GSK744 study about to hit phase 2.. wow.

So, Scinece, wow...
    I was reading today on how later this month an ongoing study into the viability of this once every three months PrEP injection is going into phase 2, which puts it around 5 years out of our hands.
    What is it? It's a class of drug called integrase inhibitors, which prevents HIV from intergrating into a cells DNA. Now we already have several very amazing pills that do this. It's nothing new, but what the shot offers is an answer to the high chance people who would want to take the meds for prevention or treatment missing a dose, because it would be one shot every 3 months. Lets face it, a shot akin to Depo- Provera would be much more desirable then a pill a day.
    There is also a little interesting tidbit about it's creation. Scientists used naotech to create the crystals that will slowly leak the drug into a persons system of the course of 3 months after injection.
    Anyhow If you are interested in the clinical trials try this: http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/N...lair&rank=3%22

So what do you all think? Yay Science? lol
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    So what do you all think? Yay Science? lol
    I think pharmaceutical companies will buy the patent and the injections cost will raise by 5000% just like the Pompe and Fabris medicines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shiift View Post
    I think pharmaceutical companies will buy the patent and the injections cost will raise by 5000% just like the Pompe and Fabris medicines.
    Umm... the drug companies already own it. That's who's making the drug? You're one of those people who hates on "big pharma" without really knowing why, I can tell already. You patent these things whilst you're doing trials and designing them, incase it works out to be good and then you don't risk anyone else backtracking later and making it as well.

Sounds great to me, Glaxo as well which is cool. I'm lucky enough this coming year at uni to be involved in a course that is sponsored by GSK and we do some work for them, make some stuff they ask us to and they test it. I heard that instead of our normal lecturers we get people from GSK to come teach us the practical side of synthesising these but not certain, I won't get anyone involved in this project but definitely cool to know about should I start speaking to them a bit.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.