Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Heroes of the storm will be massive, instant hit

This game will be the game of the year when it's released.

Why?

1) It's not a MMO which takes massive amounts of time to play.
    2) It's visually appeasing unlike recent releases like Wildstar
    3) It's easy to play
    4) It's team based.
    5) You get into the action. There's no waiting around. You get out. You can be ultra casual and still have fun.
    6) It's not pay to win. You get enough gold and you can buy anything in the game. If you are casual and have money you can do that too. But, it doesn't help you win.

This is going to be the next ultra addictive game that will make the MMO obsolete. No one wants to pour years of their lives into MMOs anymore. People want the get in and get out fast paced game for their busy lives that makes SCHEDULING A GAME IMPOSSIBLE. That's the key thing people don't understand when it comes to games. Scheduling time for a game is SIMPLY IMPOSSIBLE FOR MOST PEOPLE.

Well I don't think so, you just described LoL and that train already left, HotS won't be getting on that massive, instant hit train IMHO.
    "Welcome to MMO-C, where most posters would rather play semantics, pick faults or just flat out fail at reading comprehension so they can argue with you over an issue that wasn't even in the original post."
    -Kronik85

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure people will play it, it's going to be f2p. Doesn't mean it will be an instant hit. Probably will do decent since it's developed by Blizzard but the game itself is a very dumbed down MOBA experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsara View Post
    Well I don't think so, you just described LoL and that train already left, HotS won't be getting on that massive, instant hit train IMHO.
    50million+ players in LoL. Many are getting tired/bored/unsatisfied with the direction/balancing of the game.

I'm sure HOTS will have a large amount of people at launch. We just have to wait and see if thoses people will stick.

Homophobia is so gay.

There are already superior mobas around though. One is free to play with any purchased items being entirely cosmetic (Dota 2), and one is about as easy to get into as HotS and already has an established playerbase (League of Legends). It doesn't fill any kind of niche either, unlike Smite with its third person perspective rather than top down view.

I also wouldn't say you get right into the action. Being forced to play bot games until you've leveled up enough to play real games is terrible for anybody that already knows how to play a moba. Locking out extra talents is even worse as you are simply a liability with some characters until you unlock those extra talents.

Far from game of the year.

I've seen Heroes of the Storm and I'm rather unimpressed, don't see a reason to pick it over LoL and DotA 2.

It will most likely be a fail because it's basically blizzard's pathetic attempt to take a piece of the money pie away from this moba popularity. And I cant stress out how really it IS pathetic. So no, it will stay in the shadows of Dota 2 and LoL.

10+ Year Old Account
    when you say people want this and people want that you are talking about yourself, one day you will realize that there are other people who live on this planet and those people are different from yourself and as strange as it may seem to you they think differently than you do also......ok, now that ive blown your mind you can stop thinking that you are special.

I should actually give it a try now that I'm out of school lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I should actually give it a try now that I'm out of school lol.
    its only out in beta right now

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I've seen Heroes of the Storm and I'm rather unimpressed, don't see a reason to pick it over LoL and DotA 2.
    This, also I'm not expert in companies and how they treat they're players, but I think that Riot>Blizz at this point, talking about updates/releases etc.
    HotS might be fun game to escape from standard MOBAS, but no way in hell it'll get as popular as League or even same Dota2.

I think it'll do alright but it's not going to be to the MOBA gnere what WoW is to the MMORPG market.

HotS is not competitive focused, which means it goes into the casual category, which lol is both but hits the competitive side more, HotS will be just under dota 2...
    Spec: i5 4670k - MSI Z87M-G43 - HyperX 8GB -Corsair H100 - GTX 980 ti

HoTS is pretty disappointingly boring. Sure, it's a fun MOBA if you've never played MOBAs, but it's so horribly not competitive and the "purchasing heroes"/skins idea is already monopolized by League. This game will keep the audience of the diehard Blizzard fans, but people looking for a real MOBA will play League/Dota.

Personally, I've played 1.3K hours of Dota2 and maybe 10 hours of League, and in the ~15 or so games I've played in HoTS, the game doesn't bring anything new enough to the table that it might attract players over the other 2 MOBAs. I wouldn't say it'll be dead on arrival, but it sure as hell won't be big.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Galluccio View Post
    1) It's not a MMO which takes massive amounts of time to play. Just like what ? 95% of the games out there ?
    2) It's visually appeasing unlike recent releases like Wildstar. I really distate WS looks but as I said.... it's a question of taste. Very personal.
    3) It's easy to play. Like most games.
    4) It's team based. Like most online games.
    5) You get into the action. There's no waiting around. You get out. You can be ultra casual and still have fun.
    6) It's not pay to win. You get enough gold and you can buy anything in the game. If you are casual and have money you can do that too. But, it doesn't help you win.
    Someone has been living under a rock for the past 10 years I guess.
    Have you ever heard of the MOBA genre ? DotA 2 / LoL / HoN and many others ? Many other multiplayer genre would apply to all your criterias starting with any online FPS.

My personal feeling is that it'll end up like hearthstone, some kind of half sucess that will probably not mark history. Which is a shame I was really into trying it out but as we get more info i feel less and less likely to be interested by the dev's gameplay choices. I'll try it out but it'll take a lot to get me out of dota.

Quote Originally Posted by IISlayerxII View Post
    HotS is not competitive focused, which means it goes into the casual category, which lol is both but hits the competitive side more, HotS will be just under dota 2...
    Are you saying dota is more casual than LoL ?
    Last edited by mmoceb381e0edb; 2014-05-31 at 10:58 PM.

I am a huge League of Legends fan, and have played it for quite a while and reached Diamond 1 on the previous season. Don't play competitive anymore because, well, Masters Degree happened.

That said, I seriously believe HotS will be able to take a big slice out of the MOBA genre.

To all of you who say that it will die under the shadow of LoL and DotA2, you are missing a big, important detail.

This is Blizzard we are talking about.

Every single market it gets into, it dominates. You might argue that you don't like Starcraft / WoW / Diablo as much as you used to, but that doesn't matter in the slightest: what matters are Statistics, and they show that Blizzard dominates these genres for many long years.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they managed to figure out what is right with LoL, figure out what is wrong with it, and manage to create a model that captivates a huge player base.

Blizzard is one of the most successful gaming companies that ever existed. I am talking purely from a Business viewpoint, not about the quality of the games.

My point is: they have dominated the market for all genres they have gotten into. Heck, they even dominate online TCG while Magic has existed for centuries yet no one could get it to work Online decently. (Don't take this as a strong argument, though, since Hearthstone is on a much smaller scale compared to the other games).

I am not saying HotS will be a huge success, but don't write it off just yet. You might be surprised.

It's been greeted by fans of the genre as "LoL for kids", aside from splitting some dedicated Blizzard fans out of their current Blizzard game I don't see it taking off. Though, to be fair, you can do a lot with Blizzard fans as your cash base.

Quote Originally Posted by Greyy View Post
    I am a huge League of Legends fan, and have played it for quite a while and reached Diamond 1 on the previous season. Don't play competitive anymore because, well, Masters Degree happened.

That said, I seriously believe HotS will be able to take a big slice out of the MOBA genre.

To all of you who say that it will die under the shadow of LoL and DotA2, you are missing a big, important detail.

This is Blizzard we are talking about.

Every single market it gets into, it dominates. You might argue that you don't like Starcraft / WoW / Diablo as much as you used to, but that doesn't matter in the slightest: what matters are Statistics, and they show that Blizzard dominates these genres for many long years.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they managed to figure out what is right with LoL, figure out what is wrong with it, and manage to create a model that captivates a huge player base.

Blizzard is one of the most successful gaming companies that ever existed. I am talking purely from a Business viewpoint, not about the quality of the games.

My point is: they have dominated the market for all genres they have gotten into. Heck, they even dominate online TCG while Magic has existed for centuries yet no one could get it to work Online decently. (Don't take this as a strong argument, though, since Hearthstone is on a much smaller scale compared to the other games).

I am not saying HotS will be a huge success, but don't write it off just yet. You might be surprised.
    I know you said not to take Hearthstone vs MTGO as a strong argument, but MTGO was designed as an alternative to physical MTG and was always meant to be an inferior option to playing the game physically, with you having to purchase boosters and such to play, with no alternative currency available. Hearthstone was built specifically as a digital card game that was free to play.

After D3, Blizzard has lost some of their foothold in dungeon crawling games. PoE is doing very well and IMO is the superior game. At this point, I would say most Blizzard games sell just on brand loyalty alone, because the games they made years ago were great. Starcraft 2 is the only game they have made in recent years (again IMO) that can hold up to their older games, and I'm not even an RTS fan.

After D3, Blizzard has lost some of their foothold in dungeon crawling games. PoE is doing very well and IMO is the superior game. At this point, I would say most Blizzard games sell just on brand loyalty alone, because the games they made years ago were great. Starcraft 2 is the only game they have made in recent years (again IMO) that can hold up to their older games, and I'm not even an RTS fan.
    I dunno, depends on what you expected. I know I'm one of the minority who picked it up for the story (which with playing 3 separate story campaigns at once, was terrible) but also for the custom maps. But they made the system for finding custom games horrendous. I don't know if it was fixed in Heart of the Swarm, but I'm too burned to care much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll try it, but I really don't care for MOBAS. But then, maybe LoL really ruined it for me.