Got a new hard drive, can't get windows to see it.

So I bought this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236624

I installed it today, and booted.

When I enter disk management, this is what I am presented with:

http://i.imgur.com/DpViFla.png

When I hit okay, this is what happens:

http://i.imgur.com/PelotSr.png

When I right click the disk, this is what it says:

http://i.imgur.com/LMTROWE.png

How do I make my Windows 8.1 see this new 2tb disk?

A good starting point would be to try it in another computer and see if it works there. Is this an internal HD? Did you install it in the PC itself? Or into an external HD enclosure?

10+ Year Old Account
    Also, read the drive's directions and make sure the jumper is set to slave or at least not set to master.

10+ Year Old Account
    The reason Windows doesn't see the disk is that it is not formatted, it is raw when you buy it, it doesn't have any file system Windows can recognize. Format it into NTFS and you should be able to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedon View Post
    Also, read the drive's directions and make sure the jumper is set to slave or at least not set to master.
    SATA Drive so no jumpers to set.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    The reason Windows doesn't see the disk is that it is not formatted, it is raw when you buy it, it doesn't have any file system Windows can recognize. Format it into NTFS and you should be able to use it.
    Pretty much, windows seems to detect it in Disk Management(Disk 1 is the new drive). You just need to format it so you can see it in "Computer" and be able to use it.
    Last edited by Dedweight; 2014-07-14 at 01:54 AM.
    3DS Friend Code: 1891-2236-0134

So after an hour of pulling my pc apart again, and troubleshooting the drive, I checked to see if it sees it in the bios, and it doesn't.

I've booted the PC down, and back into the bios and sometimes gotten it to read as a WC blahblah whatever. But as soon as I restart and head back into Bios, it's vanished.

I checked the sata and power cable, and even tried a different hard drive. The other hard drive was seen everytime, just fine.

When I replug this one in, the bios sometimes sees it, and sometimes doesn't.

I've tried it in different sata ports on the motherboard, and even tried a different cable with no success of the bios seeing it.

Do I have a bad drive? Or do I need to format it for the bios to see it all the time?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post
    So after an hour of pulling my pc apart again, and troubleshooting the drive, I checked to see if it sees it in the bios, and it doesn't.

I've booted the PC down, and back into the bios and sometimes gotten it to read as a WC blahblah whatever. But as soon as I restart and head back into Bios, it's vanished.

I checked the sata and power cable, and even tried a different hard drive. The other hard drive was seen everytime, just fine.

I've tried it in different sata ports on the motherboard, and even tried a different cable with no success of the bios seeing it.

Do I have a bad drive? Or do I need to format it for the bios to see it all the time?
    That drive is almost certainly DOA.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedon View Post
    ROFL. This isnt the IDE era anymore.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Format it. I would suggest NTFS with the default values.

What motherboard are you using, some older motherboards will only see sata drives up to 1tb.

Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post

If you get the same results in another computer, the drive is DOA. Could also try updating your BIOS.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

I'm using an ASUS Maximus VI Formula with a 4770k.

I hooked up another sata power cable to my powersupply, (Rosewill Lightning 1300) and it seen it again. Not sure if by luck, or what but after the bios saw it and I booted to disk manager, I still cannot initialize the disk.

How do I format it?

If windows will not format it you could try using a 3rd party tool like gparted or easeus to partition the drive for you, or you could use the "diskpart" tool in windows and format it from command line.

The drive isn't seen, and isn't possible to format due to it not being listed. I am just going to accept the fact it is dead, and try it in my friend's pc a bit later.

Damn, another DoA hard drive case. Best part is, I waited around for a few months to install it because I have been busy with work, so now I have to deal with the manufacturer directly.

This should be fun. Thanks guys, we tried.

Western Digital and normally easy to deal with, also that black drive has a 5 year warranty on it so shouldn't be too hard. best of luck