Thread: Hdd question.

Deleted

Hdd question.

Hello i am looking into getting a 3rd HDD for storing my content on.

where do i need to look out for?

also what does: http://www.alternate.nl/3-TB-harde-s...6?tk=7&lk=9566

refurbished mean ? its like the cheapest choice and cant find the rpm anywhere maybe sombody knows more about it would help

10+ Year Old Account
    By refurbished, they mean it was returned at some point, and they checked it out to make sure it's still ok to sell.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by abracmike View Post
    By refurbished, they mean it was returned at some point, and they checked it out to make sure it's still ok to sell.
    Ok but is it wise to buy an item like that? and what rpms do they have or is just luck of the draw ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkiey View Post
    Ok but is it wise to buy an item like that? and what rpms do they have or is just luck of the draw ?
    Refurbished, in most cases, just means used, but it could just be something like "returned new in box" where it left the warehouse but was never opened and returned. But you'll usually see things like manufacturer refurbished, which means that it was returned to the manufacturer and was repaired/whatever to make sure it was working. If it says refurbished, I'd assume that this means that it was returned to whoever sold the product, and they did that themselves. So basically, you're buying a used product, which isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. It's not really something I would do, unless maybe the price cut was so severe, and I knew for a fact that it was working correctly.
    Last edited by IRunSoFarAway; 2014-07-14 at 09:24 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by IRunSoFarAway View Post
    Refurbished, in most cases, just means used, but it could just be something like "returned new in box" where it left the warehouse but was never opened and returned. But you'll usually see things like manufacturer refurbished, which means that it was returned to the manufacturer and was repaired/whatever to make sure it was working. If it says refurbished, I'd assume that this means that it was returned to whoever sold the product, and they did that themselves. So basically, you're buying a used product, which isn't ALWAYS a bad thing. It's not really something I would do, unless maybe the price cut was so severe, and I knew for a fact that it was working correctly.
    Well i always get the waranty if it doesnt work i can return it. Beside that 3tb for 74 euro ... vs 92 euro ... around 20 euro cut.

Well i always get the waranty if it doesnt work i can return it. Beside that 3tb for 74 euro ... vs 92 euro ... around 20 euro cut.
    If you can get a warranty and make sure it's covered, and the price drop is worth it to you, then yeah, go ahead, it should be fine.

refurbished mean ? its like the cheapest choice and cant find the rpm anywhere maybe sombody knows more about it would help
    What content will you be storing, how often do you use that content and how many TB do you need? If it's only used to store data (movies, music, pictures etc.) I wouldn't care too much about the speed of the disk. A Western Digital blue or green would be a good choice in that case (blue only comes in low capacity versions). A black one is faster, but costs significantly more. On the site you listed a 3 TB green costs 97 and a 3 TB black costs 165.

I'd personally skip the refurbished ones. It's 20 euros cheaper, but you get lower warranty, you can't really say anything about what you're buying (no brand name, no cache, no rpm). Even the picture has a note below that tells you that the one you buy can be different. If you're really on a tight budget I'd contact the company for more information. I definately wouldn't buy a random product that's also refurbished.

Edit:
    The refurbished ones come with 3 month warranty, instead of 12-24 that's typical for new ones.
    Last edited by Delaios; 2014-07-14 at 10:01 PM.

I am a bit concerned by it being described as "bulk" indicating that they got an awful lot of them.
    Plus I agree with the other poster saying that the product can vary, which means it is not a single manufacturer and therefore you can't be sure as to who has refurbished them.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    What content will you be storing, how often do you use that content and how many TB do you need? If it's only used to store data (movies, music, pictures etc.) I wouldn't care too much about the speed of the disk. A Western Digital blue or green would be a good choice in that case (blue only comes in low capacity versions). A black one is faster, but costs significantly more. On the site you listed a 3 TB green costs 97 and a 3 TB black costs 165.

I'd personally skip the refurbished ones. It's 20 euros cheaper, but you get lower warranty, you can't really say anything about what you're buying (no brand name, no cache, no rpm). Even the picture has a note below that tells you that the one you buy can be different. If you're really on a tight budget I'd contact the company for more information. I definately wouldn't buy a random product that's also refurbished.
    well i need the hdd for storing content, like video content used for youtube and editted pieces etc.etc.etc.

Tbh, I have no idea if a 5400 rpm harddrive (which the WD green is) would be an actual bottle-neck for video editing. http://www.videomaker.com/article/80...-video-editing mentions a 7200 rpm harddrive as minimum. I'd check which speed your current harddrives are and go with something similar if you are happy about their performance.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Delaios View Post
    Tbh, I have no idea if a 5400 rpm harddrive (which the WD green is) would be an actual bottle-neck for video editing. http://www.videomaker.com/article/80...-video-editing mentions a 7200 rpm harddrive as minimum. I'd check which speed your current harddrives are and go with something similar if you are happy about their performance.
    got a ssd + 7200 rpm hdd so ye

- - - Updated - - -

So this would suit me quite well then ? : http://www.alternate.nl/Toshiba/DT01ACAxxx-3-TB-harde-schijf/html/product/1026606?tk=7&lk=9566

*just looking around seeing if the experts have anyting to add to this before i add it to my "beast"*

got a ssd + 7200 rpm hdd so ye

- - - Updated - - -

So this would suit me quite well then ? : http://www.alternate.nl/Toshiba/DT01...6?tk=7&lk=9566

*just looking around seeing if the experts have anyting to add to this before i add it to my "beast"*
    Yeah, that'd be much better than that other thing for sure.

It really depends on what item we're talking about as to whether it's okay to buy a refurbished one. I don't generally recommend buying hard drives in any condition but new from the factory. They are too susceptible to shock and wear to be reliable if you don't know their history. Additionally, the S.M.A.R.T. data for a used drive is going to tell you just how much it was used but you won't know that until you've bought it and powered it up. You're potentially taking a pretty big risk buying a refurbished hard drive that could appear to be okay (in terms of powering on, reading/writing data, having a stable OS, ect) and still be just a few hours of use away from failure.

Angry Buyer Beware

Watch out for refurbished hard drives, Download and Run the Program called Crystal Disk Info

I bought one 80GB Seagate refurbished and it has no bad sectors but it has 31,735 Hours of on time and a power cycles of 133 which tells me it was either in a server or a pc working 24/7

That is 3.61 Years of on time and its not reliable at this point so i will be returning it.

- - - Updated - - -

postimg (dot) org/image/alybana0r/