Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Pro Germania thread

Not a drop of German blood in these veins, and I give money to AIPAC sometimes. So I'm cool.

So what if Hitler had it on his Ipod. This predates the Nazi's.

This is good shit here.
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2014-07-05 at 07:44 AM.

Deleted
    What was this thread about again?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    What was this thread about again?
    I'm not sure either.. and I'm from Germany. It's a good piece of music though.

Maybe he likes the music but is just to frightend that someone thinks he might be a Nazi? That would explain the first sentence!

10+ Year Old Account
    It's about some drunk American on the forth of July, just wanting to give a little bit of credit to Germany. In a really stupid way.

Not sure if I should feel offended, annoyed or ashamed. Probably a bit of everything.

Edit: The marsh is apparently legit and still used in some regiments. No neo-nazi connection, so I just don't get it .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2014-07-05 at 07:55 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    Not sure if I should feel offended, annoyed or ashamed. Probably a bit of everything.

Edit: The marsh is apparently legit and still used in some regiments. No neo-nazi connection, so I just don't get it .
    The song was played in the third Indiana Jones movie, that book burning scene.

There is no neo-nazi connection, because again, I am just some drunk dude in the states.

edit: the purpose of this who post was to say, GERMANY! you have great beer and and great marches.

Deleted
    Well, Germany is pretty great. I enjoy the German culture and language though, I'm more into Czech beer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by donaheyzhen View Post
    I should feel offended, annoyed or ashamed.
    The whole point here, is Germany has nothing to be ashamed of.

Deleted
    Ah, there is nothing to be ashamed of.

The only thing annoying is that he thought he had to proof for himself that he isn't a nazi. And it's more annoying here in Germany. *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Except that 'we' keep voting for the same idiots every 4 years...

But I guess the beer is okay if you are into that kind of baverage.

Deleted
    Except that 'we' keep voting for the same idiots every 4 years...
    And I'm wondering all along why Merkel is chancellor, if everyone seems to be unhappy with her. Maybe it's all the fault of the older generation. :>

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    They have plenty to be ashamed of. Obviously. If a country exists for more than a day it will manage to do something it should be ashamed of. Like.. i dunno.. until recently (or has that passed yet?) not having an actual minimum wage. What you thought i'd mention wwII? That is so last century.

Edit: Worth saying for the record that Denmark does not in fact strictly speaking have a minimum wage.. not saying my country is any better
    Last edited by Xarkan; 2014-07-05 at 08:27 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    On the contrary. It has everything to be ashamed of. Just some things stand out more than others. Besides the Königsgrätzer Marsch is a very outdated march dating back when there was a Prussia - an ancient yet now non-existent region - at war with an k.u.k.-Austria still clinging to its HRE roots. I would only play it if I want look like a fool or some time traveller from 19th century. Unfortunately it is still being played. So, here's one reason to be ashamed of.
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2014-07-05 at 08:28 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    They have plenty to be ashamed of. Obviously. If a country exists for more than a day it will manage to do something it should be ashamed of. Like.. i dunno.. until recently (or has that passed yet?) not having an actual minimum wage. What you thought i'd mention wwII? That is so last century.
    It passed this week.

And yes, every country has something to be ashamed of, but there are countries that are treated to stick some things more out than others. And I'm not ashamed of being german. Every country has made huge mistakes and one deals with it more then others. *shrugs*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarkan View Post
    Just a drunk American here, but Germany paid its dues for WWII. She was split in 2 and subjugated to communist rule for 40 years as penance. That country came back in the 90s, and despite the high costs of reunnifcation, wich it bore entirely on itself, and emerged as one of the strongest economies in the world, if not the de Facto leader of the EU. All from a country that was but ashes and dust 60 years ago. Respect from me, they got it

Deleted

Are you German? In that case, you should always feel ashamed for being German.
    Or at least that's something they brainwash you with since your childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Railee View Post
    And I'm wondering all along why Merkel is chancellor, if everyone seems to be unhappy with her. Maybe it's all the fault of the older generation. :>
    No one dares to vote for the alternatives, as you essentially waste your vote on a new party if that party doesn't get 5% of the votes. The other parties are essentially the same as Merkel's, the green eco guys are just morons without a clue, and the social-worker party guys (SPD) just keep thinking all germans are fools. And yes, old folks usually vote the same thing they have been voting for the last 4 decades .

Btw, I didn't feel the need to defent myself, but usually when someone with a gun toting avatar with national symbolism posts old german militiary music, a couple of red flags are raised as to the intention, especially on the flame-bait, I mean the Off-Topic forums of MMO-Champion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    On the contrary. It has everything to be ashamed of. Just some things stand out more than others. Besides the Königsgrätzer Marsch is a very outdated march dating back when there was a Prussia - an ancient yet now non-existent region - at war with an k.u.k.-Austria still clinging to its HRE roots. I would only play it if I want look like a fool or some time traveller from 19th century. Unfortunately it is still being played. So, here's one reason to be ashamed of.
    Well it's part of our history, especially the struggle for unity in the 19th century. And i guess you as one from eastern germany should know about the struggle for unity, huh? It's something that pulls through our history like a common theme.

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Are you German? In that case, you should always feel ashamed for being German.
    Or at least that's something they brainwash you with since your childhood.
    Yes, sadly it is. At least the time i was at school. But it's getting better, a bit at least. :>
    Last edited by mmoc8f708671b3; 2014-07-05 at 08:38 AM.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Just a drunk American here, but Germany paid its dues for WWII. She was split in 2 and subjugated to communist rule for 40 years as penance. That country came back in the 90s, and despite the high costs of reunnifcation, wich it bore entirely on itself, and emerged as one of the strongest economies in the world, if not the de Facto leader of the EU. All from a country that was but ashes and dust 60 years ago. Respect from me, they got it
    Hmm the comment may have come off wrong, i did not mean Germans who live today should be ashamed of WWII at all, it was merely that that is what Germans get trash for. It has little relevance to the majority of Germans alive today, they had no part in it. It would be as absurd as it would be if i was proud of Denmark shipping off Jews to Sweden to save them from the Germans, meaningless, i had no part in that and probably had i lived back then not the backbone to do any part of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am not sure whether some debts can ever be repaid. Some of the repercussions last until today. As for payment. The East part was the only paying its reparations in full to Poland and the Sovietunion. Plus we had our Soviet brothers/overlords hunting down remaining nazis instead of letting them grab positions of power. I also think - wait, actually know that - the aftermath of the reunification has been grossly mismanaged in a lot of parts - to a degree where I am actually not actually proud of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Railee View Post
    Well it's part of our history, especially the struggle for unity in the 19th century. And i guess you as one from eastern germany should know about the struggle for unity, huh? It's something that pulls through our history like a common theme.
    Well, it's as outdated as playing the Kaiser Franz hymn (oh wait...).
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2014-07-05 at 08:46 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!