contact. Does intent at that point matter? Because at that point I don't even have intent.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post

Reoffending rates 3 years after release:

People who have been convicted for robbery have a 73% reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for illegal possession of drugs have a 63%(Men) respectively 53%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for theft have a 54%(Men) respectively 30%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against the state have a 45%(Men) respectively 32%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for trafic-related crimes have a 39%(Men) respectively 28%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for vandalizing have a 39%(Men) respectively 30%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against freedom, peace, family and defamation have 39%(Men) respectively 24%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against life & personal health of someone have a 38%(Men) respectively 24%(Women) reofefnding rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes such as fraud, embezzlement and so on have 35%(Men) respectively 22%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for crimes against the public have 32%(Men) respectively 13%(Women) reoffending rate.

People who have been convicted for sexual crimes have 24%(Men) respectively 17%(Women) reoffending rate.

All in all, 44% of the men who have been convicted for a crime and 30% of the women reoffended within 3 years.

To me, I couldnt care less if they are rehabilitated or will do it again or not. Its about punishing him for his crime. Otherwise you could commit a crime, apologize for it, and never do it again. People wouldnt be apprehensive about committing their first crime since they would just have to apologize. He should have a much longer sentence than 8 months and he should be miserable the whole time that he serves it (lights on in his cell 24 hours/day), No phone calls, no TV, no entertainment other than a newspaper to keep current and if he is religious, a religious book (Bible, Quran, Torah) etc...