EU you scare me sometimes

I feel like I am watching V for Vendetta play out in Europe when I read crazy stuff like this. This type of stuff scares the shit out of me.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/google...104829648.html

The European Union's new law giving people a "right to be forgotten," which requires Google to remove links to information about them, is having exactly the effect its critics predicted: It is censoring the internet, giving new tools that help the rich and powerful (and ordinary folk) hide negative information about them, and letting criminals make their histories disappear.

Exhibit A: Google was required to delete a link to this BBC article about Stan O'Neal, the former CEO of Merrill Lynch. O'Neal led the bank in the mid-2000s, a period when it became dangerously over-exposed to the looming mortgage crisis. When the crisis hit, Merrill's losses were so great the bank had to be sold to Bank of America. O'Neal lost his job, but he exited with a $161.5 million golden parachute.
    Also, Business Insider previously noted that deletion requests were granted for a former politician who wanted to remove links to a news article about his behavior when previously in office — so that he can have a clean slate when running for a new position — and a man who was convicted of possessing child sexual abuse imagery.

Deleted
    Those corrupt assholes need to be hung. All of them. Its about time we made some examples of people that destroy 1000s of lifes by bankrupting companies to make millions of their own. We invaded countries for less, yet its unthinkable we lynch someone that got thousands into unresolvable debt to make money of the interest.

We got enough bread and games i guess. Nothing has changed since 2000 years. The elite are still the elite, and the poor are just a little less poor. The poor get opressed, the elite get away with everything. Your a slave 50 years of ur life, for a pay that barely pays the bills. But no-one gives a shit, caus were not dying of hunger or boredom, Caesar tought them well.
    Last edited by mmoc9478eb6901; 2014-07-03 at 12:57 PM.

Privacy is such a scary thing, indeed.
    It's not like those articles are deleted.

Deleted
    lets look at it another way.
    Say for instance I was accused of a crime and that crime got lots of unwarranted publicity, to the point where even though I was proven innocent (and am actually innocent) that all people can find on the internet is the reports of what I was accused of but very little on me being proven innocent to such a point that I could not find work or all people know of me is "Guilty cos it says so on the net"
    Then having Google and other search engine's remove the links to these articles about me would be in my best interest.

Sadly it is a double edge sword.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Those corrupt assholes need to be hung. All of them. Its about time we made some examples of people that destroy 1000s of lifes by bankrupting companies to make millions of their own. We invaded countries for less.
    Yeah , lets bring back hanging.

Because the death penalty is proven to be a deterrent....wait

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Privacy is such a scary thing, indeed.
    It's not like those articles are deleted.
    This might be a extreme example but the NAZI's burned material they thought was offensive in an attempt to rewrite history.

Deleted
    The idea behind the law is to protect normal citizens who, for example, have been falsely accused of something and later exonerated.

Unfortunately due to the relatively poor management of old data by service providers like Google, you will get hits on the service for articles that may be out of date, inaccurate or just plain lies. The unfortunate side effect is people like in your original article but the law aims for the greater good.

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post

It may or may not be a deterrent, the scientific results are still ambivalent about that - but it certainly is preventative.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    This might be a extreme example but the NAZI's burned material they thought was offensive in an attempt to rewrite history.
    Right to privacy and rewriting history are so far from each other than I don't know if I can convey the difference to you by any example if you don't get it yourself.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KenNorth View Post
    It may or may not be a deterrent, the scientific results are still ambivalent about that - but it certainly is preventative.
    Texas would like to disagree with you there. China would be another great example.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    Beats doing nothing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yep, very good intentions but as always it's abused. I think overall this law will do more harm than good unfortunately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    lets look at it another way.
    Say for instance I was accused of a crime and that crime got lots of unwarranted publicity, to the point where even though I was proven innocent (and am actually innocent) that all people can find on the internet is the reports of what I was accused of but very little on me being proven innocent to such a point that I could not find work or all people know of me is "Guilty cos it says so on the net"
    Then having Google and other search engine's remove the links to these articles about me would be in my best interest.

Sadly it is a double edge sword.
    I'm going to go with this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its not scary.

Its giving privacy to people who have been accused of committing illegal acts and is found innocent later. It also protects people who have served their time and became law abiding citizens after prison ( they would still appear in the register the police department have ). There is a downside to this as you say due to corporate and political corruption but there is also benefits.

Buy a gun and you will feel safe.

Deleted
    US is far worse.

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Its not scary.

Its giving privacy to people who have been accused of committing illegal acts and is found innocent later. It also protects people who have served their time and became law abiding citizens after prison ( they would still appear in the register the police department have ). There is a downside to this as you say due to corporate and political corruption but there is also benefits.
    Plus there is an exception for information for which there is a public interest in that information remaining in the public domain. This also does NOT delete the information from the internet. It removes the links to the information from search engine databases, making it less easy to find.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    Those corrupt assholes need to be hung. All of them. Its about time we made some examples of people that destroy 1000s of lifes by bankrupting companies to make millions of their own. We invaded countries for less, yet its unthinkable we lynch someone that got thousands into unresolvable debt to make money of the interest.

We got enough bread and games i guess. Nothing has changed since 2000 years. The elite are still the elite, and the poor are just a little less poor. The poor get opressed, the elite get away with everything. Your a slave 50 years of ur life, for a pay that barely pays the bills. But no-one gives a shit, caus were not dying of hunger or boredom, Caesar tought them well.
    You can still use other sources than google. It's not like everything disappears. It's just that the search results won't show up on Google.
    It's still bad, but not THAT bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    apples to oranges.

The NAZIs burned books so that they can never be read again. Google "burns" the register in which those books are listed. You can still read those books.

@OP: We scare you because you read some BS on an american newssite. why don't you watch some fox news?

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You can still use other sources than google. It's not like everything disappears. It's just that the search results won't show up on Google.
    It's still bad, but not THAT bad.
    Yeah, you could use Bing!

http://www.badumtss.net/