Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's your "go-to" source for Tech/Hardware news?

Title poses the question.

1.) What is your go-to source(s) for Tech/Computing/Gaming (yea, I know they are all different niches per-say) news on the web.
    2.) Does the design of the website influence your opinion on the credibility and/or the chance you'll return to said site(s)?

EDIT: When I say Tech/Hardware "news", I'm referring to obviously literal "news" in the tech/computing/mobile sector as well as reviews on products.
    Last edited by alturic; 2014-06-29 at 05:06 AM.

Deleted
    been using http://www.theregister.co.uk/ for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    been using http://www.theregister.co.uk/ for quite a while.
    I edited the question, but damn, that site would be frustratingly difficult for me to navigate. Not really because it's somewhat ugly (imo of course) but because it's nothing but text, which makes it difficult to easily see if the article interests me, you know?

I like to browse Real Clear Technology as a clearinghouse for tech news.
    http://www.realcleartechnology.com/

Also Leo Laporte is very passionate about tech and I learn things from his radio show and website.
    http://www.techguylabs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    2.) Does the design of the website influence your opinion on the credibility and/or the chance you'll return to said site(s)?
    Sounds like you want to start a tech blog, for profit.

Advice: Don't. The market is obscenely saturated with next to no opportunity to get indexed anywhere remotely close to the front pages of search results.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

Advice: Don't. The market is obscenely saturated with next to no opportunity to get indexed anywhere remotely close to the front pages of search results.
    My advice is follow your passions. If you are TRULY passionate about tech news, it will bleed thru your website and will have a chance to be successful. If you're just in it to make money, then nah don't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post

Heh, we already have a portfolio of sites in extremely high competition markets. In relation to the question though, it's interesting to me how some sites are downright stuck in the 90s (theregister, realcleartechnology from this thread alone) yet have a following.

1. AnandTech, The Verge and Reddit.

2. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    My advice is follow your passions. If you are TRULY passionate about tech news, it will bleed thru your website and will have a chance to be successful. If you're just in it to make money, then nah don't do it.
    While some people try playing the "I'm so passionate about this project", in the end they are (not always, but usually) blinded by the prospect of it blowing up and making obscene money from it and/or only caring about the dollar in the end anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Heh, we already have a portfolio of sites in extremely high competition markets. In relation to the question though, it's interesting to me how some sites are downright stuck in the 90s (theregister, realcleartechnology from this thread alone) yet have a following.
    I don't know what "stuck in the 90s" means, but I just want information and I don't care about gloss.

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to like cnet, but since they won't let you watch videos with adblock enabled, I stopped going to their site.

Edit:
    I tried again, guess they changed their minds. I can watch videos again.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I don't know what "stuck in the 90s" means, but I just want information and I don't care about gloss.
    Well, there's a (albeit somewhat fine) line between "gloss" and "pleasing" design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    I used to like cnet, but since they won't let you watch videos with adblock enabled, I stopped going to their site.

Edit:
    I tried again, guess they changed their minds. I can watch videos again.
    Yea, CNET is one of those sites that has a pretty good balance of pleasing design elements and tying that into the content.

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    Linus Tech Tips

10+ Year Old Account
    I just use Google News and it has a tech section. I also listen to various science podcasts that will regularly discuss the newest technologies published in scientific journals. I'm not a hardware enthusiast, so I have no need for more than that.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Between Reddit, Google News and my Facebook feed, I never seek out tech news from specific sites. I don't care who's hosting it.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    I just use Google News and it has a tech section. I also listen to various science podcasts that will regularly discuss the newest technologies published in scientific journals. I'm not a hardware enthusiast, so I have no need for more than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by videotape View Post
    Between Reddit, Google News and my Facebook feed, I never seek out tech news from specific sites. I don't care who's hosting it.
    Let me re-phrase. If you were looking to buy a new router, motherboard, harddrive, laptop, tablet, phone, etc where would you go, and any specific reason as to why?

Android version of Google Newsstand. Most of my feed sources are mobile/tech sites. Wish they had a Chrome/desktop version which worked like the mobile.

I used igoogle up to about a year and some odd months before it was shut down. It was an absolutely brilliant service and I haven't found anything close to being as useful.

Anandtech, linustechtips, tek syndicate, Overclock3D. I'm prob forgetting some but those are the main ones.

I like to poke into plosone.org ever once in a while to look for something new. Not exactly a traditional news site.
    Rincewind: Ah! We may, in fact, have reached the root of the problem. However it's a silly problem and so I am suddenly going to stop talking to you.
    The better character questionnaire (D&D)

10+ Year Old Account
    Linustechtips and NCIX on youtube for some of my news since there's almost video everyday from them. Overclock.net for questions and sources usually and of course the all mighty GOOGLE.