Deleted

[Anime/Manga] My top 10 worst cliches in anime/manga. (and what's yours?)

I've lived with anime/manga since I was 6-7 years old, I've seen great shows like Spice & Wolf, FMA, Ghosts in the Shell, Berserk, Ame & Yuki (one of the most beautifull and worthly thing I've seen), etc.., and I continue to "see" them because It has become a part of my world and my imagination..
    ...but in the same time, I begin to be really tired of those stuffs...

Because, for like 10 years (perhaps even more), I see over and over the same cliches, the same tropes, the same things who really annoy me and destroy step by step my enjoyment for anime/mangas.

I've many things I can't stand in manga/anime but I decided to do a top 10 of worst cliches...
    So let's begin to pull off all my hatred, this is my Top 10 worst anime/manga cliches!

10-The Pokemon Arc

I think you know how a Pokemon episode works.
    => Characters coming to Nowhere-land
    => Meeting forgettable characters when we surely don't see them anymore (or rarely) and helping them
    => Bad guys coming and making Good guys mad
    => Beating the crap out of bad guys and resolving in the same side-characters problems
    => Partying and leaving for new adventure
    => Characters coming to Nowhere-land
    => ......

Where is the surprise in this after 5-6 times?
    But sometime, some mangas/animes have the guts to act differently or put some good surprises. It depends how the author makes his story.

9-The White Knight Spirit

A male character doesn't want to hit a female one even she's a monster or endangered his comrades.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not mysogyn at all. I like very much when a female character is not the "lady in distress" and can fight back and I believe galantery is an important good manners aspect..
    But I just find It's not the case when a male character want to not fight a girl/woman just because she's a girl/woman.
    In my opinion, It's as impolite and unfair as being brute with hers. It's mostly like direspecting to what Chun-Li represents. A female character who can fight and being as strong as a man.

I think the male characters who has given me a huge bitter state about galantary was Sanji from One Piece at CP9 arc. (Between saving his friend from a horrible being and to not hurt a woman, he's chosen the second option?) and Kenichi from

8-The Snatch Moment.

"Have you ever crossed the road, and looked the wrong way? A car's nearly on you? So what do you do? Something very silly. You freeze. Your life doesn't flash before you, 'cause you're too ****in' scared to think .You just freeze and pull a stupid face"
    From Snatch, a movie I recommend you.

When protagonist use his "last-breath attack", the badguy, even the skillest and smartest one, does something really stupid......
    Nothing and take all of the attack in the face.
    This badguy is, most of time, supposed to be a profesionnal, having experiences from many battles, and should be like the Final Boss, the ultimate Antagonist and make the dumbest choice in the simplest situation.
    That just kills all the badassery and the threat from him..
    Each time I see a Snatch Moment, I've the feeling to see Gunnery Sergeant Hartman coming and shouting "Well, any ****ing time, sweetheart!"

7-Godlike Powers

In most of action or mecha anime/manga I've seen, powers/skills become ridiculously godlike.
    Reality distortion, Nuke destruction, having a mecha as big than the Universe and using galaxies like freesbies.
    I find it boring because, most of time, It has no tactic, no subtilities and absolute no controls. It just a power demonstration to show who has the biggest one.
    I really prefer when characters have not too big powers and must use its wisely, so we can have good turnarouds. It makes the fight more interesting than just the "Who push the Nuke button first?".

And strangely, more spectacular fights are, more they have non consistence...
    I find all of those bright effects and explosions are as palpable as air and I don't sense this feeling of "giving all of me to survive".
    It's no more than a kata, a over-the-top "Micheal Bay" theatrical scene.

Many action/shounen/meccha I've seen ended like this but I think the worst I've seen is come from Naruto.
    They're "Ninjas" with steatlh, infiltration, surviving trials at the beginning and, since Shippudden, most of theirs skills can vaporizing a mountain in a single move.
    Just imagine the next "Tenchu" or "Shinobido" game with Naruto stuffs...

6-HighSchool vs Fantasy

In some universes with a part of action/fantasy (purely fantasy or contemporary), the plot takes places in a goddamn Highschool where they train future "Humanity swords and shields".
    In those worlds, military armies, mercenaries and co. are just full of incompetents and they leave the fate of the world into student hands....
    I know those universes must appeal teenage people but, It's just freaking silly!
    Plus most of time, we don't see those saviors doing the most obvious thing when we mention just the word "student"........STUDYING!!!!
    How work their Highschool? How hard can be super-hero studies? There are students failling? We just see the building with books and blackboards.
    It's like throwing 6 dumb losers in those establishments and after 1 years, they're the next "Avengers" without knowing any details of how they've done.

5-Fanservice

I'm a dude, so It's normal to have a weak for erotism.
    For me, It's like restaurant dish. The first important rule is "presentation". It must gives me want to look, gives me a good impression and of course, gives me "appetite". But with an overuse of Ecchi, the dish transforms into an ugly and fatty piece of meat.
    I don't like when ecchi takes over the plot, scenario, characters,etc..just to make ecchi stuffs. I won't described every ecchi overused like ballon boobies or rainbow-color panties, there are too much.

The biggest exception for me is Monster Musume no Nichijou. Because I find it uses fanservice ""wisely""

But fanservice is not only about sexy stuffs. It's also:
    -Highlighting too much a single character over others who deserve more attentions. Like Erza Scarlet from Fairy Tail (for me, she's the living Fanservice bowl of this manga)
    -Over-the-top gory bloody gruesome moments just to make gory bloody gruesome and gives a false mature atmosphere.
    -Ressurect dead characters, time-travel, for nostalgic people...
    -Giving everything fans want (Naruto: the Last Movie?)

More fanservice become intrusive, more I think the anime/manga has nothing interesting to show.

4-The Big-Head Jerk/The Psycho Girl

Everyone hate different type of characters. I hate somes too but especially 2 ones: the Big-Head and Psycho-Girl.

-The Big-Head Jerk
    Like his name say, he's a arrogant and loudly brat who loves to show off with over-the-top exagerated poses and humiliate his opponent because "They dare to be on my way! I'm a God! Look how much I'm superior than you!".
    But, the thing It drives me nuts about them is when they've a "deep moment". They make once again a pose and talk like It has a sudden personnality change and make speeches who can be summarised as:
    "Me, I've not only the biggest penis of the universe but with it, I've find all universe truths and the meaning of life! So believe in me who believe in you, those who follow my path, the True Manliness path!".

There's too the teenage young boy wanting so much to proof to everyone his values he acts like a dumb arrogant macho-man and once he has been beaten, he cries like a baby for X episode/chapter, claiming "I've shown my weakness, It's too shamefull!!"

-The Psycho Girl
    She is really damn annoying for me. I rarely have empathy for her. Either is a hysterical mean mad girl who love hurting/killing people by the most disgusting way, either she's a merciless "Angel of Death" who has absolute no emotion and brutaly kill her targets.
    Plus when she makes this kind of slasher smile, I feel an urge to punch her in the face to erase this silly face...
    http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/...20120803020420

The Samurai Schoolgirl archetype is an abomination to me. It's nothing more than a sexual object in my opinion. An "otaku fantasm" killing machine who obeys her master who can do everything to her without objection..
    It's painfull and hopeless to watch this kind of character...

I put those both of them in one is because they've both common points: They're immature children who have no respect for life and, because nobody have the guts to tell the opposite, are persuased they have the right to hurt/dominate/humiliate/kill...

3-The Power of Frienship and Mankind.

I'm agree It's important to have something to cherish and protect, and friends can make the world better, but damn, It' has become a lame excuse for melodramatic moments where everyone crying and gives Deus-Ex-Machina power-ups, plot armor. It's overused, It makes fight finalities dumb, and the morale sillier..
    This picture explains very well this point http://i.imgur.com/zkz5sS1.png?1
    I'm sure that will make Twilight Sparkle of MLP a huge facehoof.....

But I can't stand the "Humans are good!" morale.
    Because, It's to say "You kill humans because you're nasty bad guys who think Humans are weak. We kill you too but we do for protect innocents, for justice and virtue...".
    That sounds really hypocritical! A war is a war! There is no "Good vs Bad" aspect. (exept in dumb stories).
    It's as hypocritical and dumb as bad environmental message but It works because It flatter human ego.

It was in Dragon Quest: Dai Quest where this aspect really killed me...Every action human characters did, It's for "Justice!". Killing, Explosing, Decapiting, and others merry-makings, even if opponents have feelings and friends too, It's for Justice and Good!
    Even when I was 8-10 years old, I found It's horrible.

2-The T.H.A.C.O.D (Teenage Handsome Action Character Overused Design)

The fact where every characters in a fantasy, action world are pretty, young, thin, without muscles, cute, moe, "boy/girl-band" appareance with a strange and fancy fashion taste..
    I just can't stand this damn design anymore.

The thing I really hate with this design is the plot takes place in a world with many battles, great threats, blood, and others happy stuffs.
    With those things, we should have characters with, at least, an athletic body, some scars, a "serious" face and when they fight, we fell they give everything to survive and win.
    But for "T.H.A.C.O.D" characters, whatever will happen to them, whatever how many living being they kill and how, they always keep this damn "smiling angel face", their body are always thins and when they kill something, It's like "just another day of work".

Plus, I can't get in a serious situation when all the characters look like fresh big-eyed 14 years old teenage with "carnaval" clothings...
    And I feel this is getting worse and worse. Look Shining games franchise for example.

Here, I can feel each character is different, they have a unique design. Some are pretty, some badass, some strange, some cute, some stupid, etc.. I feel It's living team with unique personnalities.
    Plus, they centaurs, wolfmen, hawkmen, robots, dwarves and co.

And now, look!

Do I really need to explain?!
    They looks like coming from the same top-model plastic surgical ****-head tin.

I won't describe "Final Fantasy" franchise. It was fun with FF7. Hard to hit with FF8 and after the 9th, I can't more....

And the cliche I hate the most is.......

1-The Monster Slaughtering

I know this is kinda strange but let me explain.....
    First, I'll be honest with you, I love monsters, I love animals, I love anthro characters, I love beasts, more a character looks an beast, more I love It.
    But It's not the fact I don't like seeing animals being killed, I can tolerate it. (for food, survival,etc..)
    The main reason I hate the Monster Slaughtering plot is I've see Japanese artits love creating creatures like Dragons, Werewolves, fantasy beasts, anthro/demonic/non-human characters, etc.. with badass, majestuous, ferocious, frightening, unique forms.
    It's so exciting to see different designs of those powerfull beings, those incarnations of Earth-Mother's Wrath, those feral aspects of life, those terrifying creatures who are above humans in the food chain...............but they're being litteraly raped by a single teenage character with a single attack.

If I stay polite, I am just not interesting in this thing.....

Seeing those huge, mighty monsters being lamentably overcome by young teenages with no muscles get on my nerves.
    A good example of what I mean, just looks RWBY teaser. (Not an Anime but looks very like a very cliche anime...)
    I was upset for hours after I watched it.

I tolerate Monster Slaughtering when characters have a very strong physique and powerfull look, like Guts from Berserk, Kratos from God of War or Barbarian from Diablo franchise because with them, I feel the battle is intense, realistic, terrifying, hard, a TRUE battle for life!.....
    Not with those overused cliche teenages with dumb clothing state who are powerfull because I-don't-know-what-magical-mutant-crap-reason!
    An exagereted version of "David vs Goliath" but where David cut Goliath in two with a Gun Buster Blade.

The only exception I've seen with Monster Slaughtering plot is in Shadow of Colossus. Not a fan of this game but, even if the character is a young man, when he fight those colossus creatures, I feel It's dangerous!
    To see this boy climbing on the back of those giant monsters where a single mistake is doomed by death, to their weakpoint and trying to not fall when he is on the top of the monsters head.
    I can accept it because I feel this boy make inhuman efforts to accomplished his quest. (Even If I find this is a very egoist one).

And the second main reason I hate Monster Slaughtering is because most of cliches I've quoted are in.
    -Pretty teenage Humans against demons with their powers of virtues.
    -Schoolgirl with katana against badass werewolves in a gruesome and senseless bloody orgy.
    -Big-head jerk and big-tits girls against anthro-characters in overpowered mechas
    -Etc...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So that's it!
    So what do you think and what's yours worst cliches?
    Last edited by mmoc2454e2f50e; 2015-03-26 at 10:53 PM.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Number 2 is annoying and true, yes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by BotFen View Post
    Number 2 is annoying and true, yes.
    Yep. It's very hard to me to take seriously this kind of characters in a world of violence. Even It's fantasy, It's quite odd.
    An other exemple plus number 6...

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Worst cliches?

The Fillers!!!!!

I'm loving your movie examples.
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    Probably the thing I hate most in anime is all the cringy sexual jokes. Almost every anime has these, and almost none of them are done tastefully. Maybe it's my culture, but I think a lot of "jokes" about breast size and panties are just childish and weird, and not very funny.

Or like...the main character will fall down and just happen to land on some girl's chest, and it's like "whoa! whoops!" and she's like "AAAAAHHHHHHH!" and then she bonks him on the head and 2 seconds later they're talking like nothing even happened. If that shit happened in real life you'd probably both be too embarrassed to speak to each other for at least a day, but they play it off like this shit happens all the time. Hell, with my luck if I ever fell on a girl's chest I'd be expelled. It's so unrealistic it just hurts me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by icausewipes View Post
    Worst cliches?

The Fillers!!!!!

I'm loving your movie examples.
    Sometimes, fillers can tell interesting things. But I can understand why people find them annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
    Probably the thing I hate most in anime is all the cringy sexual jokes. Almost every anime has these, and almost none of them are done tastefully. Maybe it's my culture, but I think a lot of "jokes" about breast size and panties are just childish and weird, and not very funny.

Or like...the main character will fall down and just happen to land on some girl's chest, and it's like "whoa! whoops!" and she's like "AAAAAHHHHHHH!" and then she bonks him on the head and 2 seconds later they're talking like nothing even happened. If that shit happened in real life you'd probably both be too embarrassed to speak to each other for at least a day, but they play it off like this shit happens all the time. Hell, with my luck if I ever fell on a girl's chest I'd be expelled. It's so unrealistic it just hurts me.
    Kinda agree with that. Perhaps Japan people are more "opened" about those stuffs but It's true It's odd.
    But like I've said, the only exception with this aspect I like is Monster Musume No Iru Nichijou.

SO do you just uhh .... not like anime then ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seibah View Post
    Are all animes like that?
    If yes, then no, I don't like (those) animes...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    THose are all the reasons I dont watch much anime at all anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Seibah View Post
    Plenty of anime that arent filled with cliché's.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ye, i dislike fan service and forced harem stuff a lot
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Fanservice is great, nothing wrong with random boobies.

And on topic of point 1 - i strongly suggest reading/watching monster musume. According to your description, you gonna love it.

so...you hate anime?

Deleted
    I barely watch anime nowadays either, partly for the same reasons, though I do like godlike powers when done right. I used to watch it all day, now I check every new shows first ep and watch 2-3 shows each season. I'm really hyped for summer animes actually, new seasons of Nanoha, Yahari, Danna and Gintama at least. Haruhi as well, which I'm still in the middle of.
    Manga and light novels give some way to more open series, since they can be done with smaller budgets and take more risks. Tate no Yuusha has been really popular light novel in the west lately, translated 3-5 chapters every week.

Why did you have to go and hate on Kamina? That guy is one of my favorite ever. Sure, hes a bit cliche in what he says, but he is downright awesome.

Also, I have to agree with others, do you just not like anime? I mean, sure, I notice a lot of cliches in anime now a days, but I still like the anime. Some annoy me yeah, like most stuff with harems in it while the main character clearly has feelings for one specific girl. This annoys me to no end. Its like, why have a harem if the guy Clearly likes only one of them? Are the others just that clueless and incapable of reading any of the signs?

I am also getting tired of the main character being an idiot / has a stupid weakness. Naruto started out as an absolute idiot. Natsu in fairy tail is an idiot / gets motion sick. Ichigo in bleach is nearing idiot. Goku in Dragon ball z was an idiot, but he at least had a reason. I don't expect the main character to be some genius, but at least not an idiot would be great.

Most anime around now has at least one of the things you listed.
    Last edited by Zantos; 2015-03-28 at 11:49 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    THose are all the reasons I dont watch much anime at all anymore.
    Glad I'm not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    Fanservice is great, nothing wrong with random boobies.
    And on topic of point 1 - i strongly suggest reading/watching monster musume. According to your description, you gonna love it.
    Sometimes, random boobies can be annoying (especially It happens very often. It gives the fell It's used to be a stopgap).
    But like I've said, Monster Musume is the Big exception. So exceptionnal It's my 3rd favorite manga with Berserk. (2 styles I use to not like but they're so well done It's damn enjoyable.)

Quote Originally Posted by kyoloco View Post
    so...you hate anime?
    Good lord, is that true? Do All animes content all those cliches? Not a single one tries to be different?
    So, if I follow this logic, Seirei No Moribito, for example, isn't an Anime, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mokapse View Post
    Tate no Yuusha has been really popular light novel in the west lately, translated 3-5 chapters every week.
    I must admit this one is surprisly nice. O_o
    A MMo Fantasy game universe-like but with a different and good story with not usual fantasy-world boring cliches. It's cool to say something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post
    Fan Service is what i find cringeworthy in anime usually, when appropriate or part of the story it's fine (Like with Yamada's First time) but things like high school of the dead, where every chance they get they show tits and ass in an anime about zombies, it's pretty hard to defend. Luckily so much good stuff in Anime exists, it's getting to the point that it's starting to outweigh the cringeworthyness, at least in my opinion.
    Yeah, "sex" fanservice, when It's the "purpose" of the anime/manga, I've nothing against it. Honestly, I find Yamada's First time funny and cute. ^^
    But in others fictions like Fairy Tail, HoTD and co., It's more painfull than exciting...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Why did you have to go and hate on Kamina? That guy is one of my favorite ever. Sure, hes a bit cliche in what he says, but he is downright awesome.
    I thought that too first, but when "I put sunglasses" and see behind his "light", I see an arrogant dumb reckleness loudy asshole. (Especially with Rossiu...)
    Plus, like Dark Schneider of Bastard, Zekka of Gunn Last Order or Date Masamune of Sengoku Basara, claiming they're "the manliest man of the universe", he acts like a child with godlike powers.
    My view of "manliness" is like "Metal".
    Men with a iron will, nerves of steel, very calm and cool in any situation, who don't explode from a single spark, and don't give a damn to be or not to be badass. (They're naturally by acting like this.)
    Guts, Harlock , Ryo Saeba, Jotaro Kujo are some good examples for me.
    And you can be surprise but I think the First Dante of DMC was cool but with 3th and 4th DMC, he's become a goody show-off boozo. And the 5th, in despite he looks like an emo junkie, I like him because I understand why he acts like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    Also, I have to agree with others, do you just not like anime? I mean, sure, I notice a lot of cliches in anime now a days, but I still like the anime. Some annoy me yeah, like most stuff with harems in it while the main character clearly has feelings for one specific girl. This annoys me to no end. Its like, why have a harem if the guy Clearly likes only one of them? Are the others just that clueless and incapable of reading any of the signs?

Most anime around now has at least one of the things you listed.
    It has exceptions, of course.
    Like Soul Eater, It has most of cliches I can't stand, but I think It's not the best thing but It was enjoyable and f***** hilarious .
    It depends, I guess. But I'm cleary tired with all those cliches....

10+ Year Old Account
    My #1 hated cliche is fan service. Why are you putting the camera so awkwardly low pointing up at some girl's panties? Is that supposed to be arousing? It's just stupid. I don't fucking want to see panty shots, it cheapens the story and characters. If I want that kind of shit, I'd watch a hentai.

There's nothing wrong with tasteful nudity, but when they go out of their way to do it and has nothing to do with anything, it really takes away from the story they're trying to tell. (Oh no, this demon is going to end the world.... Check out Midori's striped panties tho. Oh, look, her shirt just got wet and now and you can vaguely make out the laced bra underneath.... and now back to the end of the world)
    Last edited by Saverem; 2015-03-31 at 10:00 PM.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

The ones I hate the most are the high school backdrop. Not saying I refuse to ever watch a high school ones but it is rare when I find one to my liking. Clannad: Afterstory and Angel Beats are notable exceptions.

The no parents cliche also bothers me too. Orphans or parents away (indefinitely) or just plain mysteriously not present I find to be so improbable now that it is a definite turn off. It is not enough for me to reject an entire anime over it but parents not being involved at all especially highschool ones feels like a big gaping hole in the world not explained.

Fanservice is one cliche that does not bother me. I can definitely understand other people not liking it but I enjoy the occasional teaser to the in your face panty shots. The one thing that does tend to happen with the over the top fanservice animes is that the story sucks which would be my reason for not liking them.

The retarded, awkward main character, who either gets beaten by all girls or gets all girls, but is too stupid to act on it.
    And this is not only in harem animes, undecisive, INCREDIBLY dense main character is like a plague.
    Also, teenage MC with so deeeep history and experience in various things/events, that it becomes silly.
    Well, and bunch of other cliches

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    The retarded, awkward main character, who either gets beaten by all girls or gets all girls, but is too stupid to act on it.
    I changed my mind, this is the worst cliche. Hate these with a passion.

Only time I don't hate them is when they start retarded but then gradually becomes more bad ass. The guy in Black Lagoon comes to mind.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    And this is not only in harem animes, undecisive, INCREDIBLY dense main character is like a plague.
    Also, teenage MC with so deeeep history and experience in various things/events, that it becomes silly.
    Well, and bunch of other cliches
    Yeah, Rito of To Love Ru is a good example...So dumb, so slow, so...I just want to smash his face on the ground....
    And teenages characters who as skilled, experimented, strong as Rambo 4 is damn a disease...