Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How/why does that in-combat sap (still) work

In-combat sap was a thing back, I dunno, around the end of Cataclysm?

So, why am I seeing it again, now?

If you're referring to getting sapped right when you hit an enemy it's caused by latency.

If you're referring to getting sapped out of another CC, that's working as intended because a CC over 7 seconds will drop you out of combat.

Never seen anyone get sapped in combat, and I've done entirely too many arenas, so sure I would have come across it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps you mean the Monk thing, is it called Paralyze? Can't remember. Anyway, the ingame warning thing refers to it as Sapped.
    Warlock (SL main)

Deleted
    Whatever he means, he's obviously wrong.
    Nothing wrong / bugged about any sap.

Need more info.

A common trick is blind + sap. If you're blinded long enough combat drops. Other CC also works.

Frankly, Sap's in combat restriction should be removed. Give it a cooldown if necessary. It's the only ability in the game with this awkward, arbitrary restriction.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Need more info.

A common trick is blind + sap. If you're blinded long enough combat drops. Other CC also works.

Frankly, Sap's in combat restriction should be removed. Give it a cooldown if necessary. It's the only ability in the game with this awkward, arbitrary restriction.
    Come MoP I think it's also the only CC that has a "stance" requirement. I don't dislike the way it currently works though.

OT: Paralysis and I think repentance aswell give the "sapped" message, as others have said. Getting sapped in combat is and has never been possible.

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    OT: Paralysis and I think repentance aswell give the "sapped" message, as others have said. Getting sapped in combat is and has never been possible.
    Sure, it's possible. I was sapped in combat (in the middle of a furball of 10+ players) for about 3 sec in AV the other day. It's not supposed to be possible. As you know, what's supposed to be possible and what is possible are often two different things.

And like I said it was happening often enough around the end of Cataclysm (multiple times per BG to my healers) that I am certain there was some kind of exploit going around.

The monk ability has a pretty obvious visual effect.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Surely a Nelf rogue can do it with the Shadowmeld/Sap combo, Being a Nelf druid I can hit Shadowmeld and I'm immediately released from combat, So if my Shadowmeld/Flightform can work, surely that can?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by biggischkris View Post
    Whatever he means, he's obviously wrong.
    Nothing wrong / bugged about any sap.
    Yes, because your experiences are obviously the same as everyone elses? amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by ophion1990 View Post
    Come MoP I think it's also the only CC that has a "stance" requirement. I don't dislike the way it currently works though.
    I don't mind the stealth requirement, IMO that's more than enough of a limitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Surely a Nelf rogue can do it with the Shadowmeld/Sap combo, Being a Nelf druid I can hit Shadowmeld and I'm immediately released from combat, So if my Shadowmeld/Flightform can work, surely that can?
    Nah, Sap only works if your TARGET is not in combat.

Which of course you have little control over... antiquated mechanic if you ask me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I don't mind the stealth requirement, IMO that's more than enough of a limitation.

Nah, Sap only works if your TARGET is not in combat.

Which of course you have little control over... antiquated mechanic if you ask me.
    But if Shadowmeld releases you from combat, does it not with your opponent? Surely if you're in a fight with someone and it's used, I would have thought it would just end combat, rather than end it for only one of you, I've never been on the other end of it so I don't know;D

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    But if Shadowmeld releases you from combat, does it not with your opponent? Surely if you're in a fight with someone and it's used, I would have thought it would just end combat, rather than end it for only one of you, I've never been on the other end of it so I don't know;D

It wasn't 1v1. He was in a group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Didacticus Syntacticus View Post
    Sure, it's possible. I was sapped in combat (in the middle of a furball of 10+ players) for about 3 sec in AV the other day. It's not supposed to be possible. As you know, what's supposed to be possible and what is possible are often two different things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well in that case, I guess he was just stood there, doing nothing, hence he wasn't in combat, so someone just came along and sapped his leaching ass

15+ Year Old Account
    Outside ORG sending your children down the mines.
    You can successfully sap and perform you're opener without sap breaking, however, that is different from what you're talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Latency.

A person who hasn't been attacked for 5.5 seconds will be out of combat, but due to the amazing latency of other players/you you can still get sapped even if you have gotten the notice that you're in combat.

Also don't know if they fixed the bug where you can still sap someone for like .5 seconds once a heal lands.

monks have a sap that can be used in combat rogues do not.

Quote Originally Posted by oldschoolrogueplayer View Post
    monks have a sap that can be used in combat rogues do not.
    I was taking damage continually (many times per second) so I'm not sure why I was sapped for 3 full seconds, never mind how I got sapped in combat to begin with.

So I wonder if the exploit is back.

I was taking damage continually (many times per second) so I'm not sure why I was sapped for 3 full seconds, never mind how I got sapped in combat to begin with.

So I wonder if the exploit is back.
    Dots dont keep you in combat. Every new applied event or ability resets the "out of combat" timer on you. Every time you are hit by something new.

The only exception to this is minions, as they seem to have a pve-aggro like scheme where if a minion is going for you, you're screwed untill it dies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you assume that you were sapped because you couldn't move or did you actually see the sap icon pop up on your buff/debuff bar?

Quote Originally Posted by crazymack View Post
    Did you assume that you were sapped because you couldn't move or did you actually see the sap icon pop up on your buff/debuff bar?
    The part where <Sapped> went by on my combat text was my clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    The part where <Sapped> went by on my combat text was my clue.
    Congratulations, you were paralyzed by a monk or Repentanced by a paladin.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff