Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Opinion of the quality of story so far in WoD? (Yes there will be spoilers)

Personally I think its been great. I can't remember another xpac where so much of the questing felt very important. Even story-heavy Wrath, you were doing stuff with a lot of no-names. While the stories were cool in Wrath, like all the Yogg hints, so much of the questing was not tied to the central story. (As a note, I overall really liked Wrath's story, especially Wrathgate, I'm just mentioning a lot of the filler quests, like the Worgen stuff in Grizzly Hills, which while cool, wasn't really important)

In WoD though, most of the quests feel very tied into the main story.

In addition, major, major events happen in questing which makes it far more interesting the first time through. We already have 3 major characters (that I know of, haven't actually done gorgrond/Talador yet to see if there are more, waiting for population to thin out) dying. That just doesn't happen in WoW questing. (3 major characters does mean the Shattrath event btw, Doomhammer, Maraad and Velen is who I'm referring to of who I know.)

So that's my opinion, what is yours?
    Quote Originally Posted by Unmerciful Conker View Post
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Very good imo. I was loving questing on my horde DK until I got a game-breaking bug that wont let me on him :P still loving the story though especially when khadgar comes back into the picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    WoD is looking really impressive and really looking forward to the lore and the changes they made.
    It feels like this is how cataclysm should have been with the updates.

Let's hope it only gets better!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

WOTLK is still no. 1 for me except what they did with Arthas at the end, Warlords could be my number 2 instead of pre-BC, but that's because it's hard to fuck up Warcraft 1/2 lore with all the background writing they already have for it from the first 2 games and subsequent books.

Cata and BC had a lot of interesting things happening (Dwarf wedding in Twilight Highlands , Outpost 15 defense in Blade's Edge ) , then there's the current expansion and its 50% china copy paste 50% strained attempts at linking pandaria to the rest of Azeroth, and a lot of stupid names like NZoth and Chi Chi zzzz.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Lawyer View Post
    WOTLK is still no. 1 for me except what they did with Arthas at the end, Warlords could be my number 2 instead of pre-BC, but that's because it's hard to fuck up Warcraft 1/2 lore with all the background writing they already have for it from the first 2 games and subsequent books.

Cata and BC had a lot of interesting things happening (Dwarf wedding in Twilight Highlands , Outpost 15 defense in Blade's Edge ) , then there's the current expansion and its 50% china copy paste 50% strained attempts at linking pandaria to the rest of Azeroth, and a lot of stupid names like NZoth and Chi Chi zzzz.
    Because Vezax just rolls right off the tongue right?

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

So far I have no idea why Blizzard advertised Velen or Maraad as being key characters in the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lincoln Lawyer View Post

WotLK? good lore? lol no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    WotLK? good lore? lol no.
    Well, there was the Ulduar complex... That can pretty much carry the whole expansion, right?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    Well, there was the Ulduar complex... That can pretty much carry the whole expansion, right?
    No, not for me.

Deleted
    I'm really liking what I've heard so far. Questing has been pointless to the overall story for too long. Everything has to be shoved in a raid instance, where it's about mechanics and teamplay, for some reason.
    Garrosh will probably die in AU Nagrand aswell, so we can add him to the list.
    I think killing off characters is what WoW needs, but not for the undeveloped chars like Maraad. We need Jaina or Thrall to leave the picture. They've become dull and annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So far I have no idea why Blizzard advertised Velen or Maraad as being key characters in the expansion.
    Because it greatly increases the shock value of them dying. It makes people really want to demolish the Iron Horde. WoW essentially has never had a chance to do this. They tried it with Theramore, but that was ofc restricted by gameplay in that the Horde could never be destroyed.

You had a bit of it in Wrath. But in the end, basically no one died. Its very hard to make it seem threatening to casual players.

Again, its like a Thriller/Horror movie where no one dies. You lose interest in the end once you know everything will be alright and you have no emotional attachment as you know the villain will completely lose at the end.

We know the Iron Horde will lose ofc, but not before they leave a path of destruction they've never done before in WoW.

While there are those who wouldn't know who those people are, no story for the most part would interest them. I'd venture a guess that those that have even a minor interest in the story know who these guys are.
    Last edited by Krazzorx; 2014-07-19 at 04:40 PM.
    What?! They said soon? Well you dont hear that everyday, I dont know about you guys but that has put my mind at total rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    Because it greatly increases the shock value of them dying. It makes people really want to demolish the Iron Horde. WoW essentially has never had a chance to do this. They tried it with Theramore, but that was ofc restricted by gameplay in that the Horde could never be destroyed.

You had a bit of it in Wrath. But in the end, basically no one died. Its very hard to make it seem threatening to casual players.

Again, its like a Thriller/Horror movie where no one dies. You lose interest in the end once you know everything will be alright and you have no emotional attachment as you know the villain will completely lose at the end.

We know the Iron Horde will lose ofc, but not before they leave a path of destruction they've never done before in WoW.

While there are those who wouldn't know who those people are, no story for the most part would interest them. I'd venture a guess that those that have even a minor interest in the story know who these guys are.
    Just feels like salt in the wounds. Draenei really getting beaten up this expansion, their cities are razed and sacks, large numbers of draenei have been killed, and they're losing one of the only active draenei characters.

It just feels like a "kick the draenei in the teeth" expansion.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like it, but the lack of Alliance power is very depressing. It was to be expected, but then again, I expected a company of professionals to finally know better. Guess not

For me, the fact that it's set in an alternate universe basically kills any interest that I have in the story. It also brings up a lot of questions for future expansions, especially where the legion is concerned.

I definetly like the new questing and the story is good because it has its warcraft roots elements and there is quite some brutal scenes which i love because theyare shown in questing

As a lore fanatic, I think the story is awesome so far. Having story in quests instead of just instances makes leveling more enjoyable. Not just is it good to have it, but the story I've read and seen in Beta footage is great. It's new like Pandaria, but is already partially seeded because of Outland.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Auxis View Post
    That horrid smoothie of norse and greek mythology? God no.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I'll never understand why people judge quality on "how is my faction doing" instead of "is this a good story or not?"

Deleted
    Just feels like salt in the wounds. Draenei really getting beaten up this expansion, their cities are razed and sacks, large numbers of draenei have been killed, and they're losing one of the only active draenei characters.

So, the AU Draenei have a better life than our MU Draenei, that's what you mean?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krazzorx View Post
    I'll never understand why people judge quality on "how is my faction doing" instead of "is this a good story or not?"
    Honestly, I do hope Blizzard stick its guns and ignore the factions cries once and for all.

Deleted

Their neighbours are the expansion's war-crazed antagonists. I'm not sure what you were expecting.