Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Good country index

This one came up a couple of days ago.

http://www.goodcountry.org/overall

Have fun scrolling through. Ireland wins the first spot

United States, 7th in "Health and Well-Being", the fuck?

Wow. Except for that 7th spot for "Health and Well-Being", the U.S. doesn't have much going for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Look at the qualifiers:

Food Aid
    Pharmaceutical Exports
    Voluntary Donations to the WHO
    Humanitarian Aid Donations
    Drug Seizures

Stupid ranking system is stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I clicked first on science and technology, noticed the Czech Republic at 4th, Hungary 9th, and Germany and France behind them at 11th and 12th. Immediately decided that whatever methodology they're using is such complete garbage that there's no real point bothering with the rest of the list. Also, US 26th, Canada 28th, and South Korea 30th, behind luminaries like Bulgaria and Serbia. OK...

Deleted
    The UK is first in science and technology? I seriously thought it would be the USA.

10+ Year Old Account

Edit: Because apparently it's scored on international "aid" and whatnot and not domestically? What kinda bullshit scoring system is this?
    US is a healthy country... if you keep it to the East (northern part) and West coasts, Colorado and the Canadian border states. Midwest, South bring the average down.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    US is a healthy country... if you keep it to the East (northern part) and West coasts, Colorado and the Canadian border states. Midwest, South bring the average down.
    Even then not compared to the rest of the developed western world. Easily not 7th.

Ah-ha! The FAQ:
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Country Index
    Q: What do you mean, “good”? Surely all countries are partly good and partly bad?

A: Try thinking of “good” as a measure of how much a country contributes to the common good. So in this context “good” means the opposite of “selfish”, not the opposite of “bad”. The Good Country Index isn’t trying to make any moral judgments: it just measures, as objectively as possible, what each country contributes to the common good, and what it takes away.

10+ Year Old Account
    From the site:
    What’s all this about, then?

A: The Good Country Index tries to measure how much each country on earth contributes to the planet and to the human race.
    I would say, yes.... That would justify the 7th place.. The country does greatly contribute to the health and well being of the World.
    The problem is..... in the rest of the industrial world those US contributions are easily available for less, due to proper healthcare. In the US they cost you the big bucks.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    The UK is first in science and technology? I seriously thought it would be the USA.
    By any rational measurement, that'd be the case. Instead, they've dreamt up a system that shows off the sparkling technological contributions of Slovenia above the US, Canada, and Korea. Japan's at 46th, one spot ahead Kenya. Seems legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Ah-ha! The FAQ:
    Implication: This ranking system was devised by a group of collegiate hippies from a peripheral European state.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    From the site:
    I would say, yes.... That would justify the 7th place.. The country does greatly contribute to the health and well being of the World.
    The problem is..... in the rest of the industrial world those US contributions are easily available for less, due to proper healthcare. In the US they cost you the big bucks.
    Which is what I thought, but then the whole science and technology score makes no sense whatsoever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Germany is first in World Order.....
    Who would have thought that.... some 69 yrs later....

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Implication: This ranking system was devised by a group of collegiate hippies from a peripheral European state.
    Yeah but now the list makes a bit more sense in its scoring now.

Another fun couple - Zambia and Botswana are 11th and 12th on "Prosperity and Equality". Now, to be fair, they might both have equality, I have no idea, but if your formula is describing them as prosperous, your formula is wrong.

Germany is first in World Order.....
    Who would have thought that.... some 69 yrs later....
    Malta is 6th, and a very relevant threat to your top spot on world order. You better keep them in line.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is what I thought, but then the whole science and technology score makes no sense whatsoever.
    I stumbled over some article tidbit yesterday (I don't wanna search it now, since it was a cross link from a cross link thing), that was dealing with London trying to overtake the tech spot #1 from Silicon Valley.. Maybe that relates to it... idk.... Germany's #1 spot makes not too much sense for me either.. lol

- - - Updated - - -

Malta is 6th, and a very relevant threat to your top spot on world order. You better keep them in line.
    Mind you, Germany started to dismantle it's military..... lol
    Take that USA.
    How to rule the world: Get rid of your armies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    35th for life expectancy. 1st for obesity.
    We still couldn't break top 25 for life expectancy even if you cherry picked the top 20 states (even with double medical spending).

I stumbled over some article tidbit yesterday (I don't wanna search it now, since it was a cross link from a cross link thing), that was dealing with London trying to overtake the tech spot #1 from Silicon Valley.. Maybe that relates to it... idk.... Germany's #1 spot makes not too much sense for me either.. lol
    Germany should definitely be up there. But I figured the whole car, internet, computer, cell phone, etc. thing from the USA kinda secured #1.

- - - Updated - - -

Mind you, Germany started to dismantle it's military..... lol
    Take that USA.
    How to rule the world: Get rid of your armies.
    Germany doesn't need to invade Europe. It could just buy it at this point.