Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question [Discussion] What did MMOs deprive you?

I know that all people here love game online (AKA MMOs or MMOGs), don't you? I love playing MMOGs like you. I started to play MU Online from 2005 to 2009. I'm NOT a game addicted but i don't know why i had spent a lot of time and money for games. What a pity!

MMOGs deprives me of many things such as time, money. When i were a student, i often played hooky. Luckily, i weren't expeled from university. I spent a lot of money to buy items. It's a stupid spending.

And what about you, guy? What did MMOs deprive you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Look, everyone will say nothing, because it's a hobby, not a job.
    A job deprives you of time and mental health, a hobby gives you pleasure. But the difference is that you need a job to live, whereas a hobby is a choice. You can't be deprived of something while enjoying a hobby.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    Look, everyone will say nothing, because it's a hobby, not a job.
    A job deprives you of time and mental health, a hobby gives you pleasure. But the difference is that you need a job to live, whereas a hobby is a choice. You can't be deprived of something while enjoying a hobby.
    Actually you can if you become addicted. Some player might spend a ludicrous amount of time playing a game of which they might enjoy while falling behind on homework, getting overweight, losing contact with friends etc. So eventually the consequences of spending excessive amounts of time on a hobby might be overall detrimental to a person's life. Everything in life can be bad. Everything in life can be good. There's no black and white answer to this. You need a balance by properly prioritizing various things in life that have got to be done. While most individuals dwell in misery some people actually enjoy their job and are not psychologically damaged by it. I might sound quite hypocritical because I myself have not fully abided by the aforementioned statements but I suppose it's simpler to theorize about what is right and another to apply it in practise.
    Last edited by Senathor; 2014-06-27 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Typo

10+ Year Old Account
    In my heyday of MMOship, I was deprived of time to play single player offline games. It took awhile to catch up on all the great games I missed.

Deleted
    I no longer play MMOs. Used to be addicted to wow, now i haven't played wow for year or two, i don't know anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by GodOfGame87VN View Post
    I know that all people here love game online (AKA MMOs or MMOGs), don't you? I love playing MMOGs like you. I started to play MU Online from 2005 to 2009. I'm NOT a game addicted but i don't know why i had spent a lot of time and money for games. What a pity!

MMOGs deprives me of many things such as time, money. When i were a student, i often played hooky. Luckily, i weren't expeled from university. I spent a lot of money to buy items. It's a stupid spending.

And what about you, guy? What did MMOs deprive you?
    I find it difficult to appreciate games anymore because I still think most of them are terrible. No game tries to be innovative anymore. WoW deprived me of sleep and school stuff for a while but it also helped me forget how much life fucking sucks until I eventually got bored of the game and was smacked in the face by reality hard enough to never recover. But that's life. It sucks donkey anus for most people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Oluchi View Post
    I no longer play MMOs. Used to be addicted to wow, now i haven't played wow for year or two, i don't know anymore.
    Yeah, once WoW gets boring there is unfortunately no other MMO to play. I got fooled by the Wildstar hype and the game turned out to be just as disappointing as every other WoW-copy game.

Deleted
    Nothing really, I never listed MMOs or any other genre of games, higher than any tasks that I needed to do within a day. I think the only thing I missed out on, was some parties because we raided on saturdays but really, I was never much of a party attender.

I could of course be a marathon runner by now, or read x % of books at local library. All that falls into choices that you make in life, and choosing to play MMOs in your leisure time, really isn't a more valid choice than anything else in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpedAcorn View Post
    In my heyday of MMOship, I was deprived of time to play single player offline games. It took awhile to catch up on all the great games I missed.
    Could you suggest some please?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Nothing really, I never listed MMOs or any other genre of games, higher than any tasks that I needed to do within a day. I think the only thing I missed out on, was some parties because we raided on saturdays but really, I was never much of a party attender.

I could of course be a marathon runner by now, or read x % of books at local library. All that falls into choices that you make in life, and choosing to play MMOs in your leisure time, really isn't a more valid choice than anything else in my opinion.
    As long as it's not an addiction I agree.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Senathor View Post
    As long as it's not an addiction I agree.
    Well, addiction is a word to describe a behaviour that is somewhat self harming. As long as you can keep gaming habits grounded in your actual leisure time and normal sleeping patterns, it is absolved from being an addiction

Probably spending actual time with my friends, when all my friends play the game and i'm on skype with them playing in game with them 3+ hours a night, the urge to go see them and do stuff diminishes because my brain convinces itself that's what i'm doing anyway lol.

I probably don't text the gf enough when I'm playing too, although I have fail-safes in place (i.e. don't turn the fkn pc on when I'm with her) so that it doesn't affect us too much :P

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Well, addiction is a word to describe a behaviour that is somewhat self harming. As long as you can keep gaming habits grounded in your actual leisure time and normal sleeping patterns, it is absolved from being an addiction
    Indeed it is.

I was never deprived of anything because I have self control and ran my guild, quite successfully, on the basis of people having things to do in RL.

Deleted
    Yeah, once WoW gets boring there is unfortunately no other MMO to play. I got fooled by the Wildstar hype and the game turned out to be just as disappointing as every other WoW-copy game.
    There are 2 types of MMO in the world, WoW clones and ones that nobody really plays and know about.
    Multiplayer games with coop are the fun i play now. ETS2, D3, Farming simulator 15 (soon), KSP, Space Engineers, Minecraft, Starbound, Planet Explorers. Waiting for seed of andromeda, citybound.

Actually you can if you become addicted. Some player might spend a ludicrous amount of time playing a game of which they might enjoy while falling behind on homework, getting overweight, losing contact with friends etc. So eventually the consequences of spending excessive amounts of time on an hobby might be overall detrimental to a person's life. Everything in life can be bad. Everything in life can be good. There's no black and white answer to this. You need a balance by properly prioritizing various things in life that have got to be done. While most individuals dwell in misery some people actually enjoy their job and are not psychologically damaged by it. I might sound quite hypocritical because I myself have not fully abided by the aforementioned statements but I suppose it's simpler to theorize about what is right and another to apply it in practise.
    I totally agree with you, Senathor. MMOGs make our life more fun. Me too. In the virtual world, i fell myself satisfied and relaxed. I've never ever played WoW. It's a great pity in my life when i were a student. Now the real life takes me the whole time....

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually you can if you become addicted. Some player might spend a ludicrous amount of time playing a game of which they might enjoy while falling behind on homework, getting overweight, losing contact with friends etc. So eventually the consequences of spending excessive amounts of time on an hobby might be overall detrimental to a person's life. Everything in life can be bad. Everything in life can be good. There's no black and white answer to this. You need a balance by properly prioritizing various things in life that have got to be done. While most individuals dwell in misery some people actually enjoy their job and are not psychologically damaged by it. I might sound quite hypocritical because I myself have not fully abided by the aforementioned statements but I suppose it's simpler to theorize about what is right and another to apply it in practise.
    I bet 99.9% of the working people do it for the money.
    That automatically excludes it as something pleasant, something you'd do even if you had money.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm deprived of time I could be playing other games.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    good grades XD oh and a proper sleeping schedule
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMOs deprived me of MMOs. I've tried a few of them and didn't like a single one. The only modern MMO I could stand was Guild Wars 2, but it, too, got repetitive after some time.
    Single-player RPGs and multiplayer RTS, however...

Sub. costs and various fees like character transfers.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vargur View Post
    I bet 99.9% of the working people do it for the money.
    That automatically excludes it as something pleasant, something you'd do even if you had money.
    Acording to you, im glad to be one of those 0.1% that work for the joy of it, and i do have to choise of not working, amybe in 5-10 years time i wont have that choise and will have to work but atm i do have the choise of not working.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain