Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I thought i was watching a movie, which was just missing the last hour. Curious how it will work out to 10-13 episodes or however many they do.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    The villians were a bit mustache twirly and the 'dad works too much and family suffer' storyline is so old, but it had great visuals and ill keep watching

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    my wife and i enjoyed the pilot episode very much, the counseling scene was a bit dry but the horror moments were fucking great. i got legitimately scared and i haven't felt that in a while....that poor man's head...definitely wasn't expecting a hulk smash to the head.

definitely going to be watching this series
    I was just thinking "Well I guess he REALLY doesn't want that guy to reanimate."

i want MORE!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I cringed so hard in the scene where they were inspecting the van, like what the fuck, it should'a been searched anyway ><

Really enjoyable and tense I must say, idk if its the atmosphere but it felt truely eerie in some parts, which is a plus.
    Last edited by Shampro; 2014-07-15 at 02:51 AM.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Watched the pilot, looks very promising! Then I came here and realized it was a set of novels...so I looked up the plot and I have to say I'm very excited for how this turns out I wonder how many seasons we'll get though, 1 for each novel?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    Inspired by this thread, I went ahead and watched the first episode. Will be watching this, I got some nice The Passage vibes.
    Now there's something I REALLY want to see adapted. Other than "vampire plague," it and The Strain don't have much in common. (I'm assuming having never read The Strain. I'm under the impression it'll stay in modern day, whereas the Passage goes all post-apocalyptic. )

Liking the Strain so far. Not quite what I expected. That's a good thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moritsume View Post
    Watched the pilot, looks very promising! Then I came here and realized it was a set of novels...so I looked up the plot and I have to say I'm very excited for how this turns out I wonder how many seasons we'll get though, 1 for each novel?
    Guillermo said that he wants to do a maximum of 5 seasons, that should be more than enough

Haven't seen it but I wiki'd the comics about it. So I'm reading the weaknesses of the vampires and they apparently can't cross running water. So... what about the underground water ways and stuff? Sewers, water pipes, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Goood god this was awesome. Can't wait for more lol. I'm really diggin the new twist on vampires.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    Haven't seen it but I wiki'd the comics about it. So I'm reading the weaknesses of the vampires and they apparently can't cross running water. So... what about the underground water ways and stuff? Sewers, water pipes, etc.
    I rationalise it as being a psychosomatic weakness rather than a physical one. If I remember correctly, the "worms" that pass along the infection pass along residual memories/instincts, so vampires being incapable of crossing water could date back to an ancient vampire who was utterly convinced (possibly by their societal upbringing) that vampires could not cross running water and that conviction was strong enough to be passed along down the lines when s/he was turned and started turning others. That's my theory on it anyway.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

Since ive read the books and comics, its an actual weakness. They can only cross running water with help, hence Gus getting paid to transport it across the river into Manhattan.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

So... what about the underground water ways and stuff? Sewers, water pipes, etc.
    I haven't read the books so I dunno, but maybe the weakness only applies to "natural" sources of running water, like rivers and streams?

Deleted
    first impressions where somewhat interesting. Going to give it my usual 4 episode's before I decide if its going to get followed or not.
    Yes the characters where a bit weak, and the script seemed forced at times, but it's a new show so need to give it a chance.

10+ Year Old Account
    Um...okay. I'm a fan of Guillermo and love his aesthetic and imagination. I think his characters, dialogue, and interactions can be flimsy, though. I had this issue with Pacific Rim too. The action and special effects were amazing but the protagonist was part snoozer and annoying. Corey Stoll's character in The Strain feels too similar to the lead in Pacific Rim. Cocky, annoying, macho-barfness, cheesy, cliché dialogue.

So, that bugged me but I did like the atmosphere of the pilot. It was definitely creepy and left me uneasy in parts. I also like the mystery of the corporation dudes and the coffin and whatnot. It's more than enough to keep me interested in the series.

I do have questions that hopefully will be addressed later on, though. For instance the plane victims...I don't understand how they were infected (drained?) so fast that they were all perfectly seated. If worms started coming out of the vents, or the vampire thing started flying around the cabin, people would be up and running around, trampling over each other, no? So if it happened really fast and they died suddenly...I don't get how that happened with the information given.

I also don't get how the plane was landed and just sitting there. Again, it didn't come crashing down due to the commotion on the plane or anything. So...I'm confused. Was the pilot mind controlled or something? Maybe the vampire has mass hypnotic powers? Can fart out sleep gas lol?
    Last edited by Bavol; 2014-07-15 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Witterquik View Post
    Um...okay. I'm a fan of Guillermo and love his aesthetic and imagination. I think his characters, dialogue, and interactions can be flimsy, though. I had this issue with Pacific Rim too. The action and special effects were amazing but the protagonist was part snoozer and annoying. Corey Stoll's character in The Strain feels too similar to the lead in Pacific Rim. Cocky, annoying, macho-barfness, cheesy, cliché dialogue.

So, that bugged me but I did like the atmosphere of the pilot. It was definitely creepy and left me uneasy in parts. I also like the mystery of the corporation dudes and the coffin and whatnot. It's more than enough to keep me interested in the series.

I do have questions that hopefully will be addressed later on, though. For instance the plane victims...I don't understand how they were infected (drained?) so fast that they were all perfectly seated. If worms started coming out of the vents, or the vampire thing started flying around the cabin, people would be up and running around, trampling over each other, no? So if it happened really fast and they died suddenly...I don't get how that happened with the information given.

I also don't get how the plane was landed and just sitting there. Again, it didn't come crashing down due to the commotion on the plane or anything. So...I'm confused. Was the pilot mind controlled or something?
    The plane landed and then went dark, in that time the master drained everyone on the plane.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    The plane landed and then went dark, in that time the master drained everyone on the plane.
    Oh okay. So the vampire attacked after the plane landed. I also just realized he was able to do some telepathy stuff to that airline guy and lure him over before snacking on him. So he must have used some Professor X mojo on the passengers which is why they were all just perfectly seated and bodies weren't all over the floor and stuff. I'm guessing/reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Witterquik View Post
    Oh okay. So the vampire attacked after the plane landed. I also just realized he was able to do some telepathy stuff to that airline guy and lure him over before snacking on him. So he must have used some Professor X mojo on the passengers which is why they were all just perfectly seated and bodies weren't all over the floor and stuff. I'm guessing/reaching.
    Hes a master and really strong, fast.

I really enjoyed it. It's like all the time Guillermo Del Toro spent on Blade II was just practice for this.

That's one hell of a hickey!
    Last edited by Ulgrim; 2014-07-15 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    Hes a master and really strong, fast.
    Well, strength has nothing to do with it. And even being really fast, he would have to kill and drain basically faster than the speed of light for NONE of 200+ victims to have a chance to react or show any sign of panic.