Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ok, statistically, it is more likely you're going to get a hydro explosion event than a full blown volcano explosion event. Secondly, thermal and geological activity in that area is normal because it sits right on top of a geological hot spot. Thirdly, using 3 data points to then guess when the next eruption will be is not statistically sound when you need well more than 3 to determine any sort of pattern. Fourth, a national guard preparing for an event that can happen is a good thing so we're less "chicken with our heads cut off" for when it does eventually happen. Fifth, dont ever ever ever use the Supervolcano docudrama as evidence of what would happen.

Just thought I'd head off any wacko arguments that are usually used for why this place will blow up soon...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Einsz View Post
    It will happen and its a well known fact among geologists. but yeah as of today we are 100% safe and for atleast 50 more years its impossible for it to go off
    what if we toss nukes into it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    what if we toss nukes into it
    that would most likely make it much worse. now instead of just ash and lava and dust you have radiation too.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that would most likely make it much worse. now instead of just ash and lava and dust you have radiation too.
    but in the movies nukes fix everything

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    but in the movies nukes fix everything
    Nukes could (in theory) make tornadoes disappear as for how long is debatable, but would make hurricanes stronger due to the heat of the nuke causing the water to warm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    "The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time"

Quote Originally Posted by Jingoism View Post
    Dragons are coming back, that's what is really going on. Remember that one movie where dragons destroyed everything? Pretty much that.
    This is my favorite post of the day.

Part one of the plan is to force everyone inland more, because, sea level rising. Part 2 is provoking an eruption. ^_^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warpaladin View Post
    Nukes could (in theory) make tornadoes disappear as for how long is debatable, but would make hurricanes stronger due to the heat of the nuke causing the water to warm.
    And raidoactive wind
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Yellowstone is not a volcano/super volcano /facepalm
    it's a caldera, and there's a supervolcano underneath it, if that's what you're getting at.

Try to get your hands on the Supervolcano series by Harry Turtledove, it is based on what happens if Yellowstone goes poof.
    Also see if you can find the docufiction Supervolcano from the BBC and Discovery channel, rather good that or at least I found so.

Link to the book(s)
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/...e/eruption.htm

Link to the docufiction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_%28film%29

Edit: The docufiction is on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjQvOWUJ2o
    Last edited by Risale; 2014-07-13 at 01:54 AM. Reason: added info

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are a lot of uber right-wing conservatist voices in America that sometimes/increasingly often use fear to push an underlying agenda. Liberals sometimes do the same too, not turning it political, I'd just say it's more common with the conservatists. In some cases like this it's often religious groups posing as news that there is some impending huge disaster and with the subtle or direct message for people to turn to god. Other times it's groups making it appear that the government is going to go in people's homes like the gestapo and take away your (fill in the blank) constitutional rights. It's usually absurd with not much truth just to stir up support for a cause that's more radical than in looks at first. Like many things, the truth is usually in-between. But in the case of these things you really have to filter and be critical to not be duped.

As for Yellowstone, it is a super-caldera and quite scary, far more than a large volcano. But it's got a pretty low chance to blow in our lifetime. Last I saw was like less than 1% in the next 100 years or something. If it really full-on blows it would be a big big disaster for the US almost on par with a large nuclear attack. You can look into it yourself, it wouldn't be pretty for the West and Midwest and would definitely affect the whole US and much the world food supply for quite awhile. I think they said Yellowstone to Chicago would be blacked out from the sun for ~30 days and in a large circle north and south. The US crops would be toast for that year, just to start. 911x1000 Quite a few scientists believe the last big explosion there diverted the Colorado River and rearranged a lot of the geography from there to Nevada.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcaffee View Post
    Try to get your hands on the Supervolcano series by Harry Turtledove, it is based on what happens if Yellowstone goes poof.
    Also see if you can find the docufiction Supervolcano from the BBC and Discovery channel, rather good that or at least I found so.

Link to the book(s)
    http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/t/...e/eruption.htm

Link to the docufiction
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supervolcano_%28film%29

Edit: The docufiction is on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AjQvOWUJ2o
    I cna tell you quite a bit of that is crap. Its got the basics more or less down, but any volcanologist just laughs at the movie.

- - - Updated - - -

it is a volcano. It is a caldera, which is a type of volcano. Not all volcanoes are the classic stratovolcanoes that are shows, like Mt. Sanit Helens or Mt. Fuji. Learn some basic geology first.

Yes it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    what are caldera's and how do they work?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

It's ok guys, John Cussack will lead us to the secret goverment super arks and save us. No need to fear the Yellowstone eruption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moogie423 View Post
    It's ok guys, John Cussack will lead us to the secret goverment super arks and save us. No need to fear the Yellowstone eruption.
    Sorry, that's fiction. When Yellowstone actually goes, everyone in the United States will be dead. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Sorry, that's fiction. When Yellowstone actually goes, everyone in the United States will be dead. Period.
    Hardly. The eastern half of the continental US would largely be spared, and most of the smoke plume would initially head west. The east coast wouldn't be spared the same problem the rest of the world would face though, which is a cloud cover of ash for the next decade.

Nothing you can say will sway my faith in the Cussack. Movies are real, you are the one who is living a lie!

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    By the way, if you want to see for yourself anytime you can get the real truth on all seismic activity anywhere in the world at http://earthquake.usgs.gov/. You can filter on size, last 3/7/30 days, etc. It's an interesting site just to see what is going on in the day if you're bored, especially when there are large events. Yellowstone has actually been pretty quiet in the last 30 days. There's been much more activity in Oklahoma (I'm sure it's natural lol, nothing to do with fracking, but that's another topic). Plus, if Yellowstone were truly explosively active, you wouldn't want to send National Guard anywhere near there. I'd send them to like Chicago or Indianapolis where they might do some good. Maybe Minneapolis or Des Moines.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually, only the Rocky Mountain States will have it that bad, although the ash will cover all the U.S in varying amounts. The U.S isnt going to up and die from the explosion. If you're worried about food supplies, Id imagine that's where international aid would come in, in addition to stocking up on canned goods and the like.

Deleted
    I was talking about China nuking your ass after it happens. Opportunities and all that.