Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    Character customization is pretty extensive. Races, subraces, tons of options to fiddle with, tats, scars, etc.

You know what, check this out: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/
    That's totally insanly awsome tho.. you mean i can make over 30 characters.. without even buying the game :O (Yes i know you can't play the game useing this thing)
    That's pretty amazing. i'll give it a try :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draknalor186 View Post
    That's totally insanly awsome tho.. you mean i can make over 30 characters.. without even buying the game :O (Yes i know you can't play the game useing this thing)
    That's pretty amazing. i'll give it a try :>
    Also you can import your benchmark characters into the game by choosing to load a character upon going into character creation.

Oh and even your bloody retaibers(personal servants) can be customized in both looks and personality.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Also you can import your benchmark characters into the game by choosing to load a character upon going into character creation.

Oh and even your bloody retaibers(personal servants) can be customized in both looks and personality.
    and equipment once you unlock ventures(retainers hold items for you, basically your bank, also putting items you choose on the market board-auction house)
    you get to give them a class(not a job) and outfit them with equipment (there's also glamour-transmog in XIV)

wow copied stuff from FFXI, so why can't FFXIV copy stuff from wow?
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Had to move half a year ago so havent played for atleast 8 months. Tried the free weekend and got sucked in. Lots of improvements

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    and equipment once you unlock ventures(retainers hold items for you, basically your bank, also putting items you choose on the market board-auction house)
    you get to give them a class(not a job) and outfit them with equipment (there's also glamour-transmog in XIV)

wow copied stuff from FFXI, so why can't FFXIV copy stuff from wow?
    Ummm if you are reffering to transmog for the copy thing...Then ummm I have news wardrobe is a VERY old mmo function...WoW implemented it late anyways.

Also yeah FFXIV takes alot of influence from WoW just not that one lol.

And what did WoW take from FFXI,

15+ Year Old Account
    Amazing but about to be on backburners after I finish leveling all my characters to 50. Might have to end up farming Atma on multiple classes to have something to do. ><

It's amazing. I can't believe how much the game has changed since it's initial release. Especially the little things that got added like the idle animation. I fell in love with the game all over again with 2.3. Can't wait to finish Tales of Vesperia and resub to FF14.

The game really is a gem. I enjoy it thoroughly because of everything you can do on one character and how easily accessible a lot of the content is. That's not to say the content is easy (some can argue it is, but that's another discussion) I'm just saying that I can access the content when I want to and know when and how to get there should I choose to do so.

Yes, it's amazing how they just keep pumping out content. They have made so many small changes that have really improved the game. Even though I don't always agree with all their decisions I really respect the developers for how hard they must work.

Quote Originally Posted by shadofall View Post
    is leveling alt jobs still just pretty much grinding mobs/fates/dungeons over and over? assuming they are being done on the same character
    Yes, but isn't that what leveling is anyway? The did add the challenge log though which gives you bonus exp and gil for participating in a variety of activities each week.
    "Please find my dear friends.
    Dead or Alive" -redmakoto

Deleted
    I left the game for awhile and just got back into it and I'm loving how deep the endgame goes! Before I felt compelled to try and do everything the game has to offer but now it's reaching the point where I don't think that's possible and that to me is a sign of an awesome MMO. However, I'm a sucker for a good primal fight and Levi EX has to my one of my fav instances in the game (it's just a shame that I can't get a damn mirror).

Tbh is my favorite MMO atm and I play it since the ARR launch. I still play WoW but when I get bored I just log in XIV for a good fresh air in my system, the community is nice, the ambient of the game is gourgeous as are it's graphics and it's a very fun game to play with friends or alone.

Deleted
    I found the game really good but I wanted to play BRD and the queues time in the evening (GMT) were often 20 minutes plus so deterred me from playing on.

I quested by myself didn't have a company and found the levelling quite straight forward, the daily roulette gives you half a level + and really helps push you that bit further.

Didn't try the arena PvP but the raids seemed fun and pretty rewarding once you get in one.

As someone that played a lot of TERA, GW2 and WoW I can't help but feel the combat isn't really dynamic especially as a BRD, you don't need to move much at all and often I found myself jumping around to entertain myself, perhaps I should have tried monk. Just my opinion

Deleted
    BRD is insanely boring, you literally don't even use half the buttons other classes do, try a melee :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    BRD is insanely boring, you literally don't even use half the buttons other classes do, try a melee :P
    Even more so when you macro Heavy Shot, Misery End and Bloodletter in the same button....

Just browsing around I was impressed with this thread, and the fact that it's pretty much positive things about the game. Which after a year of playing, I feel quite the same way. I played WoW competitively for almost 8 years and after hop scotching around I landed on FFXIV:ARR for it's re-release. So I figured I'd give a little insight on it is well in a pro/con format.

Pros:
    *One character can do all classes/jobs - There is even a cheaper subscription model for only paying for 1 character per server.
    *The game is intensely bug-free. When an issue arises the developers waste no time in dropping servers to fix the issue.
    *Healthy end-game content: This ranges from single boss fights - Primals, to End-game raids such as 24 man Crystal and Sycrus towers (more casual), 8 man binding coils of bahamut - The more elite-esk of end-game with a recently released Savage version of the recent coils awarding unique titles.
    *Multiple avenues of leveling - Dungeons, Fates, Hunting Logs, Challenge Log, etc.
    *Balanced classes for the most part
    *After a long year, a much better thriving market economy
    *Retainers - Your interactive bank that can be sent on missions with a chance at rare items etc.
    *Free Companies - The games version of guilds with a leveling up system and buffs.
    *Free Company Housing - Small, Medium, Large with the option to buy personal quarters within the house. Districts are gorgeous.
    *Cross Platform Play - PCs, PS3 and 4, All play on the same servers.
    *Developer/Community Reps - One of my personal favorites is the great job the reps do on the official forums answering posts with thought and depth. Nothing generic.
    *Zones - While I'll also state this in the CONS, the zones are brilliant and designed great.
    *Great "Catch-up" systems always being implemented for players starting fresh or catching up for next major content patches.

CONS - Will try not to biased being an enthusiastic and avid player.
    *Zones - Bordered zones, with no real interaction with water and a lot of reliance on teleports
    *Blandness of most equipment - An example would be the end-game items all named High Allagan <item> of <type> . EX> High Allagan Bracelets of Fending etc.
    *Loot Distribution flaws - If your party decides you're the winner of the item and you zone before it is awarded the item is forfeited. While I know this is the fault of the player, accidents happen and it's tragic when they do. WoW's system of still awarding the item regardless if you're in the dungeon or not is ideal.
    *Rare Mounts - Rare mounts off primal are all re-skinned unicorns...kind of getting old
    *Mechanics - Most end-game mechanics are very unforgiving. Many are simply one-shot that needs to be dodged or you die. This of course is somewhat nullified by the unlimited amount of raises that can be cast during the encounter, although rarely saves the fight.
    *Wiping on an encounter does not reset cooldowns/potions etc. This is quite frustrating in terms of trying to make enrage checks on many progression fights and requires a lot of down time before another pull can be done.
    *Positioning checks by server - Much better than 8 months ago, but still causes problems. Could use even more precise server checks on positioning and feedback to other players - EX: You look like you're in front of the group, but to the rest of the group you look behind the group etc.

Good and Bad
    *Community - Can be really helpful and friendly, but can also be as obnoxious as League of Legends at times.
    *Endless amount of content - This is a hard one to explain, but to surmise it: I play quite a bit and still have a few jobs not to 50, and some things such as sightseeing and challenge logs not even unlocked. To some people sometimes getting things done can begin to feel like a routine and may lose some of the fun.
    *PvP/Frontlines - good because SE usually sucks at PvP, and the managed to make it somewhat enjoyable here with a nice unique system in place. Bad because there is only one 4v4 arena and not many frontlines options yet.

Well there is my scoop...sure I missed things but hopefully it gives you a hint at the game.

^pretty much this. I'd like to add that next patch (which is coming after next week) is adding personal housing (yay). This game has, by far, the best community I've seen in any MMORPG.

Picked the game up yesterday after trying out trial for a few hours. I was blasted away by the atmosphere of the world. The music, the sights, the way NPCs behave... It's truly beautiful. I hope I can stick to the game for a longer period of time, though I have a habit of abandoning MMORPGs after a month or so. This time, though, I feel like I've made an informed choice - I know the combat is massively inferior to Wildstar's or even WoW's, some animations seem just... fake, but yeah, the atmosphere is what made me buy the game.

I love the idea of being able to level all jobs on a single character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    Picked the game up yesterday after trying out trial for a few hours. I was blasted away by the atmosphere of the world. The music, the sights, the way NPCs behave... It's truly beautiful. I hope I can stick to the game for a longer period of time, though I have a habit of abandoning MMORPGs after a month or so. This time, though, I feel like I've made an informed choice - I know the combat is massively inferior to Wildstar's or even WoW's, some animations seem just... fake, but yeah, the atmosphere is what made me buy the game.

I personally couldn't stand the combat in wildstar.

Deleted
    FFXIV is seemingly always active unlike Wildstar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post

Once you level up more, the combat will get more dynamic and a little faster (GCD will lower a bit with some skill speed on gear). Yeah, its still not as fast-paced as WoW but I like it just as much and have no problem with it. Playing a monk in FF14 is about as complex as my enhance shaman or monk in WoW plus add in two different positional requirements for most of your attacks. Yeah, its got some good strategy to it!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!